[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Marr's World (link)

The first time recently I have avoided a person who looked ill
Worth a read: www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550

PS. cases 1000 a day last August 2020 when I was taken to hospital for something else.

I suspect high numbers of cases will cause problems for hospital admissions, And that the vaccine wears off? Deficiency after six months?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The first time recently I have avoided a person who looked ill
Worth a read: www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57640550

PS. cases 1000 a day last August 2020 when I was taken to hospital for something else.

I suspect high numbers of cases will cause problems for hospital admissions, And that the vaccine wears off? Deficiency after six months?

Any chance you could read the very first post on this thread properly and then tell us what good news it is that you are reporting here? And if it's not good news please stay off this thread and use the sub-forum? Thanks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Infection numbers have been lower in each of the last three days than in the preceding 2 days, and the rolling 7 day average for deaths has again shown a slight fall today……….
This is weekend numbers right ?

Do you think we are at tipping point now. Read a few articles that say we will hit 100k before going down ?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is weekend numbers right ?

Do you think we are at tipping point now. Read a few articles that say we will hit 100k before going down ?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I was clearly referring to the numbers for the last 5 days - but there haven’t usually been notable variations in infection case numbers for ‘weekends’. Death numbers are barely moving despite the increased number of infections. This is good news.

No idea tipping point but interesting to see if the relative plateauing of numbers over the last 5 days continues - the fact they might be is good news

Wrong thread for your last comment but trust me I am probably reading as much as anyone.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Infection numbers have been lower in each of the last three days than in the preceding 2 days, and the rolling 7 day average for deaths has again shown a slight fall today……….

I'm sure I recall someone saying the same when we were at c7,000 cases/day, and I was mocked for saying "cases are still growing quickly"...

As I said in that conversation, there is a broad pattern in the ebb and flow of case numbers across the week, and there's absolutely nothing in the numbers that make me think we're anywhere close to topping out. Current growth makes it difficult to see why we won't be north of 50k/day in the not-too-distant future.

However, in the spirit of the aim of the thread...

1. 7-day average growth has come slightly off the peak. Standing at 66.9% as of yesterday's numbers, down from 74.2% on Friday.
2. James Ward's excellent analysis shows signs of hope - twitter thread here: https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1411730026635087877?s=20, first tweet below:

[tweet]1411730026635087877[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sure I recall someone saying the same when we were at c7,000 cases/day, and I was mocked for saying "cases are still growing quickly"...

As I said in that conversation, there is a broad pattern in the ebb and flow of case numbers across the week, and there's absolutely nothing in the numbers that make me think we're anywhere close to topping out. Current growth makes it difficult to see why we won't be north of 50k/day in the not-too-distant future.

However, in the spirit of the aim of the thread...

1. 7-day average growth has come slightly off the peak. Standing at 66.9% as of yesterday's numbers, down from 74.2% on Friday.
2. James Ward's excellent analysis shows signs of hope - twitter thread here: https://twitter.com/JamesWard73/status/1411730026635087877?s=20, first tweet below:

[tweet]1411730026635087877[/tweet]

Partial easing was always going to cause an increase - and the next unlocking will do the same - it’s managed/calculated risk. The good news, as well as a possible flattening starting in this phase, is the numbers are still quite low relative to the peak, and I also think we’ll move away from looking at infection rates in any depth at all anyway - it’s the hospitalisation, ITU and death numbers that are key (our ‘infection rate’ is immensely skewed relative to other countries due to the huge volume of testing we’ve been doing). The deaths remain low and seem pretty stable thankfully, but need to see hospitalisations do the same - even they aren’t increasing at anything like the same rate as infections have, nor when compared with previous waves.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two weeks today and we step out of Lockdown. It’s going to be a fantastic day. Yes, people are worried but this is a positive phase toward living and dealing with Covid.

If, as it seems increasingly likely, this virus escaped from the Wuhan laboratory and is specifically designed to mutate and form variants, then we are never getting rid of it. Time to live with it.

Two weeks today and we step out of Lockdown. It’s going to be a fantastic day. Yes, people are worried but this is a positive phase toward living and dealing with Covid.

If, as it seems increasingly likely, this virus escaped from the Wuhan laboratory and is specifically designed to mutate and form variants, then we are never getting rid of it. Time to live with it.
No choice but to live with it but who makes the rules?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

All viruses mutate and form variants don’t they? It’s evolution baby.

A laboratory engineered virus could be more likely to not mutate and form variants.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All viruses mutate and form variants don’t they? It’s evolution baby.

A laboratory engineered virus could be more likely to not mutate and form variants.

If it was a leak from a “gain of function” experiment which is one theory, it will mutate rapidly and is designed to react to vaccination.
However that’s a theory that will probably never be fully investigated but I remain open minded that it came from a wet market in Wuhan and not the virus research laboratory in Wuhan
;-)
If it was found that scientists caused the Covid pandemic it would be hard to get the general public to trust scientists in these matters again.
Either way, time to get open, get back to normal and crack on.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IIRC this is the "Good News" thread, not the "Conspiracy Theory" thread.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IIRC this is the "Good News" thread, not the "Conspiracy Theory" thread.

It is good news. We are out in two weeks today. Good news indeed.

Apologies for the other stuff, hadn’t intended to go down that road.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The NHS can cope with the rising cases as England eases out of restrictions on July 19, the service's director has said.

Prof Stephen Powis, national medical director of NHS England, said despite the rising number of infections, the NHS was "used to coping with pressures" and was prepared.

"The NHS deals with pressures all the time and there is not doubt that as hospital numbers rise over the next few weeks that we will have to manage that pressure," he told BBC Breakfast.

"A&Es are busy again as life gets back to normal but we're well used to coping with pressures, we do it every year and every winter. So we are prepared and, as you have seen over the last 18 months of the pandemic, the NHS will manage."

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce later on Monday that almost all restrictions will be scrapped on July 19 pending a data review in a week's time.

Prof Powis said: "We'll be keeping a very close eye on the data but at the moment, like I say, things are looking very good.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The NHS can cope with the rising cases as England eases out of restrictions on July 19, the service's director has said.

Prof Stephen Powis, national medical director of NHS England, said despite the rising number of infections, the NHS was "used to coping with pressures" and was prepared.

"The NHS deals with pressures all the time and there is not doubt that as hospital numbers rise over the next few weeks that we will have to manage that pressure," he told BBC Breakfast.

"A&Es are busy again as life gets back to normal but we're well used to coping with pressures, we do it every year and every winter. So we are prepared and, as you have seen over the last 18 months of the pandemic, the NHS will manage."

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce later on Monday that almost all restrictions will be scrapped on July 19 pending a data review in a week's time.

Prof Powis said: "We'll be keeping a very close eye on the data but at the moment, like I say, things are looking very good.

Fantastic. Thank you for posting that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Partial easing was always going to cause an increase - and the next unlocking will do the same - it’s managed/calculated risk. The good news, as well as a possible flattening starting in this phase, is the numbers are still quite low relative to the peak, and I also think we’ll move away from looking at infection rates in any depth at all anyway - it’s the hospitalisation, ITU and death numbers that are key (our ‘infection rate’ is immensely skewed relative to other countries due to the huge volume of testing we’ve been doing). The deaths remain low and seem pretty stable thankfully, but need to see hospitalisations do the same - even they aren’t increasing at anything like the same rate as infections have, nor when compared with previous waves.

Which is the important part…I’m surprised the OP felt the need to post his first paragraph as it wasn’t in the spirit of this thread..more like a “look at how good I am”

Still in the spirit of the thread…..that James Ward is definitely worth following for factual stuff..positive or negative

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Surely this is good news…refers to middle of June…but released today

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...yantibodyandvaccinationdatafortheuk/7july2021

England, it is estimated that around 9 in 10 adults, or 89.8% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 88.2% to 91.3%) would have tested positive for antibodies against coronavirus (COVID-19) - SARS-CoV-2 - on a blood test in the week beginning 14 June 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated.
In Wales, it is estimated that 9 in 10 adults, or 91.8% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 90.1% to 93.3%) would have tested positive for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 on a blood test in the week beginning 14 June 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated.
In Northern Ireland, it is estimated that close to 9 in 10 adults, or 87.2% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 84.2% to 90.2%) would have tested positive for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 on a blood test in the week beginning 14 June 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated.
In Scotland, it is estimated that over 8 in 10 adults, or 84.7% of the adult population (95% credible interval: 82.4% to 86.9%) would have tested positive for antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 on a blood test in the week beginning 14 June 2021, suggesting they had the infection in the past or have been vaccinated.
Across all four countries of the UK, there is a clear pattern between vaccination and testing positive for COVID-19 antibodies but the detection of antibodies alone is not a precise measure of the immunity protection given by vaccination.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here