Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Remember a particularly snowy New Years Eve here in Sussex, heavy snow.

I remember walking to a party and the host shoveling loads of snow as we entered.

I reckon I was 15 perhaps 1979 ???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Looks like a proper Barlett (Eurotrash) high set up as we head into Christmas, not good news for anyone going skiing in the Alps. Good news if you want to save on winter heating bills though

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Looks like a proper Barlett (Eurotrash) high set up as we head into Christmas, not good news for anyone going skiing in the Alps. Good news if you want to save on winter heating bills though

Luckily it's not a true Bartlett - as it's not being continually re-enforced / replaced by ridges from the Azores.

I'd say that Xmas Day will feel pretty season in a cool NW flow. There is a chance of some snow in the North and North West as well - but a little early to call that yet.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
Remember a particularly snowy New Years Eve here in Sussex, heavy snow.

I remember walking to a party and the host shoveling loads of snow as we entered.

I reckon I was 15 perhaps 1979 ???
It was Saturday 30th december 1978, a blizzard started in the evening.It was a classic low pressure tracking to the south dragging in bitter easterly winds. By sunday afternoon the snow had drifted to the headlights of cars in some roads in Hollingbury. A couple of days before it was almost springlike with bright sunshine and temps up to 57 f.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So because the temperature for one day, in 48 hours time is going to be 60F, we should write off the remaining 2 1/2 months of winter? What logic are you using for this?

Trends, temperatures will be close to or above double figures for at least 2 weeks as far as can be predicted and jet stream and constant south west / west airstreams. This will NEVER produce any cold weather or snow and to me in mid Dec, 10C is not cold as has been referred to before on here and on the BBC

Yoda

English & European
Trends, temperatures will be close to or above double figures for at least 2 weeks as far as can be predicted and jet stream and constant south west / west airstreams. This will NEVER produce any cold weather or snow and to me in mid Dec, 10C is not cold as has been referred to before on here and on the BBC

All the trends for atmospheric setup point towards the colder snowier winter of years gone past, this months high has already been below average 7 times this month and the low 10 times?
The majority of the models are say above average for about a week, then back to average and below beyond that (from 26/27th Dec).

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It was Saturday 30th december 1978, a blizzard started in the evening.It was a classic low pressure tracking to the south dragging in bitter easterly winds. By sunday afternoon the snow had drifted to the headlights of cars in some roads in Hollingbury. A couple of days before it was almost springlike with bright sunshine and temps up to 57 f.

Christ I was going out getting pissed at 14 years old, happy days, thank you.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Christ I was going out getting pissed at 14 years old, happy days, thank you.
It's terrific news that it isn't going to snow isn't it? You will able able to make those crucial food deliveries to single mothers with big flashy cars in their driveways. Just what they need for Christmas eh?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Tell that to The Daily Express and see where that rubbish gets you !

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
If I remember correctly I was drinking with mates down West Street when it started snowing. I don't know if it was the drink or the snow when we were slipping and sliding to the pubs.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
All the trends for atmospheric setup point towards the colder snowier winter of years gone past, this months high has already been below average 7 times this month and the low 10 times?
The majority of the models are say above average for about a week, then back to average and below beyond that (from 26/27th Dec).

The last chart on here for the 5th showed snow fir 14th Sunday two days ago..
9 days + IS guesswork, however hard you try to call a change it's far less likely than no change.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Around 9 - 14 C for the next 10 days at least

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here