Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The Bestest-ever lunch in Brighton

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In Hove yes, but Rockwater is a good experience. I prefer Flint House to Burnt Orange personally. Otherwise I'm sure he would like Etch, 64 Degrees, Riddles & Finn, The Old Fish Market, The Salt Room, and Cyan. Smaller places like Petis Pois and Murmur are worth a look too
The issue I have with Rockwater is the service or lack of it . Saying that I found the salt room service not much better .

Etch & burnt orange are the two I’ve personally had excellent service in .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Great thing about The Salt Room is the location for someone visiting Brighton given it's next to the Grand, and views out between both piers. It has a very good menu, and while others might trump it for fine dining, think the location would be a winner.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Petit Pois do a decent lunch and are centre of Brighton. Etch are also very good but a bit out of the way.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I can only assume OP doesn't have an anti-corruption policy at work...

Seems strange to lavish expenditure when ultimately it is the "guest" who will be paying for it long term - maybe I'm too old school.

Nice to see some places to consider if I fancy treating Mrs Papak to a nice dinner in the city though so thanks for the contributions.

Stumpy Tim

The issue I have with Rockwater is the service or lack of it . Saying that I found the salt room service not much better .

Etch & burnt orange are the two I’ve personally had excellent service in .
I once spent 3 hours there and still hadn't received our main course... and then they told us we had to leave because we had been there too long! We complained so loudly they paid for the whole meal and wine, and gave us extra cocktails downstairs. I was battered by the end, and it didn't cost a penny :ROFLMAO:

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
Having read all the posts and having dined for business and pleasure in all the named places, I suggest in order of amazing Etch, followed by 64 Degrees, Flint House, Burnt Orange. Etch however might be a bit on the formal/long end of things tho, so think carefully about how long you want the meal to last - shame to have done the deal and then the guy wants to get home and not be sitting through a three hour lunch!

Don’t waste your time with any of the Ivy bistro concepts. Everyone calls it The Ivy, it’s not. It’s The Ivy bistro. The original Ivy chef has had zero input into the chain’s menu, and personally when you weigh up portion size (small) v price (high) and the over proliferation of salt in every dish, I think it’s the worst restaurant in town. Good luck with your business deal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having read all the posts and having dined for business and pleasure in all the named places, I suggest in order of amazing Etch, followed by 64 Degrees, Flint House, Burnt Orange. Etch however might be a bit on the formal/long end of things tho, so think carefully about how long you want the meal to last - shame to have done the deal and then the guy wants to get home and not be sitting through a three hour lunch!

Don’t waste your time with any of the Ivy bistro concepts. Everyone calls it The Ivy, it’s not. It’s The Ivy bistro. The original Ivy chef has had zero input into the chain’s menu, and personally when you weigh up portion size (small) v price (high) and the over proliferation of salt in every dish, I think it’s the worst restaurant in town. Good luck with your business deal.
In fairness the Asia is not the same as the Bistro which is an adjoining restaurant. I had a good meal there although seeing Knocky’s comments about microwaved, a couple of the dishes could well have been.

greachain

Mar 19, 2023
In fairness the Asia is not the same as the Bistro which is an adjoining restaurant. I had a good meal there although seeing Knocky’s comments about microwaved, a couple of the dishes could well have been.
I realise that. I may have bootstrapped a little there, fair enough. I do however have a general experience of the fancier or more novel the decor, or the more a “destination” a restaurant is, this usually does take from the food. I mean, who’s going to aspire to chef in a chain like that. Not sure they even have chefs when all the branches serve the same food - so it’s cooks really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Food was excellent. Price was staggering! We had 1 bottle champagne and 3 bottles of wine with our meals. Total cost was £660 for the four of us
I have noticed prices have shot up recently. Some places I know have made clear announcements on their websites about this as well.

Interestingly, I also know a restaurant which now charges more for the weekend bookings but less for the lesser popular days earlier in the week. If you go Tuesday is a lot cheaper than Friday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here