Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Greatest opening scene of a film

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Hmmm... I've not seen IG but have seen the other three, SPR has a fantastic opening (it's a pity the rest of the film can't live up to it) but I can't recall the opening to either of the other two. Surely the "greatest opening scene" would stick in the memory of everyone who watched it?

You can't remember the opening scene to Betty Blue ? :mad:

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
I agree with everything that's been said about Saving Private Ryan. However, I'd throw the very first scene of American Gangster in there when Denzel (Frank Lucas) sets fire to that guy, let's him burn a bit and then shoots him. The fact that film is based on a true story and events makes the impact even stronger and you know exactly what you're I'm for for the next 2hrs! Great film.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
One that's always stuck with me is the opening scene of The Victors.

Amazing. Shot from height and looking down on a snow-covered field with a guy being led out to a firing squad. Played to "Have yourself a very, merry Christmas".

Really sad.

Can anyone of you lot find that scene to post on here cos I'm useless at that?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The opening scene to Betty Blue left quite an impression on me at the time
There's nothing really very clever about filming shagging though is there?

Have to agree with US, I thought the opening to Saving Private Ryan was absolutely incredible. Obviously he had an obsene budget to work with, but we've all seen underwhelming big budget movies down the years.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
There's nothing really very clever about filming shagging though is there?

Have to agree with US, I thought the opening to Saving Private Ryan was absolutely incredible. Obviously he had an obsene budget to work with, but we've all seen underwhelming big budget movies down the years.

On a more serious note that scene makes an impact and does set the scene for a brilliant film - saving private ryan is a great scene and makes a great impact, the rest of the film is crap, similar to inglorious bastards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The opening scene to Betty Blue left quite an impression on me at the time

On a more serious note that scene makes an impact and does set the scene for a brilliant film - saving private ryan is a great scene and makes a great impact, the rest of the film is crap, similar to inglorious bastards.
I don't think SPR is crap, but after the opening scene it does descent into averageness. Inglorious was a complete nonsense but I have to admit to quite enjoying it.

And Betty Blue is indeed a good film on its own merits, even without the shagging.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Star Wars still gives chills.

Nods to Gangs of New York and you can't not mention Pulp Fiction.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
For me it has to be the start of the Italian Job, the original not the remake. Really classy, great photography, good music and a Lamborghini Miura. Sets the tone for the whole movie. The ending isn't too shabby either.

Just noticed that Michael's brother Stanley gets a credit too. I presume that's who it is.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
For me it is

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

For the skill of film making.

Is absolutely the right order.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron