Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere and maintaining it

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I think our 3 main chants are

Alllbiiiion
Super brighton from the south
We all follow brightonovalbon

All of them easy to follow and can keep getting repeated as it gets louder n louder

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm honestly not sure if you're genuinely questioning me, or making a sarcastic reply because the standing/sitting point is so obvious.

Assuming you are being serious: Yes, really. It was the first time I've stood for 90 minutes at the Amex, and the consensus around me was "we have got to stand like this every game"

I'm being totally serious. You SERIOUSLY think that your cock-waving mini-power-battle with the stewards in one small section of the North (and, yeah, I was in the North also, same as I always am) had anything whatsoever to do with the overall ferocious levels of noise in the ground on Monday? SERIOUSLY? Sake! :rolleyes: Most sane observers would put it down to the 23,000 Albion punters that weren't in the North on Monday all pitching in and getting behind the team like at least 50% of them never did previously.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I'm being totally serious. You SERIOUSLY think that your cock-waving mini-power-battle in a small section of the North (and, yeah, I was in the North also, same as I always am) had anything whatsoever to do with the overall ferocious levels of noise in the ground on Monday? SERIOUSLY? Sake! :rolleyes: Most sane observers would put it down to the 23,000 Albion punters that weren't in the North on Monday all pitching in and getting behind the team like at least 50% of them never did previously.

This.

The EAST was rocking. Mental noise levels.

Mostly sat down.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
You SERIOUSLY think that your cock-waving mini-power-battle with the stewards in one small section of the North (and, yeah, I was in the North also, same as I always am) had anything whatsoever to do with the overall ferocious levels of noise in the ground on Monday?

No, but do twist my words out of context if you like.

There was no mini-power-battle with any stewards, cock-waving or otherwise. The stewards in the North (or at least in N1D where I am) were perfectly happy to let us stand all game. Again, the general consensus around me was that they'd probably been given the green light to do specifically to help the atmosphere. Why else were they suddenly not bothered about something they'd been across for the 23 previous league games?

Most sane observers would put it down to the 23,000 Albion punters that weren't in the North on Monday all pitching in and getting behind the team like at least 50% of them never did previously

Yep, I'd agree with that. And again, I reckon they were given a massive helping hand by standing up for a lot of it. Again, the reason I'm slightly surprised by your disagreement is that I could see standing happening in sections right around the ground. There were definitely some standing in the East; there were definitely some standing in the West. From where I was, I couldn't tell what % of the East's/West's volume they were contributing, but we all assumed that they would be the louder ones.

I guess it comes from experience at away games (note - this isn't intended to imply you don't have the same experience!). Peterborough always used to be one of the best atmospheres - I thought it was taken for granted that the terrace had a HUGE part to play in that, and similar at other grounds.

Clearly we're never going to agree on this. But yes, seriously, I believe that sitting down has a massive detrimental effect on the atmosphere at a football match.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm being totally serious. You SERIOUSLY think that your cock-waving mini-power-battle with the stewards in one small section of the North (and, yeah, I was in the North also, same as I always am) had anything whatsoever to do with the overall ferocious levels of noise in the ground on Monday? SERIOUSLY? Sake! :rolleyes: Most sane observers would put it down to the 23,000 Albion punters that weren't in the North on Monday all pitching in and getting behind the team like at least 50% of them never did previously.

Wasn't just the North though. Even WL had some sections standing and singing throughout. Stewards stood on and did nothing.

Deny it's a factor if you like, I happen to think it's very influential.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No-one in my block ever stands up ('how very dare you' etc). I spent at least half the game on Monday stood up I reckon. There was a colossal increase in singing and shouting. It wasn't a coincidence.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I personally shout and sing and make more noise when I'm standing. I can't be the only one. So, yes, it must make a difference.

I'm also warmer!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
The club have twice given away 20K+ flags to STHs and others. I think I have 6 of them at home now. If people want to bring flags then they should make the tiny effort involved in bringing along their own. 100% flags would soon lose its appeal and specialness in any case.

A key step for me is that the atmosphere from Monday night must be properly captured and publicised on the internet. A lot of the stuff to do with "atmospheres" is self fulfilling based on what people believe it is going to be like or is normally like.

The official BHAFC instagram tweet thing of the whole ground singing SBTS is incredible. I had no idea it sounded anything like as good as that. We need the whole thing on Youtube and linked on here. In fact, they need to gather together all the best audio/video footage they can find of the crowd singing (NOT of the PA music pre-match) and make a 10 minute film about the atmosphere on Monday night and put it on Youtube and make it part of a sticky thread on here.

Once more people realise just how amazingly good it is, and the effect on the players/opposition, they will be more likely to join in confidently and make the effort.

I would genuinely love to get a copy of the audio of that, and other chants

My Fifa 16 would be immense!!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
WTF is it with the ****ing song race all the time? That was really bloody annoying on Monday (not all game, just a few times). I'd join in at the start and then wonder what the **** was happening as a song got condensed into one long word.

I think the problem with All our songs going too fast is simply acoustics and the speed of sound.

Since I've moved to the SWC I've noticed it more.

People clap in time with the SOUND of it. As the noise travels down the stand it creates waves of sound, which get muddled into one sound which sounds crap.

I noticed it at Weds on Friday with 2 distinct groups with the great escape. When one side sang Brighton the other side sang it at the firsts half way point.

The key to getting everyone together is for people to simply watch another stand and clap when you see them clap, not when you hear them.

That way everyone will be together no matter what you are hearing due to the differences in speed and sound.

That's why GOSBTS on the screen works so well to the music. The music is played to all stands at the same time. If it were just played in, say the north stand, the West would be behind and the SWC even further as people react to the sound later.

It's why drums work, the sound is loud and punchy enough to coordinate all stands together.

All we need to do is follow the north by watching them more than listening to them. We need a stand to start songs and IMO the north should be it as it is easily visible to all the others, I can't see the WSU from SWC so couldn't follow. Everyone can see the north.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The club have twice given away 20K+ flags to STHs and others. I think I have 6 of them at home now. If people want to bring flags then they should make the tiny effort involved in bringing along their own. 100% flags would soon lose its appeal and specialness in any case.

A key step for me is that the atmosphere from Monday night must be properly captured and publicised on the internet. A lot of the stuff to do with "atmospheres" is self fulfilling based on what people believe it is going to be like or is normally like.

The official BHAFC instagram tweet thing of the whole ground singing SBTS is incredible. I had no idea it sounded anything like as good as that. We need the whole thing on Youtube and linked on here. In fact, they need to gather together all the best audio/video footage they can find of the crowd singing (NOT of the PA music pre-match) and make a 10 minute film about the atmosphere on Monday night and put it on Youtube and make it part of a sticky thread on here.

Once more people realise just how amazingly good it is, and the effect on the players/opposition, they will be more likely to join in confidently and make the effort.

This with bells on. I have been unable to find any decent footage of the fans during the match or after the final whistle. The club obviously has it as in the updated montage there's the clip of Rosenior with the scarf round his neck. Why can't this be made available to us - especially those of us who pay for Seagulls Player?

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
I don't know why there is a better atmosphere at the big London clubs and northern clubs.Are we just more educated and civil down here.Is the average age of our crowds higher.I would think the younger the crowd the more chance of chanting.Creating an atmosphere should come natural.It shouldn't have to be worked out and discussed like we are discussing.

If you look at the Ultras on You Tube you will see that most of the UK clubs get outdone by those abroad.The atmosphere,colour,flags,flares,chanting,dispalys etc at some games are amazing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Tom Gorringe has said "watch this space" with regards to the GOSBTS clip the club posted on Instagram. Full version on its way then :)
Excellent news. If he is also on the case with the general high quality capture of Monday's atmosphere in a motivational video then even better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here