stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Currently left:-

ESL: 302
ESU: 278
North: 338
WSL: 288
WSU: 390 (very surprised - these usually sell first)
Shelf: 160
South: 106

Edit - A further block of 100+ just been made available in E1H

Not fussed how many we'll in the WSU. They are behind the cameras.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I make it, theres 2,377 left. so we have 681 less than yesterday but there does seem to be a few added from yesterday. So I reckon we will sell about 1,000 tomorrow. I'm thinking there will be about 29,000 there tomorrow.

Feb 14, 2010
The rest of this post is waffle that we'd all love to agree with, but is merely an attempt to hide the truth - we have had periods where our support has been terrible. We're not a small club and never have been, but you constantly talk as if our support has always been massive. It simply hasn't.[/QUOTE]

Simster, I remember that season well and I would agree that was a rare season where the support was not the usual highest in the division we were playing in. Although there were a few games notably Shef W where the declared crowd even had the police laughing! However I agree that season was not the biggest support down the Goldstone. There were again reasons or waffle as you call it. Brighton had been in decline since 1984, after the Catlin sacking there was unrest about the club even then, the Mullery return a disaster and the fans never did accept Barry Who as he was known. We had just got back from the 3rd division after Barry Who had got us promoted just behind Sunderland (who incidentally had only a few thousand more than us that season). This is not waffle, its analysis. Historically Brighton for the division it has been in has more often than not had greater support than everyone or almost everyone in the same division despite no success and almost always being a lower league club. I think however we actually agree with each other as I also agree that we never have been a small club but that our gates have not always been massive for many various reasons, notably a lack of success. It is however right to say that say Shef W say they have a massive support. However as someone pointed out that when in the same division, the goldstone gates were more often than not bigger than the ones at their place when playing each other. Brighton have always had the gift of a very large support and as for tomorrow, well 28000 / 29000 is not too bad for a midweek on telly at an out of town ground with no car parking. That fact alone rules out allot of people and the location of Falmer does mean that many fans in places like London will mean that many wouldnt even consider going. Without patting myself on the back, I always sad that when they build a ground, the club would fill it, unlike Millwall and Reading. I and others like me, were right. The next step is to build a team of op flight quality and then they will have to expand it, because 30,000 for premier league football with the likes of Arsenal at the Amex would not be enough. Sorry to waffle.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
What do you mean "no car parking" ? There are 2 car parks that are never full, for which anyone can pay to use. There are then 3(?) park and ride services, for which there is no extra charge. I don't think many other grounds provide that much parking do they?

Feb 14, 2010
What do you mean "no car parking" ? There are 2 car parks that are never full, for which anyone can pay to use. There are then 3(?) park and ride services, for which there is no extra charge. I don't think many other grounds provide that much parking do they?

Its not the same as driving to a side street and parking up. Park and ride is something that personally I would never do (fair play to those that do) and yes sure you can book in advance a car parking space but again its organisation, cost and well not the same as parking in a street near the ground where you dont have to think about it. That is not a moan by the way, I understand why the ground was built at Falmer but there are transport issues which Im sure will get better as the years go on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Its not the same as driving to a side street and parking up. Park and ride is something that personally I would never do (fair play to those that do) and yes sure you can book in advance a car parking space but again its organisation, cost and well not the same as parking in a street near the ground where you dont have to think about it. That is not a moan by the way, I understand why the ground was built at Falmer but there are transport issues which Im sure will get better as the years go on.

Out of interest what is your other log-in name on NSC ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

But there IS car parking, and lots of it, and a lot of it requires no further payment. I believe you can pay on the day for the bridge car park can't you? No parking is not an excuse IMO.

Feb 14, 2010
But there IS car parking, and lots of it, and a lot of it requires no further payment. I believe you can pay on the day for the bridge car park can't you? No parking is not an excuse IMO.

I parked there once and I think it cost a tenner. No big deal, but it did take a call to sort out. As for excuse, then what excuse is needed, the Albion are getting around 29000 tomorrow for a midweek game and the Albion are the best supported club in the division and bigger than a third of the Premier League, so why do they need an excuse.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I parked there once and I think it cost a tenner. No big deal, but it did take a call to sort out. As for excuse, then what excuse is needed, the Albion are getting around 29000 tomorrow for a midweek game and the Albion are the best supported club in the division and bigger than a third of the Premier League, so why do they need an excuse.

I thought with this comment you were suggesting that 28k is a good crowd, considering there are no car parks, people use the grounds location, and apparent "no parking" as an excuse not to come.

...at an out of town ground with no car parking. That fact alone rules out allot of people and the location of Falmer does mean that.....

Are you suggesting that if there was some sort of extra car parking nearer the ground, or cheaper, then we'd have more people coming? Sorry if I misunderstood. When I go to a football ground, if I'm driving, I find out where to park, in this day it is made so easy with club websites, away ground guides etc, I shall do the same on Sunday morning before I set off for Derby.

Feb 14, 2010
I thought with this comment you were suggesting that 28k is a good crowd, considering there are no car parks, people use the grounds location, and apparent "no parking" as an excuse not to come.

Are you suggesting that if there was some sort of extra car parking nearer the ground, or cheaper, then we'd have more people coming? Sorry if I misunderstood. When I go to a football ground, if I'm driving, I find out where to park, in this day it is made so easy with club websites, away ground guides etc, I shall do the same on Sunday morning before I set off for Derby.

No problem, I misunderstood your post as well. I think its likely that if people could rock up to a more central location, park in a street, and pay on the gate like the old days then yes there would be a bigger gate if there was room. However that is not an option. I think that transport would be the biggest limiting factor to expanding the Amex should the Albion reach the top flight again. I think the combination of it being a work / school night, out of town ground and on telly has put a number of people off but looks like they have pretty much sold out anyway so its not made much difference

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

The world has moved on since the heady days when you could park on street relatively easily within a 15 minute walk of the Goldstone, even when a 20k crowd was expected., you just planned to park that bit earlier.

Nowadays it is rare for many grounds to have unrestricted on street parking. Most rely to a great extent on very limited public parking at their stadium (normally pre-booked or first come first served) but most also depend on other local premises allowing fans to park for anything from £4 upward, often significantly more. Plus you often see fans naively parking in what look like on street parking spaces but traffic wardens dishing out tickets.

The Amex is fairly unique in having something like an 80% attendance via public transport, as opposed to by car. It is also fairly unique in including subsidised local transport and park and ride scheme on such a scale. Even so that still requires a different mind set by fans, especially away fans who do not understand the severe planning constraints on the Falmer site, and just slag The Amex off for not having instant parking and a selection of pubs etc close to hand. So a tad more flexibility and a few more minutes need to be allowed before and after the game.

Tomorrow will be a classic case: a) capacity crowd b) big away attendance c) evening game so many punters will inevitably arrive later after work and d) understandably those with kids will be desperate to get away after the match 'cos its a week day.

I'm doing a 350 mile round trip to be there and ideally would be back on the road shortly after the final whistle but I'm going to chill out and let the crowd subside - hopefully showing my appreciation for an Albion win in our biggest home game of the season.

I'd like a full house, but I'd prefer the south, north and east lower to be full if we don't sell out.

Apart from 2 or 3 exceptions, the north only has singles now.
The East is only singles apart from the northern and southern most end.
The WSL is singles apart from the southern and a a few close to the north stand.
The south is singles apart from 2 or 3 exceptions.

Only area with decent blocks still available are the shelf, WSU (south end) and ESL (south end).

We are selling via all methods, right up to kick off, and for Derby fans as well, so a great opportunity to shift these. If needed, we can still grab a couple of hundred more from the segregation area that is currently the whole half of S1F. On the other side, I suspect the club will be keeping the rest of S1B and S1A available in case a load of Derby arrive late on.

Shame it wont be the 30k+ with minimal segregation, but it will be the highest number of bums on seats. Had it been a Friday night like last year, Im sure we would have flogged them all.

Put the word around. Great time for someone to experience the Amex tonight.

Looking forward to Sunday (after being tipped off about Derby's wonderful ticketing site) it does look like a full house of 32k+ for the Sunday game.

Bring em on

apart from 2 or 3 exceptions, the north only has singles now.
The east is only singles apart from the northern and southern most end.
The wsl is singles apart from the southern and a a few close to the north stand.
The south is singles apart from 2 or 3 exceptions.

Only area with decent blocks still available are the shelf, wsu (south end) and esl (south end).

We are selling via all methods, right up to kick off, and for derby fans as well, so a great opportunity to shift these. If needed, we can still grab a couple of hundred more from the segregation area that is currently the whole half of s1f. On the other side, i suspect the club will be keeping the rest of s1b and s1a available in case a load of derby arrive late on.

Shame it wont be the 30k+ with minimal segregation, but it will be the highest number of bums on seats. Had it been a friday night like last year, im sure we would have flogged them all.

Put the word around. Great time for someone to experience the amex tonight.

Looking forward to sunday (after being tipped off about derby's wonderful ticketing site) it does look like a full house of 32k+ for the sunday game.

Bring em on

still undecided:blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here