Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Dail Mash take on Brighton the town

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Brighton's founding fathers were all outsiders and visitors who had a certain spirit about them. So, if you come to the city with a similar mindset you're like them and therefore as Brightonian as anyone. Cook definitely is.

I am a 'Native Brightonian' and will always be. However you can still be a 'Brightonian' just by living in Brighton. I am now a 'Glaswegian' but not a 'Native Glaswegian'.

does that logic make sense?

TNBA

TTF

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Yes but he mentions ' mindset ' and ' spirit '
Surely the OAP Brightonian thinks much differently to a " I've moved down from Surrey " 30 year old media type.

That 30 year old will either become a Brightonian or he/she won't. Some move back to Surrey.

But people who move here because they like the 'mindset' and 'spirit', and stay, assimilating and contributing - Brightonians.

Boro BN1

Dec 18, 2015
35 years ? Really?
I thought he was living up North and in the Housemartins less than 35 years back.

I used to bump into him quite regularly back in 1983 as he was seeing a girl I knew. He was called Quentin back then. lol

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
35 years ? Really?
I thought he was living up North and in the Housemartins less than 35 years back.

He was in Brighton from the age of 18. He did temporarily live in Hull whilst in The Housemartins but was straight back to Brighton when he left.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am a 'Native Brightonian' and will always be. However you can still be a 'Brightonian' just by living in Brighton. I am now a 'Glaswegian' but not a 'Native Glaswegian'.

TNBA

TTF

You got it!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

TNBA

TTF

The logic makes sense.

But I personally wouldn't call myself a ' Newhavener ' ( yes some people call themselves that. :rolleyes: ) just because I now live here.
A mate is a born and bred Scouser, and just laughs if I tell him some people would call him a Brightonian because he now lives there.

I don't think there is a set in stone rule though, I still call myself a Brightonian even though I now live along the coast. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The logic makes sense.

But I personally wouldn't call myself a ' Newhavener ' ( yes some people call themselves that. :rolleyes: ) just because I now live here.
A mate is a born and bred Scouser, and just laughs if I tell him some people would call him a Brightonian because he now lives there.

I don't think there is a set in stone rule though, I still call myself a Brightonian even though I now live along the coast. :)

I agree there isn't anything set in stone. I would say you're a Brightonian for sure. But I think others like Norman Cook are also Brightonians. This is all.

PS I'm Brighton born and Newhaven raised. I lived there from 1 until 18.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That 30 year old will either become a Brightonian or he/she won't. Some move back to Surrey.

But people who move here because they like the 'mindset' and 'spirit', and stay, assimilating and contributing - Brightonians.

So we have a couple of different meanings to the word Brightonian?
It's all just made up opinions though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I agree there isn't anything set in stone. I would say you're a Brightonian for sure. But I think others like Norman Cook are also Brightonians. This is all.

PS I'm Brighton born and Newhaven raised. I lived there from 1 until 18.

What happened to Hovians ? :) that's what I want to know. :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Every time I visit Brighton from my outpost in the North I fall more and more in love with it. Sure it has flaws, but try living elsewhere and you'll see the pluses outweigh the minuses by a huge amount.

Exactly. I think those that have a moan about the city have been there sometime. Spend a bit of time away from it and you will fall for its charms the moment you come back. Arriving back in the city on the national express from Heathrow is always a wonderful experience for me.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Taking the piss? Sorry mate but if that's your idea of taking the piss then you're really shit at it. I'd stick to the craft beers if I were you.

Sorry, you do a better job of taking the piss out of yourself than I could ever do...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Woking is a pleasant enough place and it's a breeze to get into London from here but I'd gladly sell a kidney to be able to live in Brighton. Life just never quite worked out the way I'd planned and here I am. Sure, it's full of bohemian folk and all but you're lucky enough to live in a city with swagger that isn't just a flat-pack copy of the next town down the road (although, weirdly, in your case that's Lewes, which also has a fierce independent streak running through it).

Lucky Devils you lot down there.

Woking ? Not with the alien invasions. You had trouble dealing with the last lot. I read a book about it.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Never mind matey. I'm happy to take the piss out of myself and if you're happy to be a bit precious and po-faced then we're all good.

You are neither funny nor clever, but apart from that your 19,850 contributions to NSC have been highly appreciated...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here