Is it time to forgive the Duke?

• Yes it's time to forgive

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • No, it's a little bit too soon yet

Votes: 130 97.0%

• Total voters

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
The recent death of Lester Piggott reminded me that he was stripped of his OBE when he was imprisoned for tax fraud.

Andrew Windsor still holds his awards: Knight Commander of the Victorian Order (KCVO) and a Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG)

You couldn't make it up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The recent death of Lester Piggott reminded me that he was stripped of his OBE when he was imprisoned for tax fraud.

Andrew Windsor still holds his awards: Knight Commander of the Victorian Order (KCVO) and a Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter (KG)

You couldn't make it up.

He was allowed to keep the Knight (of the) Upright National Treasure though.

In fact I think they awarded him a second one.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Royal Flunky: "News of support for your re-introduction into public life on Good Morning Britain this morning Sir."

Prince Andrew: "At last! Who's speaking up for me? Emily Maitlis? David Attenborough? Stormzy? Don't tell me - my useless brother has finally grown a pair?"

Royal Flunky: "Err, no Sir. The Archbishop of Canterbury."

Prince Andrew: "Oh ffs. Back to Wordle."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Perhaps he hasn't personally, he has not admitted to anything and we live in a land where you are innocent until proven guilty but hanging around and being friends with two convicted sex offenders was undesirable to say the least so he has made errors of judgement.

that is a Very problematical argument isn’t it!

I played cricket many years ago with a guy and was very friendly with him as he was a fellow Albion fan and turned out he was “ interfering” with the young players in his charge. Never ever a clue!!!!!

Think he ended up in Australia.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh the grand old Duke of York
He paid £12million
To someone he had never met
For something he had never done

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
What disgusts me is the the CoE, in common with many other religions, that has an appalling record of covering up child sexual abuse cases for decades is so quick to play the forgiveness card towards people like the DoY.

How does the ABoC think an appeal like this sounds towards those victims of sexual and physical abuse by CoE priests, nuns and the like? Those victims that have been traumatised for years and are still fighting for justice. Those victims that have died without seeing their abusers punished for their horrific crimes. All because the Church from the top to the bottom has been complicit in covering up the problem in their house for generations.

As I say, it's not even just the CoE - it's across the religious spectrum - but this statement by the most senior cleric in the country sickens me.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
What disgusts me is the the CoE, in common with many other religions, that has an appalling record of covering up child sexual abuse cases for decades is so quick to play the forgiveness card towards people like the DoY.

How does the ABoC think an appeal like this sounds towards those victims of sexual and physical abuse by CoE priests, nuns and the like? Those victims that have been traumatised for years and are still fighting for justice. Those victims that have died without seeing their abusers punished for their horrific crimes. All because the Church from the top to the bottom has been complicit in covering up the problem in their house for generations.

As I say, it's not even just the CoE - it's across the religious spectrum - but this statement by the most senior cleric in the country sickens me.

in the old days sexual abuse and domination was used as a form of control and subservience , it was the way it was back then and i"m talking through the middle ages until probably the early 60's in some cases .....all we can do is try to support the victims of those situations and try to ensure that it doesn't happen any more and if it does it is criminalised , the sad fact is that on a global basis domestic and sexual abuse is a major problem , it is no longer institutionalised it is now at large , out in the public domain ....perhaps we , as a race , aren't that nice...!!??

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Apparently he won’t be at the service in St Paul’s later because “he has Covid”.

Yeah right.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Apparently he won’t be at the service in St Paul’s later because “he has Covid”.

Yeah right.

What frightfully dreadfully awful timing for her majesty, Prince Andrew must be devastated at having to conveniently miss the celebrations, I mean, of all the times to get Covid when there are so few cases around, that really is extremely bad luck wouldn’t one say.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I agree , testing positive is the perfect way to keep him out of the public glare but yet still see his family I suspect .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Mr Welby seems to know that Prince Andrew is guilty. Anyway, I think it would be fairer if the Archbishop asked us to forgive anyone who's made these alleged mistakes, otherwise it's elitist.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
What frightfully dreadfully awful timing for her majesty, Prince Andrew must be devastated at having to conveniently miss the celebrations, I mean, of all the times to get Covid when there are so few cases around, that really is extremely bad luck wouldn’t one say.

I'm sure he'll keep himself amused in isolation, rifling through his Jimmy Saville 'signature' scrap book

The chances of him actually having covid are slimmer than Gary Gilmours eye lids

But there's always hope he picked up a new new killer monkey variant that strangles the balls and works its way up to the neck

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Saw an interview this morning with the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby where he said it's now time to forgive Prince Andrew, The Duke of York and he is making amends for previous errors, society is a pretty unforgiving place these days.

Well, it's really just one high profile establishment figure trying to smooth the return of another high profile establishment figure back to a life of privilege.... but I am not sure Justin Welby should feel empowered to advise on the time span of public disdain towards the D of Y......

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Iam not sure Justin Welby should feel empowered to advise on the time span of public disdain towards the D of Y......

I can't image the Archbishop of Canterbury would have passed comment on the disgraced son of the Head of The Church of England and the Monarch without the tacit agreement / approval of the Palace. I'm sure this was Welby 'testing the waters' of public opinion on behalf of the Royal Family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here