Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Andrew Lilico [MENTION=11994]Andrew[/MENTION]_lilico
Quite a marked fall in the hospitalisation ratio over the past month. Suggests we might be able to bear a *lot* more cases than expected at peak without any problem in terms of hospitalisations.

7D052FF9-7A57-4CE5-9061-32CD94AFC51B.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Andrew Lilico [MENTION=11994]Andrew[/MENTION]_lilico
Quite a marked fall in the hospitalisation ratio over the past month. Suggests we might be able to bear a *lot* more cases than expected at peak without any problem in terms of hospitalisations.

View attachment 138024

I was just looking at some of the data online…..the numbers in hospital have been basically flat for a few days (around 1500) although case numbers have increased and hospitalisations have also gone up (nowhere near as fast in % terms as infection rates - backing up your chart).

Younger (unvaccinated) people compromising the majority of the infected but proportionately fewer getting seriously ill, and those that do are recovering quickly I think/hope. The vaccination blitz now going on will see these numbers start to fall again within the next 3-4 weeks I reckon, without getting dramatically high in the meantime.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mac n’ Chise ������ [MENTION=27507]sailor[/MENTION]rooscout
Friendly reminder: “A change in the spike protein- which allows the coronavirus to enter and infect human cells- that is radical enough to make our vaccine completely ineffective would also, almost certainly, be so extreme as to make the virus non-functional.” -Oxford Team

They are pretty certain the vaccine will hold what ever

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
COVID-19: Wales sees zero weekly deaths from coronavirus for first time since pandemic began
None of the 573 deaths registered in Wales in the week ending 18 June mentioned COVID-19 on the death certificate.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
DT extract (30/6) :

Britain should stop publishing daily figures on Covid-19 case rates because the virus is now a “long way from being an important cause” of death, a vaccine advisor has said.

Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of the UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged people to stop panicking about the current rising infection levels, which may only be reflecting a “last wave of mild infections” among unvaccinated youths.

“It is well past time to panic about infection rates and to publish them obsessively. Even hospitalisation rates are increasingly misleading as better therapy reduces length of stay. Covid is now a long way from being an important cause of mortality,” the Nervtag scientist tweeted.

He joins a growing number of MPs and leading scientists, including Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, warning the daily slew of Covid statistics are terrifying people and they lack any context, such as figures on flu, heart disease and cancer.

Conservative MPs are pressing Downing Street to follow officials in Quebec, Canada, and Singapore by moving to weekly updates or similar, ahead of the July 19 unlocking.

Prof Dingwall added: “A reminder: medicine cannot deliver immortality and it is profoundly damaging to society to imply that it can, if only we try hard enough.”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Professor Chris Whitty has given his blessing for the 19th July easing, saying hospitals will be able to cope with the level of increase we are seeing.

If Whitty is saying it should happen, I find it very hard to believe it won't.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Professor Chris Whitty has given his blessing for the 19th July easing, saying hospitals will be able to cope with the level of increase we are seeing.

If Whitty is saying it should happen, I find it very hard to believe it won't.

There has definitely been a lot more press over the last day or two suggesting the July 19th will go ahead. Reports yesterday that Boris Johnson is confident it will, Sajid Javid suggesting July 19th will be the start of an exciting new journey. Now Whitty saying the same. Plus the article posted above by [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is supportive of that too. Certainly in my uneducated opinion there is nothing in the data regarding hospitalisations and deaths that should stop us now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There has definitely been a lot more press over the last day or two suggesting the July 19th will go ahead. Reports yesterday that Boris Johnson is confident it will, Sajid Javid suggesting July 19th will be the start of an exciting new journey. Now Whitty saying the same. Plus the article posted above by [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] is supportive of that too. Certainly in my uneducated opinion there is nothing in the data regarding hospitalisations and deaths that should stop us now.

We've got another three weeks of seeing whether the case number increases translate into unmanageable increases in hospitalisations and deaths - we had 40,000 in hospital at the peak, current number is about 1,700 (I guess someone, somewhere is determining an 'acceptable' number as part of the unlocking decision) - also, when cases were as high as they are now (in mid-December) we were seeing a daily average of around 400 as opposed to around 16 now. I know deaths lag new cases, and will presumably continue to rise for some time but the weakening of the link due to vaccination is clear

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Exactly. We’re about a month or into the third wave, and today the week on week rolling deaths number is……slightly down.

Exactly. Surely anyone with even a basic level of common sense can see that this is pretty much over. Everyone who is venerable is double jabbed. They were the only people that really died of covid. Why on earth are some people still advocating living in fear?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Infection numbers have been lower in each of the last three days than in the preceding 2 days, and the rolling 7 day average for deaths has again shown a slight fall today……….

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Infection numbers have been lower in each of the last three days than in the preceding 2 days, and the rolling 7 day average for deaths has again shown a slight fall today……….

Where are those figures from?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here