Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC is making a real meal of Mandela's death. No surprise there then.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Can this thread be deleted, most ignorant and idiotic post I may have seen on this website, if its fishing -Well done!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
It's rather sad that you feel this way, but I think you will find that there was equally huge coverage when Maggie went.

I personally feel sorry for David Cameron, all tucked up on the setee with a scotch watching I'm a Celebrity... and the next thing "er Mr. Cameron, get your slippers off, you have to go outside for the cameras, Nelsons gone "

That's very true, it is interesting to note that the reaction to the news of Maggie's death in this country was sporadic outbreaks of dancing and singing in the streets. From the news coverage it looks like that is happening in SA too, maybe he wasn't liked universally?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can this thread be deleted, most ignorant and idiotic post I may have seen on this website, if its fishing -Well done!

Nah, let's keep it; it's better that bell-ends are exposed.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's very true, it is interesting to note that the reaction to the news of Maggie's death in this country was sporadic outbreaks of dancing and singing in the streets. From the news coverage it looks like that is happening in SA too, maybe he wasn't liked universally?

Of course he wasn't, who is?. Do see Nick Griffin's tweet. Do see what the Tories were saying about him in the 80s.

I'm actually slightly uncomfortable with some of the gushing, it sometimes looks like a bit of a p*ssing contest as to who can have been inspired most by Mandela. That probably says more about my natural cynacism though.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I stopped watching the news because of this. He may have been a truly great man who deserves to be remembered but that doesn't mean they can't talk about some other news for a while.
Have to agree with this and the OP. It is appropiate to remember him,the Statesman he was...but it has been a giant overkill by the media...
He was 95...been ill a very long time and has been close to dying several times...we are all going to end up like this one day. TV gave so much coverage to his death that I switched the telly off and tried to listen to a light music programme...cancelled as it was reporting the Mandela story,tried other programmes same thing....you can only report that a great man has died so many times before it becomes a 'story' overload. This country has slipped into a hand wringing,teeth gnashing wallowing into the macabre death syndrome. Switched on the radio this morning...I'll give you a guess about what the story is about.....Yes,he will be remembered in history and rightly so....but that is where it belongs...

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
You know me, normally happy to slate the hand wringing brigade. On this occasion I am pleased to be one of those mourning the loss of a person I never met. Someone who undoubtedly made the world a better place without regard to himself.

A sainthood will follow, the sooner the better.

He's an atheist I believe, even though there was a priest called to visit his house during the period within which he passed away. I can't see the Pope pressing ahead with beatification.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal

The dancing and singing in the streets is to celebrate his life and achievements. They are carrying pictures of him and banners celebrating him. They like to sing and dance over here. Of course, I exclude the Afrikaaners from that generalisation.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
One thing that annoys me is whenever Obama speaks about someone black, the media always like to remind us that he's the first black president. Now I don't mind this generalisation per say, but it annoys me that there is never any mention of Obama being the first President of Mixed Race. I have a beautiful mixed race niece, she's 11 years old and could really do with the mixed race issue being mentioned. Obama would be an even more influential role model to her. Instead this issue is washed over and she feels a little lost at times with a lack of role models proud to call themselves of mixed race, especially as the mixed race issue is ignored in favour of calling Obama black. Almost as though mixed race is something to be ashamed of. It really annoys me.
We lost a great man and freedom fighter yesterday though.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
If you're a 25 year old from Brighton with Nelson as a middle name, don't kid yourself - you weren't named after Mandela

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Thought I'd watch the ten o'clock news to catch up on what has been going on in parliament, the flooding threat, and other world and national news.

I find that Nelson Mandela has died ... hardly unexpected ... and for 40 minutes so far there has been nothing except reports about his death, reaction to his death, his life, etc.

We already knew all of this. Each person being interviewed has repeated the same stuff. The BBC correspondents have all said the same stuff. They have repeated the same bits of film time and time again.

Mandela was a great man who I very much admire. Probably one of the world's greatest statesmen. BUT couldn't the BBC have given us five minutes of Mandela at 10pm, then covered the rest of the news, then gone back to Mandela for however long they sought fit for those who wished to watch and hear more?

Typically rubbish handling of the situation by the Beeb.

Using a man who fought and was imprisoned for freedom for millions to moan or fish is rather pathetic, don't you think?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I'm pleased to see there's been a good deal of support for my stand on this.

As I stated previously, I absolutely agree that Mandela was a great statesman who I admired immensly, but devoting hours of a NEWS programme to his death is too much.

By all means have a special programme about his life and achievements immediately after the news, but the NEWS should be about current events. The definition of NEWS is "Information about recent events or happenings". So his death is most definitely news, but hours of discussion about his life is appropriate for a tribute programme.

And worst of all, the chumps on the BBC were all repeating the same stuff about what a great man he was with nothing "newsworthy" about anything they were saying. Their correspondant in Washington repeating almost word for word what their political editor in London had said, and so it went on.

Ten minutes (maybe fifteen) at the start of the news about his death would have been appropriate followed by 15-20 minutes covering the rest of the day's news. The BBC could very easily have followed this with a one hour programme devoted to Mandela for those who were interested.

There were actually some other important events happening yesterday. Those of us who would have liked to be informed about them were not even given a time as to when the Mandela content would end.

My gripe is with the Beeb. I don't believe I have said anything derogatory about Mandela.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He's an atheist I believe, even though there was a priest called to visit his house during the period within which he passed away. I can't see the Pope pressing ahead with beatification.

Oh no he wasn't. He was a Methodist.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm pleased to see there's been a good deal of support for my stand on this.

As I stated previously, I absolutely agree that Mandela was a great statesman who I admired immensly, but devoting hours of a NEWS programme to his death is too much.

By all means have a special programme about his life and achievements immediately after the news, but the NEWS should be about current events. The definition of NEWS is "Information about recent events or happenings". So his death is most definitely news, but hours of discussion about his life is appropriate for a tribute programme.

And worst of all, the chumps on the BBC were all repeating the same stuff about what a great man he was with nothing "newsworthy" about anything they were saying. Their correspondant in Washington repeating almost word for word what their political editor in London had said, and so it went on.

Ten minutes (maybe fifteen) at the start of the news about his death would have been appropriate followed by 15-20 minutes covering the rest of the day's news. The BBC could very easily have followed this with a one hour programme devoted to Mandela for those who were interested.

There were actually some other important events happening yesterday. Those of us who would have liked to be informed about them were not even given a time as to when the Mandela content would end.

My gripe is with the Beeb. I don't believe I have said anything derogatory about Mandela.

So what did you think about the wall to wall coverage of Maggie's death ? Over three or four days we were bombarded by anecdotes,and reminiscences even though she had long retired from office and the public eye.However during this time there was a slow reappraisal of her actions, policies and her effect on society.

Bear in mind that Nelson Mandela is probably one of only two great living ex-statesmen who have genuinely shaped history, I count Mikhail Gorbachev as the other, could you see George W Bush or Obama in that mould ? So, now it is time to reappraise his achievements and possibly it is a time for South Africa to re-dedicate the nation towards affirming his ideals and striving to make the nation a better place for all. That's why it's news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here