Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere and maintaining it

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To build on Monday and possibly crank up more what can be done?
Do we still need to try a drum
Do we need to get in the seats early
Heavy metal rock music blaring out?
Flags at every game?

None of the above.

17 shots in the first half, every first half, would do the trick. Or as close as could be achieved. Get the opposition on the back foot and keep them there. Crowd would feed off the players, players would feed off the crowd, the intensity would build accordingly. As has been posted elsewhere, treat the kick-off whistle as a starting pistol. Wouldn't always work, as indeed it didn't quite work on Monday, but on another day we'd have gone in four or five goals up at half-time. Just like we did v The Mighty Leeds. What's the worst that could happen? .

Last edited:

manintheblackpajamas

Oct 30, 2006
Did that not work. Try again:

[tweet]732550746177167361[/tweet]

If I was in marketing (which I'm not), I would take that "forcefield" thing and use it to sell 'The Amex Experience'.
#forcefield oughta do it.

Then I'd grab a bagel or something and take the afternoon off...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Please please can we next season have an end to the songs about Croydon Palace as was the case on Monday. Songs about red and blue hoofballers do nothing to lift our players.

This is an age old argument.

How do you know which songs do and don't lift players?

Anything to do with our history should be fair game. The songs aren't just about lifting players, it's about fan culture as well. Football songs often tell a story or relate to a certain period in a clubs history and you can't just forget about that. It's the same for every club.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Now is probably the right time to ask for it, as Tony witnessed what it was like at Middlesbrough and Sheffield, then made a call to arms for the home game, so he clearly feels the atmosphere is extremely important. If that's what he wants, then we should have safe standing in the North.

My Barder has said we can't get more fans in, due to other limits (like catering, toilets etc), and that the ticket price couldn't be reduced - fine, no problem. But we shou;d still have safe standing in the North.

Exactly. If its good enough for Celtic to use for their new set up its good enough for us!!

Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, if it was that easy every club would do it already.

Personally I don't think anything drastic needs to happen. The atmosphere is ok and it's still developing organically.

I'm not against a drum if it ends up in the right hands, but it should only be used for the longer songs that need a rhythm to keep going : Great escape, Chris Hughton's Blue&white army.

Although the noise was great Monday i still felt great escape
Got faster and faster and perhaps a drum would help keep in slow and more powerful

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
The NSK will certainly have a drum in the north stand next season.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Could be interesting next season with another "Albion" in the division. Will the "Albiooooooon" chant go all around the ground? :albion2:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although the noise was great Monday i still felt great escape
Got faster and faster and perhaps a drum would help keep in slow and more powerful
WTF is it with the ****ing song race all the time? That was really bloody annoying on Monday (not all game, just a few times). I'd join in at the start and then wonder what the **** was happening as a song got condensed into one long word.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
This....!!!! After all the stuff that has been on here about SBTS over the past few years - including our campaign to the club for the words on the screen - this is final vindication.

It is incredible and I would love to hear the next few seconds of it. I suspect the GUTWTC v YMTTATWSOF melange will be a fraction disappointing (interesting to see which wins the day....?) but the overall effect is simply stunning.

If everyone knew it sounded like that then surely they would sing it out even louder and prouder. Around me in WSU it didn't feel like everyone was absolutely belting it out (and there is a video taken in WSU south end which seems to be mainly "der-der-de-der-der-der-der") so it could be even better...!!!

There have been several videos on FB groups. I watched one taken from the North, and it's defo GUTWTC, but another from the WSU seems (IMO) to be nearly 50/50 between the two.

Personally, I think YMTTATWSOF is far more powerful a sentiment and applicable to any game. All these people on here that say "Brighton fans know the words," are wrong. In order to make a unified wall of sound with GOSBTS, everyone needs to sing the correct words (e.g. Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea, Good old Sussex by the Sea etc..). Even at the Hull game, the opera singer got the first line of the chorus wrong (according to the version of the lyrics on the screen), so I appreciate it's not easy, even for the pros!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There have been several videos on FB groups.
Can you post one on here that is anything like as loud and clear as that one produced by the club. The amateur ones tend to be ruined by the voice of the person holding the phone and the sound of the PA music drowning out the other stands. I haven't seen one yet that remotely captures it as that official club one does...

90% singing the "correct" words as posted on the big screens is only a matter of time now and spreading the word about how good it sounds will help it happen sooner.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Think we're overcomplicating it.

Not one steward asked us to sit on Monday and I noticed prolonged standing as a trend throughout the ground.

Of course there's always going to be that bit extra for being the occasion of a playoff semi, but it all starts with allowing vocal support to stand during games in my opinion at least.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Can you post one on here that is anything like as loud and clear as that one produced by the club. The amateur ones tend to be ruined by the voice of the person holding the phone and the sound of the PA music drowning out the other stands. I haven't seen one yet that remotely captures it as that official club one does...

90% singing the "correct" words as posted on the big screens is only a matter of time now and spreading the word about how good it sounds will help it happen sooner.

https://www.facebook.com/alan.budgen/posts/1037630256274730

Even with the phone holder belting out "Stand or Fall", you can still make out others sing "Going Up"

I can't find the North Stand one now, but it's much more "Going Up".

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Think we're overcomplicating it.

Not one steward asked us to sit on Monday and I noticed prolonged standing as a trend throughout the ground.

Of course there's always going to be that bit extra for being the occasion of a playoff semi, but it all starts with allowing vocal support to stand during games in my opinion at least.

Unfortuantely heard a few in wsu were constantly being asked to sit down in 1st half

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
None of the above.

17 shots in the first half, every first half, would do the trick. Or as close as could be achieved. Get the opposition on the back foot and keep them there. Crowd would feed off the players, players would feed off the crowd, the intensity would build accordingly. As has been posted elsewhere, treat the kick-off whistle as a starting pistol. Wouldn't always work, as indeed it didn't quite work on Monday, but on another day we'd have gone in four or five goals up at half-time. Just like we did v The Mighty Leeds. What's the worst that could happen? .
There is some truth in this. The Amex era has been notably unblessed by the amount of all out attacking football we've been treated to. It does make a massive difference to the atmosphere.

Hughton's team this year has been the closest we've got and hopefully it will be ramped up another notch next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here