The Greatest opening scene of a film

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hmmm... I've not seen IG but have seen the other three, SPR has a fantastic opening (it's a pity the rest of the film can't live up to it) but I can't recall the opening to either of the other two. Surely the "greatest opening scene" would stick in the memory of everyone who watched it?

The opening scene in IG is brilliant. Fantastic dialogue with wit; Tarrentino at his absoulte best.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The other point about Inglorious Basterds is that it's a single take. There isn't a single cut, right until the end of the sequence.

That's what lifts it from great to incredible, IMO.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Saving Private Ryan wins hands down, directing in that by Spielberg was unbelievable.

not sure i can take any more... the beach landing is NOT the opening scene. the film starts in the cemetary, and im sure no one is claiming thats the greatest scene. the beach would win the greatest SECOND scene of a film hands down, arguably greatests cinematic scene ever. but it has to be disqualified from this topic.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The other point about Inglorious Basterds is that it's a single take. There isn't a single cut, right until the end of the sequence.

That's what lifts it from great to incredible, IMO.

Is this the case? If so a very good point. How long is it by the way? It's a good 20 minutes yeah?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports