Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BBC is making a real meal of Mandela's death. No surprise there then.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What's happened to HIGNFY - schedule change?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
FFS - I'll be in bed and asleep well before then.

If you think this is over the top, just wait until Betty Windsor snuffs it. We will never hear the last.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I watched the c overage until I had had enough, looked on the internet for a bit of news about other stuff and then stuck on the last episode of The Wrong Mans. Tonight, on catch up, I will watch one of the doco's on him that aired last night.

It's really not hard is it? At the touch of a button or click of a mouse we have access to all the entertainment and information our heart desires. I cannot understand people complaining about what is on the TV, turn the bloody thing off or over if you don't like it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I watched the c overage until I had had enough, looked on the internet for a bit of news about other stuff and then stuck on the last episode of The Wrong Mans. Tonight, on catch up, I will watch one of the doco's on him that aired last night.

It's really not hard is it? At the touch of a button or click of a mouse we have access to all the entertainment and information our heart desires. I cannot understand people complaining about what is on the TV, turn the bloody thing off or over if you don't like it.

This. So many people trying to push their agenda and using the Beeb and Mandela as an excuse.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
FFS - I'll be in bed and asleep well before then.

If you think this is over the top, just wait until Betty Windsor snuffs it. We will never hear the last.

To be honest, I'm surprised they showed it tonight at all. On the night JFK was assassinated, the satire show That Was The Week That Was ended up running a tribute show to him. When even the satirical website NewsBiscuit decided to publish a sombre Mandela obituary rather than the usual spoof pieces, it shows that satire does not particularly fit well today because it is there to parody and ridicule the news. And the news in the last day has been Mandela's death. Not a huge amount of comedy to be found in an elderly statesman's death.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I happen to know a number of people who were in the SACP in the 1950s and early 1960s who would be interested to see your "compelling evidence". It's certainly true that the ANC and SACP worked very closely together - the simple reason being that the SACP was the only party from 1948 onwards that wholeheartedly opposed Apartheid - but the issues of actual membership were often far less straighforward than you seem to believe.

http://www.workers.org/articles/2013/12/06/statement-south-african-communist-party-nelson-Manuela/

Even the South African communist party says so.........

It's not a big deal though is it or a surprise, and like I said previously his motives may not have been binary, which is understandable in the circumstances. There is the rub though, he was a great man with faults and weaknesses, what we get from the media though is the overwhelming representation of a moral giant, and for me that is not the case. I mean for **** sake look at his wife's conduct, do we think he was completely unaware...........

Perspective my boy, that's all I ask for..............

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Once the committed brutality of the apartheid regime became apparent in the early sixties, Mandela came to the conclusion that state violence could only be combatted with violence against the state. But he distinguished between four forms of violence - sabotage, guerrilla warfare, terrorism, and open revolution, concluding that sabotage alone was acceptable. His activities were confined to attacks of sabotage against infrastructure that supported the state.

The quality of his political leadership was such that he led a disciplined campaign of controlled violence against a state that was committing intolerable acts of violence against its own people (including murderous attacks on unarmed innocent people). Three decades later, when he was released from prison, he had the genius to resume his active leadership of the anti-apartheid campaign, by promoting negotiation and reconciliation.

His worldwide reputation today hangs on the principles that he applied throughout his life, both before his imprisonment and afterwards. A great man and a great leader.

Agree with most of that but then let's not think that the South African state has changed in its persecution of Blacks just because of majority rule..........

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/20/south-africa-marikana-police

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Problems still very much exist in S.A.but that incident was not racially motivated was it ?
I'm not sure under what sub- heading of brutality it does come under though, maybe just state sponsored violence.... I,m not sure. It's happened in Russia, China and many other countries though hasn't it ? It's about liberty and workers rights but surely not about state racism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here