Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Friday night Arcade Fire fancy dress roll call thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Poor man's British Sea Power.

A thousand % the other way round. Saw BSP at Latitude a few years ago and it was the most underwhelming gig I have ever been to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm sure even the most ardent 'Fire' fan would admit that their material can be hit or miss. Some stellar moments mixed in with generous helpings of dirge. Collate all of their best stuff and it'd amount to 1.95 absolutely untouchable albums and, as much as I appreciate them and all their kookiness, in the same way that I worship David Byrne for that exact same reason, I don't often think "I really must slap on an Arcade Fire album." Hopefully seeing them live will warm me cockles and I'll be able to overcome these troublesome concerns.

Can't quite agree with that, particularly in regards Funeral, their debut album. I would say there is 3 bad songs on that album MAX. Probably 2.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Can't quite agree with that, particularly in regards Funeral, their debut album. I would say there is 3 bad songs on that album MAX. Probably 2.

I don't mind Funeral at all. As said above, Reflektor for me was a disappointment, especially with James Murphy in the mix. I wanted to like it, don't get me wrong. Some great stuff on Neon Bible, probably my second favourite after The Suburbs.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Saw them at primavera last night, it was a cracking show, couldn't have asked for a better set list.

Funeral>Reflektor>Neon Bible>>>>>>>>>> The suburbs.

Seems like the band agree with me judging by the set list.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saw them at primavera last night, it was a cracking show, couldn't have asked for a better set list.

Funeral>Reflektor>Neon Bible>>>>>>>>>> The suburbs.

Seems like the band agree with me judging by the set list.

I'd pretty much agree with this, although with less > signs between Neon Bible and The Suburbs, which I think is a great album, but less great than the others. I am in no way jealous of you, being in Barcelona, being at Primavera, and all that.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Friday for me, HT, as you know - and my cravat arrived AGES ago. We can't leave until around 4pm on Friday, so will make plans to meet - train from Brighton? [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and Mrs Hamilton will also be joining us.

Hugely looking forward to this!

I have a cravat plan B. We're staying in London so we will have to meet you in Earls Court; I'll look up a pub to meet in.

The Atlas is a nice little pub around the corner from West Brompton station (change at Clapham Junction from Brighton) and about 5 or so minutes walk from Earls Court. I reckon this is a winner.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Funeral is my favourite by far - love all the songs, except the plodding Crown of Love. After that, diminishing returns. No Cars Go, Keep The Car Running and The Well And The Lighthouse are the only songs I would look forward to on Neon Bible. The Suburbs - feel tired just thinking about it, although there are about four standouts. Reflektor I'm afraid I have no time for.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The Atlas is a nice little pub around the corner from West Brompton station (change at Clapham Junction from Brighton) and about 5 or so minutes walk from Earls Court. I reckon this is a winner.

Thanks CC, sounds ideal. Shall we aim for The Atlas then, HT?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funeral is my favourite by far - love all the songs, except the plodding Crown of Love. After that, diminishing returns. No Cars Go, Keep The Car Running and The Well And The Lighthouse are the only songs I would look forward to on Neon Bible. The Suburbs - feel tired just thinking about it, although there are about four standouts. Reflektor I'm afraid I have no time for.

Funeral is an incredibly high water mark but The Suburbs is a superbly complete album; another classic but for differing reasons IMHO. Reflektor is still getting multiple plays from me and is a regular on my running iPod. Time will tell where I place it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Funeral is an incredibly high water mark but The Suburbs is a superbly complete album; another classic but for differing reasons IMHO. Reflektor is still getting multiple plays from me and is a regular on my running iPod. Time will tell where I place it.

Herr T, it's mostly me - I'm no longer capable of digesting a double album. My attention span has contracted alarmingly. I blame society. Actually, I regret my rather sour post - this was supposed to be a thread about a big night out, so, instead, I'll wait for you to give us a review of the evening. When you're ready.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
We're going on the Friday.

The Mrs is intending to go as Liza Minnelli as she has an appropriate wig floating around after a run out as Gladys Pugh in a recent show in our village.

I'm at a loss as to what to wear - although my brother has suggested I go as a Matisse Cut-out on the basis that we're going to that exhibition at the Tate that afternoon.

Is The Atlas a general NSC gathering or by invitation only?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr T, it's mostly me - I'm no longer capable of digesting a double album. My attention span has contracted alarmingly. I blame society. Actually, I regret my rather sour post - this was supposed to be a thread about a big night out, so, instead, I'll wait for you to give us a review of the evening. When you're ready.

No problem. Music is about opinions and , unlike my politics, I rarely if ever criticise other people's musical views, or feel the need to defend my own.

As an aside and inspired by this thread I have been listening to The Suburbs this morning and for me it is such a classy and complete album. They have grown magnificently from an indie band into a superb world-straddling alt-rock outfit in my mind.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For me The Suburbs is their best by a country mile, just a great all-round album (Sprawl II - come on! - superb track, superb video) whereas Funeral is the last of their albums I'd ever put on if I had them all in my hand.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I swapped my Friday night tickets for Saturday as I'm seeing Chromeo at the Camden Roundhouse Friday so I'll be drinking in the Brewdog pub Camden that night.

I've got a spare standing ticket Saturday if anyone is interested?

Suburbs
Funeral
Reflector
Neon Bible

In terms of order of quality.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

My Body Is A Cage is a stunning song. Also I ruddy love Crown Of Love - something really nice and warmly retro about it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The gold sequinned cravat has arrived!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here