Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Friday night Arcade Fire fancy dress roll call thread

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Firstly, I must say I thought the performance of the Band, the set-list and the various fun elements they added were fantastic last night. I also really enjoyed meeting some fellow NSCers in the Atlas beforehand - boy, that was a busy pub!

But why oh why did AF choose Earls Court as a venue? It was truly horrible. The acoustics were the worst I've ever experienced in 30+ years of gig-going. The sound was completely muddy - all we really got was drums and a penetrating bass that made everything vibrate - don't get me wrong - I love being able to feel the bassline at a gig but this was ridiculous!

We chose to get seats because Mrs CP03 isn't the tallest and doesn't like the crowds when standing. We had Row B in one of the blocks nearest the standing area and level with the sound desk - on paper so far so good?. Our seats were higher than the lighting rig! The drop down to the standing area and the stage created a barrier that any band would struggle to bridge - and AF gave it a real go.

London and the UK have some terrific indoor venues these days - Earls Court either needs a complete revamp or to be used for exhibitions only.
This was my point - no criticism of the band - great songs, energetic performance, great visuals but the sound at EC is awful. Won't be hurrying back to EC in a hurry. I still remember meeting the band in 2004 when they were just starting out and getting my copy of 'Funeral' signed and felt back then that they had a big future. Next time, play the flippin O2 not EC!!!

LeTiss

May 20, 2010
Southwater, Horsham
A 1970's Eastern Block Concert Hall is a good shout, its an awful hanger of a venue. However I thought AF carried it off tremendously well.

I was sat at the back and the sound was muffled for the first couple of numbers but they soon sorted it out.

For those of you going tonight enjoy and make sure you check out Lorde's set, you lucky people.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
A 1970's Eastern Block Concert Hall is a good shout, its an awful hanger of a venue. However I thought AF carried it off tremendously well.

I was sat at the back and the sound was muffled for the first couple of numbers but they soon sorted it out.

For those of you going tonight enjoy and make sure you check out Lorde's set, you lucky people.

That's exactly what I thought - pleased that it wasn't just my imagination.

How was the whole spectacle from the back? Did the second stage get in the way of the main one? I don't suppose that was the case for you as the seats were so high up - but what about those who were standing at the back?

I'd imagine that your view would be similar to the one many of those who will be there at Glastonbury will have, and I expect AF to absolutely kill it there.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This was my point - no criticism of the band - great songs, energetic performance, great visuals but the sound at EC is awful. Won't be hurrying back to EC in a hurry. I still remember meeting the band in 2004 when they were just starting out and getting my copy of 'Funeral' signed and felt back then that they had a big future. Next time, play the flippin O2 not EC!!!

Or a two week residency at the Brighton Centre. :wink:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Could anyone post up a rough set list? Seeing them next week and curious to know what songs to expect...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Could anyone post up a rough set list? Seeing them next week and curious to know what songs to expect...

You're in for a treat.

As an aside, having read a few gig reviews, the critics are piling on the praise of the live shows.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
You're in for a treat.

As an aside, having read a few gig reviews, the critics are piling on the praise of the live shows.

Got a link or two for the lazy sods amongst us?

I listened to XFM last night - they were broadcasting live from Earls Court. It sounded great.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
But why oh why did AF choose Earls Court as a venue? It was truly horrible. The acoustics were the worst I've ever experienced in 30+ years of gig-going. The sound was completely muddy - all we really got was drums and a penetrating bass that made everything vibrate - don't get me wrong - I love being able to feel the bassline at a gig but this was ridiculous!

We chose to get seats because Mrs CP03 isn't the tallest and doesn't like the crowds when standing. We had Row B in one of the blocks nearest the standing area and level with the sound desk - on paper so far so good?. Our seats were higher than the lighting rig! The drop down to the standing area and the stage created a barrier that any band would struggle to bridge - and AF gave it a real go. .

Agree with you on the sound, too much bass and distortion from the seats where we were for AF. Lorde, being less bass-driven was clear as a bell. We were dancing in the aisles but told to sit down and go back to our seats a few times. Win said the Friday crowd were the loudest they'd ever had singing a song that I now can't remember (poss No Cars Go?). He announced Paul McCartney for the encore set, the paper mâchés played Helter Skelter, the Mac didn't come on, slight delay and they launched into another song. Very strange. Great gig, songs still spinning in my head. Very few people dressed up for it from what we saw. Earls Court now being knocked down and blocks of flats being built.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
See post 67. Friday night's complete set list.

Where are you seeing them?

At Northside Festival in Denmark so probably won't have as many bells and whistles, but they've got a hefty slot length so should still be pretty grand.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Fantastic gig last night, managed to get right to the front so no major issues with the sound. The setlist was perfect and the final track Lights along with the opener Reflector were the highlights for me.

An epic weekend of concerts for me with Chromeo who were also superb at the Camden Roundhouse the night before. Next gig the War on Drugs at the Concorde 2.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
We were 20 meters or so from the front and central which was easy to get to and sound was fine there. Great gig can't wait to see them again at Glasto.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Oh I had a great time Saturday night, thought AF were immense.

I'm no great fan of Earls Court (even when the GBBF was there), and I think its being knocked down for flats, though I think there is a campaign to save it.

I think it helped that I had a standing ticket, I got myself about 1/4 of the way back from the stage, and the sound was fine.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup. They were very special last night. Especially from sidestage as well...(sorry)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yup. They were very special last night. Especially from sidestage as well...(sorry)

Good work. I'm guessing you were there with Royal Blood?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here