Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I thought that criticism was unfair as well. However, AP is a bit of dick to be quite frank, I think Grimes may well have been motivated by past experience/ reputation.

Ah. That would explain it. I did wonder why the usually reserved Grimes who always comes across as well-considered in her thoughts would get involved. I've always thought he looks like Har Mar Superstar's spoilt little brother but without his self-deprecating humour, your comments reinforce this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
@Buzzer as somebody who likes everything female, Scandinavian and lush singer songwriter, have you heard of Aurora:

Aurora Aksnes - Awakening: .

I haven't, no. Many thanks for this, I'll check it out at lunchtime.

In return have you heard of Låpsley? She's a Liverpudlian, she's only about 16 years old and her voice is incredible. She does that downtempo, stripped back soul singing that is so in vogue at the moment but so many singers have to rely on vocoder to get the notes. Not this girl, her singing is the real McCoy.

https://soundcloud.com/hollylapsleyfletcher/falling-short

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I haven't, no. Many thanks for this, I'll check it out at lunchtime.

In return have you heard of Låpsley? She's a Liverpudlian, she's only about 16 years old and her voice is incredible. She does that downtempo, stripped back soul singing that is so in vogue at the moment but so many singers have to rely on vocoder to get the notes. Not this girl, her singing is the real McCoy.

https://soundcloud.com/hollylapsleyfletcher/falling-short

Thanks, I'll give this a listen over the weekend!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone heard/got the Fumaca Preta album yet? It was Resident's album of the week a couple of weeks ago. It's brilliant and extremely tough to categorise.

"Bringing together elements of tropicalia, psychedelics, fuzz funk, musique concrete, acid house, radiophonic electronics and numerous African, Brazilian and Latin rhythms.
Live, the band runs fiercely through unexplained and unexpected musical terrain but never loose the rock solid psychedelic voodoo groove that drives them."

They sound like a less naff, more interesting Goat.

Play Green Door Store next month for a fiver.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Talking (somewhat obliquely) about Ariel Pink, I see he was accused by Grimes of misogyny because of his comments about Madonna's music. All a bit unfairly as far as I can see.

Is this the year for musical binfests or what? It seems that every week there's reports of some artist taking offence at another. Latest is Lorde and Diplo. Will Grimes step in here with her two-pennyworth? Will Kozelek have another rant? Will Sinead O'Connor or Wayne Coyne get involved?

Oh-oh http://pitchfork.com/news/57467-ariel-pink-calls-grimes-stupid-and-retarded/

I love it when a record divides opinion like this, check the comments here.... http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/13/ariel-pink-pom-pom-review?commentpage=1

Last edited:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Anyone heard/got the Fumaca Preta album yet? It was Resident's album of the week a couple of weeks ago. It's brilliant and extremely tough to categorise.

"Bringing together elements of tropicalia, psychedelics, fuzz funk, musique concrete, acid house, radiophonic electronics and numerous African, Brazilian and Latin rhythms.
Live, the band runs fiercely through unexplained and unexpected musical terrain but never loose the rock solid psychedelic voodoo groove that drives them."

They sound like a less naff, more interesting Goat.

Play Green Door Store next month for a fiver.

Funnily enough they were playing this when I last went in there. Not the usual resident stuff.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Outstanding live Herr T. I've seen them quite a few times on their way up and they get better and better. Not totally sure they've done the business on record yet though.

Edit: The Soft Walls/ Hookworms show at The Haunt back in August is definately one of my favourites of the year.

I can endorse SHC's comments about Hookworms live. It was a memorable gig, which even featured Alexis Petridis wigging out wildly.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It's that time of year once more....

http://www.roughtrade.com/aoty2014/1

Hmmmm. A lot of 7 out of 10s there. Come to think of it, I think about 90% of albums I've heard this year were 7s. I'm not going to put a list together until December, but none of those would be in my top 10. I prefer top tracks lists anyway - much easier to name a killer song than a killer album and, to be honest, I'd much prefer to listen to ten killer songs by different artists than one killer album.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I listened to Temples as a result of this earlier today. They are the aural definition of 'meh.' If that's no.1 I'm oot.

They all have lovely hair though.

Agree. Not really understanding why that is number 1.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I listened to Temples as a result of this earlier today. They are the aural definition of 'meh.' If that's no.1 I'm oot.

They all have lovely hair though.

I've got the album on order as a result of that vote from Rough Trade. Should be interesting. I've never heard of them before.

That Angel Olsen is pretty good as is Liars but Alvvays, Neneh Cherry, Sharon Van Etten, Beck are all better but it's all opinions isn't it? Damon Albarn is not deserving of mid-table obscurity, now that's a top 20 album for sure. Lykke Li shouldn't be anywhere near this list and great to see a nod for Hurray for the Riff Raff. If you've not heard them then they do great upbeat Americana/Country Folk.

I usually am in pretty good agreement with Rough Trade so I'm surprised by this year's results. I'll do my list mid-December as there's a few (Andy Stott's superb album for instance) undoubtedly feature somewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've got the album on order as a result of that vote from Rough Trade. Should be interesting. I've never heard of them before.

That Angel Olsen is pretty good as is Liars but Alvvays, Neneh Cherry, Sharon Van Etten, Beck are all better but it's all opinions isn't it? Damon Albarn is not deserving of mid-table obscurity, now that's a top 20 album for sure. Lykke Li shouldn't be anywhere near this list and great to see a nod for Hurray for the Riff Raff. If you've not heard them then they do great upbeat Americana/Country Folk.

I usually am in pretty good agreement with Rough Trade so I'm surprised by this year's results. I'll do my list mid-December as there's a few (Andy Stott's superb album for instance) undoubtedly feature somewhere.

I noticed there's a delux CD with the album remixed (or restructured as they are saying) by Beyond The Wizard' Sleeve (Erol Alkan and Richard Noris) just been released. Im curious to hear this.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I noticed there's a delux CD with the album remixed (or restructured as they are saying) by Beyond The Wizard' Sleeve (Erol Alkan and Richard Noris) just been released. Im curious to hear this.

Ah, cool! I'll let you know. How did you get on with the Rough Trade AOTM deal? Will you carry on with it?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I like Angel Olsen's, and Liars' is OK, but agree that Neneh Cherry will be right up there. Never heard of Alvvays, but any chance of a quick description of that and SVE's and Beck's album. Might get that Riff Raff one.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Om Unit's new 12' dropped on my doormat this morning and already had 2 listens, Metalheadz at its best for any Drum and Bass/Junglists given that the tracks are made from headz's back catalog of samples with the dats passed over from Goldie to use

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I like Angel Olsen's, and Liars' is OK, but agree that Neneh Cherry will be right up there. Never heard of Alvvays, but any chance of a quick description of that and SVE's and Beck's album. Might get that Riff Raff one.

Do you like late 80s jangly guitars with female lead vocals? If so, then this is going to be right up your street.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here