Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I'm no expert, but it's my belief that if we get the threat of snow coming from the west, it will rain.

If the threat is from the East..there's a chance of snow?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I'm no expert, but it's my belief that if we get the threat of snow coming from the west, it will rain.

If it's coming from the south does that mean it's going to be sunny!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

This will surely depend on the temperatures?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Talking of temperatures, a chilly -4 degrees Centigrade here in Boston (Lincs not Mass) at present but forecast is -10 degrees Centigrade a bit further up country in the Lincolnshire Wolds later on tonight.....

casbom

Jul 24, 2007

mmmm not necessarily, because the low pressure is negatively tilted (i.e tracking NW to SE) we draw in bitterly cold SE winds form a very cold Europe. This dry continental air will readily turn the rain to snow. As long as we keep that SE draw, we will keep it as snow. (usual caveats, on the coast and in Speilbergs back garden it will change to rain!)

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
mmmm not necessarily, because the low pressure is negatively tilted (i.e tracking NW to SE) we draw in bitterly cold SE winds form a very cold Europe. This dry continental air will readily turn the rain to snow. As long as we keep that SE draw, we will keep it as snow. (usual caveats, on the coast and in Speilbergs back garden it will change to rain!)

so whats the weather for Tilgate for the weekend?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Word Association Game

250 pages is nothing in comparison!

My phone says 500 pages of constructive yet non-definitive chat on snow on this thread, I'm not going to ask my creaky old Wildfire to look at the Word association thread, dread to think ...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Despite many people losing faith in the models we might snatch a blizzard from the jaws of a mild breakdown.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Snow possibly some time on Friday....how much and what time on friday no one knows!

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Snow possibly some time on Friday....how much and what time on friday no one knows!

The interesting part is the gradual erosion of the strength and NE extent of the low pressure from the West. For once, the trend is towards a stronger block to the north, with the low pressure instead sliding SE, know as trough disruption. Also, and the latest 18z GFS is stunning later on with a series of slider lows running along the channel.

This might finally be the effects of the SSW finally kicking in, fragmenting the polar vortex and allowing the jet to stay to the south despite a less than solid block.

Looking at this weekend, I'd say the odds are that at some time milder air will eventually get to us, as we're in a precarious position, so far south and adjacent to the warm channel. Having said that, it wouldn't take much more southwards adjustment for it to be all snow.

One thing for sure, Saturdays game us very much in jeopardy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The interesting part is the gradual erosion of the strength and NE extent of the low pressure from the West. For once, the trend is towards a stronger block to the north, with the low pressure instead sliding SE, know as trough disruption. Also, and the latest 18z GFS is stunning later on with a series of slider lows running along the channel.

This might finally be the effects of the SSW finally kicking in, fragmenting the polar vortex and allowing the jet to stay to the south despite a less than solid block.

Looking at this weekend, I'd say the odds are that at some time milder air will eventually get to us, as we're in a precarious position, so far south and adjacent to the warm channel. Having said that, it wouldn't take much more southwards adjustment for it to be all snow.

I understood the last sentence. Did anyone get more than that?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Usually I want snow, but I very much don't want it as something will go wrong for Saturday - either being a frozen pitch, police wanting it off on safety grounds or trains not running.

Is there any chance it could hit us before Friday night as all the weather forecasts seem to show ?

llugaes

Jan 20, 2009
Usually I want snow, but I very much don't want it as something will go wrong for Saturday - either being a frozen pitch, police wanting it off on safety grounds or trains not running.

Is there any chance it could hit us before Friday night as all the weather forecasts seem to show ?

frozen pitch shouldn't happen, brum were premier league recently-ish so they will have undersoil heating. regarding trains; well anything could go wrong with them at anytime, and the last time i travelled in that really bad snow a couple of years back and i was delayed maybe 30 mins on a journey to the midlands. can't speak for the police obviously.

(if it sounds like i'm trying to convince myself more than anyone else, i am, i've been looking forward to this for ages and there's not a rats chance in hell i can make a rearranged tuesday night)

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

It will hit us during Friday, but with the low stalling, and then sliding South East, its going to become almost stationary. I'd hazard a guess that the midlands in particular could see snow from late Friday afternoon all the way through to Saturday lunchtime (based upon current output).

Even if it misses the midlands, that will most likely mean its further south, so the disruptive snow just moves towards us.

Either way the journey is likely to be problematic at best.

Also factor in the low temperatures, and it's very much at risk.

Having said that, there's still a small chance that some thing odd will occur and the snow will miss or arrive as rain.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the subject of Saturdays game this is the latest GFS ensemble for roughly Birmingham.

Screenshot_2013-01-15-23-58-04.png

The temperature won't rise above zero until next week, and there's a very high chance of snow 80-95% for a 24 hour period, Friday into Saturday. Also that's quite a decent amount of rain to turn to snow.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Ill give extra time then, fairly sure if the trains are fcuked, they would let me use alternative trains.

Doesn't help that it's buses between Haywards Heath and Three Bridges - bad road conditions would see these withdrawn.

Dec 29, 2011

Can anyone translate from Papa Lazarou language to English?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here