Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC is making a real meal of Mandela's death. No surprise there then.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
The coverage seems to me to be wholly appropriate to the significance of the event, and the greatness of the man.
Totally agree just got back from the pub and a white South Africa is buying drinks to respect the man who may have been a freedom fighter but when he got out of jail he kept the peace a great man.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
They could have just mentioned what else going on though couldn't they? They are now going over the same ground. Just my opinion like - by the way Nelson Mandela is truly free at last RIP.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I watched a bit of ITV's coverage and whilst it is a slightly better channel for news they love to sensationalise things. The repeating saying of 'Nelson Mandela IS DEAD' for added shockness made Mark Austin look a bit of a tw@t. He was 95 years-old for God's sake and hadn't been well for months. Just a respectful 'Has died' would have been sufficent.

The same shock tactics with the sad death of drummer Lee Rigby. I didn't want to hear why the murderers justified their actions and how they changed their names from Ismael Woggynagabongo or whatever. It was undeserved attention given to the sick b@stards that killed him.

All news channels in this country need to improve on how they present things when breaking stories or new footage is available.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah you're right. When the Queen dies we should just have 5 minutes saying she's popped off and then we can get on with the sport. Jesus wept.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I remember 25 years ago when the marinas of SA were full of ocean-going sailboats -- 'bug-out boats -- 28-, 35-, 42-footers. Sail because of the freedom from fuel shortages. (Some of them were built up here in Maine, just for that market). People were buying marine SSB radios, studying celestial navigation -- GPS not widely available yet -- laying in tinned food. All so they could bug out when the DeKlerk regime fell and the shit hit the fan.

It never did. Mr. Mandela is no small part of the reason why.

I hope at least some of those boats went out for lunch cruises and stuff, the occasional regatta....

In my lifetime I never expected peace in Northern Ireland, majority rule in South Africa, or a re-united Germany. Now it's hard to imagine a world without them.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
You're misguided as well then. We're not talking about some here today gone tomorrow character. We're talking about someone that will stay in the history books for lifetimes to come.

The OP isn't saying he isn't. He simply said he would like to have seen other news reported on a news programme.

There is currently a severe storm in the country which has claimed lives. That should get some news time as well as other news.

Is it that hard to understand that when people watch the news, they expect to be told about more then one story?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Look at this from the BBC producers' point of view. Mandela's been ailing for a long while. All that stuff is in the can. It's there to be run at a button-push.
Breaking news is harder to do, and more expensive than archived stuff to boot.

Blame the sunk-cost fallacy and the path of least resistance...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
My favourite was the coverage on Skysportsnews. Ever since the sad news broke I'd been on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what the official Man Utd Twitter account had to say on the matter.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A happily self-professed racist disapproves of what exactly? And we're meant to care?

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
The same shock tactics with the sad death of drummer Lee Rigby. I didn't want to hear why the murderers justified their actions and how they changed their names from Ismael Woggynagabongo or whatever. It was undeserved attention given to the sick b@stards that killed him.

So, you only want to hear the news that you want to hear?

Not everybody in the world agrees with you regarding Lee Rigsby, don't you think that
it's important to listen to the other side so that we can prevent these attrocities from
happening in the future?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
paris hilton.jpg

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thought I'd watch the ten o'clock news to catch up on what has been going on in parliament, the flooding threat, and other world and national news.

I find that Nelson Mandela has died ... hardly unexpected ... and for 40 minutes so far there has been nothing except reports about his death, reaction to his death, his life, etc.

We already knew all of this. Each person being interviewed has repeated the same stuff. The BBC correspondents have all said the same stuff. They have repeated the same bits of film time and time again.

Mandela was a great man who I very much admire. Probably one of the world's greatest statesmen. BUT couldn't the BBC have given us five minutes of Mandela at 10pm, then covered the rest of the news, then gone back to Mandela for however long they sought fit for those who wished to watch and hear more?

Typically rubbish handling of the situation by the Beeb.

It's rather sad that you feel this way, but I think you will find that there was equally huge coverage when Maggie went.

I personally feel sorry for David Cameron, all tucked up on the setee with a scotch watching I'm a Celebrity... and the next thing "er Mr. Cameron, get your slippers off, you have to go outside for the cameras, Nelsons gone "

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here