The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never heard of Alvvays, but any chance of a quick description of that...

As the others say, jangly guitars, female vocals and decent melodies.

As per my list above, I likened it to The Darling Buds (if that helps?)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, cool! I'll let you know. How did you get on with the Rough Trade AOTM deal? Will you carry on with it?

It's going very well. It's a wide range of stuff and some I would buy anyway, eg Caribou and Metronomy, some is totally new and which I'm really pleased to have been introduced to eg Avi Buffalo, Todd Terje and Hookworms (this is a good example of the diversity) and a couple which didn't do much, Tom The Lion the main offender. I see these misses as part of the risk process though as the benefits are far greater. It's not quite as in-tune with my tastes as Rounder was but it's well worth the monthly fee. I get an extra CD related to the artist/album (typically demos, remixes or live stuff), notes about the work by the artist and a nice little round up of the month to read. A nice little package I look forward to. Thanks for the heads up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think I have ever heard a Temples song.
Are you sticking with tradition and releasing your top tunes fairly soon?

Certainly. I've bought about 70 CDs/vinyl this year. I think I'll just do my top 10 but provide a background story to each album. I know what my number 1 is.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Finlly got around to listening to the Allo Darlins. It's been sitting in its cellophane for weeks.

Oh. My. Word. What an album! It's quite brilliant. It takes me all the way back to around 1991. It's indie-tastic. Love it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah - we do too Herr T. The kind of music that diffuses well at an outdoor festival perhaps? ???

:smile: all shall be revealed shortly.

I took a look at my 70 and it's not been a bad year.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
:smile: all shall be revealed shortly.

I took a look at my 70 and it's not been a bad year.

We shall see. It's hard to surprise people when we post most days about what we're listening to, but I always like these lists whether they're surprising or not. There's usually something that has somehow slipped under your radar and is waiting to be discovered. Out of interest, do you keep your record collection in date order, or did you consult iTunes to quantify your purchases?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We shall see. It's hard to surprise people when we post most days about what we're listening to, but I always like these lists whether they're surprising or not

I agree. I am certain I will make a few additional purchases based on people's lists.

Out of interest, do you keep your record collection in date order, or did you consult iTunes to quantify your purchases?

Good question. I have been living in a rented apartment for the past 2 years and most of my household stuff including my main record collection as it stood two years ago is in storage (1200+ CDS and vinyl personally and the Frau has a few hundred CDs and a good vinyl collection as well). So, I only have the CDs and vinyl I have bought since Jan 2013 to look through here; it's therefore quite easy. I kept my main collection in alphanumeric order so it was a real task fishing out the purchases from the year. The came from a variety of sources so I couldn't go to one place to check.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
As the others say, jangly guitars, female vocals and decent melodies.

As per my list above, I likened it to The Darling Buds (if that helps?)

It doesn't: I'm just not up-to-speed with music. Too busy with work, NSC/Albion, parenting and another passion that used to be my work. But, I'll buy it when I'm next in Resident. And I think I'm going to try that Todd Terje too, and will definitely get Ty Segall's new one.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Finlly got around to listening to the Allo Darlins. It's been sitting in its cellophane for weeks.

Oh. My. Word. What an album! It's quite brilliant. It takes me all the way back to around 1991. It's indie-tastic. Love it.

What's better indie of the 80s or 90s?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I find that the number of releases I love gets lower the older I get. :down: I think I'm much more demanding now.

I am buying more music than ever before- all on CD or vinyl and seeing more live stuff but that's due to having more surplus cash now that my kids are older. I know what you mean about being demanding though. A few of my favourites have disappointed with their releases such as EMA and Mogwai this year.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I find that the number of releases I love gets lower the older I get. :down: I think I'm much more demanding now.

I think I'm the same as I was at 14. Trouble is I have the same attention span that I had when I was 14 too. Just listening to La Roux's album again and quite forgotten how good that was too. She was certainly let down by the marketing dept of her record company this year. This album should have been mahoosive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports