Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Dail Mash take on Brighton the town

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Exactly. As i have stated, i have lived and stayed in digs for work in many places around the country, Brighton is a lot better than those places.

The women are easier up North though, just ask [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] :)

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Telling Timmy to sod off was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. He has always banged on about his uber-Brightonian credentials, and used people's location from their profiles to slag them off as if they were somehow inferior to him. I find him mildly irritating.

Personally, I love Brighton. It's not perfect, but there is nowhere else that I have visited in the UK that I would prefer to live.

It upsets me that young colleagues (and my kids) will probably not be able to buy a house and settle here, but property prices are prohibitive in many of the most desirable locations these days.

Agreed Pogue Mahone. Unfortunately but obviously property prices rise in places where it is good to live.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Women are friendlier up North. It's the cause of a lot of fights in pubs when southern blokes mistake Northern girls friendliness as a come on.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
My kids and I counted the number of different places we could buy a coffee a few months back as we walked from HSBC in North Street through the North Laine until we got to the Hobgoblin. 60 different places in a 10 minute walk through maybe 8 streets. 60! And there's more opened since then. Nice to have a choice? It would be nice not to keep losing shop after shop to new cafes. It will eventually be the ruin of the North Laine.

"The ruin of the North Laine"... you obviously didn't know the North Laine in the 70s/80s when it was depressingly run-down; poor quality greengrocers, junk shops and butchers selling what the abattoir threw in the skip. Many people have nostalgia for that period, but the fact remains that the North Laine has regenerated itself by becoming a destination place for people to shop and eat. And if there are too many cafes the bad ones will go to the wall.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Actually i was being serious.

I agree with you on both a serious and frivolous level.

The girls where I work are a great laugh.

When I married two years ago they even volunteered to look after my dog when we went on honeymoon

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder; what's-up can't you grow a hipster beard like the rest of us?

Ooh, get you, Mr Defensive. I can grow the beard alright. It's the identikit tattoos and that whole roll your own fags malarkey that I can't buy into.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Born in Brighton and raised in Brighton, and that's Brighton , not the new City of Brighton and Hove.
I was born near Brighton station, grew up and went to school in Brighton and lived in various areas of the town ( before it became a city ) for 34 years.
I can't speak for Norman, but he's definitely not a Brightonian in my book.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Brighton's founding fathers were all outsiders and visitors who had a certain spirit about them. So, if you come to the city with a similar mindset you're like them and therefore as Brightonian as anyone. Cook definitely is.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Ooh, get you, Mr Defensive. I can grow the beard alright. It's the identikit tattoos and that whole roll your own fags malarkey that I can't buy into.

Defensive? I'm just taking the p1ss out of you. I expect that if you did buy into the "identikit tattoos and that whole roll your own fags malarkey" hip people would be appalled...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Defensive? I'm just taking the p1ss out of you. I expect that if you did buy into the "identikit tattoos and that whole roll your own fags malarkey" hip people would be appalled...

Taking the piss? Sorry mate but if that's your idea of taking the piss then you're really shit at it. I'd stick to the craft beers if I were you.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We'll have to agree to disagree then. Brighton's founding fathers were all outsiders and visitors who had a certain spirit about them. So, if you come to the city with a similar mindset you're like them and therefore as Brightonian as anyone. Cook definitely is.

I think I'm getting what you are trying to say, but I just can't think of words to describe it.
Not really 100% sure TBH.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I think I'm getting what you are trying to say, but I just can't think of words to describe it.
Not really 100% sure TBH.

I think what HT is saying (correctly, in my view) is that when you have lived in a place long enough that most of your friends live there, you are a member of the community who probably works there, you feel that you belong there, then that is where you are from. You can 'become' a Brightonian, and it's not for anyone else to decide that you don't belong.

It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

As Ian Brown once said.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Agreed Mr Tubthumper. The roots of a lot of the "born and breds" don't go particularly deep. Norman Cook has been in Brighton for around 35 years (a generation), his children are born and raised here and he has made a positive contribution to the city and our club.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think what HT is saying (correctly, in my view) is that when you have lived in a place long enough that most of your friends live there, you are a member of the community who probably works there, you feel that you belong there, then that is where you are from. You can 'become' a Brightonian, and it's not for anyone else to decide that you don't belong.

It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

As Ian Brown once said.

Yes but he mentions ' mindset ' and ' spirit '
Surely the OAP Brightonian thinks much differently to a " I've moved down from Surrey " 30 year old media type.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Agreed Mr Tubthumper. The roots of a lot of the "born and breds" don't go particularly deep. Norman Cook has been in Brighton for around 35 years (a generation), his children are born and raised here and he has made a positive contribution to the city and our club.

35 years ? Really?
I thought he was living up North and in the Housemartins less than 35 years back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here