[NSC] The Bear Pit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think The Bear Pit is a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 165 72.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 15.9%

• Total voters

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
One of the joys of NSC was that everything was in one place IMO. It was pretty clear what you were getting form most threads so not sure a separate forum entirely was the answer. Feels NSC has lost something for me. Judging by the poll results i’m evidently in the minority though

Happy to admit I got this wrong. NSC is a much better place now than it was pre-bear pit.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A few things...

- I'm repeatedly told NSC is very right wing.
- I'm repeatedly told NSC is very left wing.
- The people who tell me that NSC is very right wing are generally left wing.
- The people who tell me that NSC is very left wing are generally right wing.
- Those who tell me NSC is left wing probably slightly out-number those who tell me NSC is right wing.
- The overall make-up of NSC's moderating team is very definitely left of centre.
- There has been a marked uptick of new members joining the community since the Bear Pit came into being. This may be a coincidence, or it may be that the site is now a nicer-looking place to be part of.
- NSC has long had an unspoken rule that stupid people are allowed to say stupid things. This allows others to call them out for being stupid.
- Despite the above, out-of-order comments of many flavours will get those that post them into trouble which can, does and will extend to full site bans.
- NSC receives a lot of traffic and a lot of posts. As I type this NSC is close to 2,000 posts today. It is very likely that many of these posts have not been seen by a moderator. NSC relies on users reporting posts they consider have crossed the line of decency so they can be reviewed by a moderator. Use the "Report Post" button below any offending post.
- Just because a post has been reported, it does not mean anything will happen. Even if something does happen - such as a member being warned - you will have no visibility of this as all warnings remain private between the moderating team and the user concerned.
- Very few posts are reported each day. Many days no posts are reported at all.
- This is supposed to be fun. Please try and have fun here. If you're not having fun here, perhaps consider going somewhere else.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I’d hoped that might happen. Pleased for you, pleased for NSC.
Likewise. Have barely looked at or posted on a political thread for ages now and it's increased my enjoyment of the forum massively.

I particularly like the fact that I was still getting the notifications when someone posted on some political thread that I had, ages ago. It was all wankers like ppf and Baker Lite. Again and again and again.

I turned the notifications off and hey presto, I never have to read anything they say or even know that they exist. Because they never post about football.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Likewise. Have barely looked at or posted on a political thread for ages now and it's increased my enjoyment of the forum massively.

I particularly like the fact that I was still getting the notifications when someone posted on some political thread that I had, ages ago. It was all wankers like ppf and Baker Lite. Again and again and again.

I turned the notifications off and hey presto, I never have to read anything they say or even know that they exist. Because they never post about football.

Pretty impressed by the bearpit-people though. Before the pit, the political threads had at least a bit of sensible posts so you could imagine all the pit-people thinking "well I'm in this thread as well so we're obviously not that different". Now when its just the bearpitters throwing shit at eachother I would have imagined they would have realised "shit there's only idiots here and I'm here as well..". But no. They just keep going.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I had an ignore list of generally spiteful old soles, but I recently cleared it. Not sure if they’ve finally grown up and cut out the hate on all manner of things, or now unable to bore everyone with their agendas they’ve disappeared.

Either way, a positive experience visiting NSC these days.

Either way,

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
People always used to say stuff like "do you even support Brighton or are you just a right wing troll?" to these wankers. I thought "well surely they post about football as well"

It's now clear that they have zero interest in the Albion, or football in general,and just want to rant about immigrants and anyone to the left of Cummings being a communist.

They NEVER post anything football/culture related. A complete SUCCESS imo.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Pretty impressed by the bearpit-people though. Before the pit, the political threads had at least a bit of sensible posts so you could imagine all the pit-people thinking "well I'm in this thread as well so we're obviously not that different". Now when its just the bearpitters throwing shit at eachother I would have imagined they would have realised "shit there's only idiots here and I'm here as well..". But no. They just keep going.

Funny because it's true :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It has improved NSC a lot. But it is a shit show in there however. More work needs to be done to clean it up still.

this is a reasonably free message board , i'm not sure what more you want from it ....everyone is free to express their own views and others are free to reply , surely that is the healthiest basis on which to continue .....i've left it alone simply because it has become so tedious , some of us are diametrically opposed on politics and other emotive issues....that's just the way it is , we cannot change anything by whining at each other on a football message board....:albion2:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ignoring the far right and their racism is what has caused all this crap to come to the surface in recent years. We should never have been and should not ignore it!

the far right are not the dimwits you see at FLA gatherings .......the far right are far deeper entrenched and far more dangerous to your liberty.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Fully agree with this. I have been known to dive down the rabbit hole of political thread and although I enjoyed it on occasion, I would concede that I never managed to change anybody's mind to any great extent. I do feel I learned a bit about a few different things and spoke to some interesting people.

On reflection though, I am enjoying the NSC experience more by keeping out of the bear pit and on the main board.

This may of course, also be due to insane Leeds fans bring joy and hilarity to my world at the moment.
[MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] mate, you are not going to change them, enjoy the idea of them spouting their nonsense into the abyss of their empty echo chamber.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it, did it make a sound?

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
When have I done that? People can have different opinions I do not mind. I don't like people ignoring the facts and hiding their incorrect view behind opinion: like flat earthers, anti-vaxers and people who think Stephens only passes backwards. [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] is an obvious racist and posts coded racist posts all the time but the mods seem to endorse them - also by allowing a spoof account to glorify them. :shrug:

If you dont belief in free speech for people who you disagree with and even hate for what they stand for then you don’t belief in free speech

Regards

DF

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
The Bear Pit is now just a place for Baker Lite to post photos of Sir Starmer every 10 seconds; Sydney to post conspiracy theories as fact, and boast that he is a builder and can swing a door really well; and, last of all, for the Fairy to post National Front videos, Farage videos, and to post links or make comments that are all anti Islam, anti asylum seeker, and antisemitic.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It has improved NSC a lot. But it is a shit show in there however. More work needs to be done to clean it up still.

I'm not really sure you've read and understood Bozza's post in full. Stupid has historically been allowed as has its calling out and this is supposed to be "fun".

My definition of fun doesn't extend to reading page after page of memes that Baker Lite has sent round on whatsapp to his chums that can't read. Literally every time I go in there to "moderate" I see something stupid and my NSC instinct tells me to call it out. So the chances of me spending any more time in there going forwards are very low - I have better things to do with my life than fall down a Bear Pit Rabbit Hole so to speak.

The post report system is supposed to ensure that we tidy up stuff that's beyond the pale without wasting too much time. Unfortunately a small number of users tend to use that facility to spuriously report stuff they don't agree with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports