Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blasphemy. Turn On The Bright Lights is the best album of the last 15 years. It's got the most incredible, incredible atmosphere. Only Funeral by AF comes even vaguely close for me.

Might have to give these another whirl.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll be submitting an erudite and perceptive review (2 sentences max) of this next week. Not bothering with Interpol though - they've come and gone.

Interesting. TOTBL will always be one of my favourite records, it has special place in my heart. However, perhaps a bit of devils advocate here- we're about the same age I reckon, was it a case of right place, right time?

Yeah - but isn't that ALL music, really?

Your brain has to be in the right place to take something in, if you get me? For some people Oasis was the most exciting thing to happen in music ever, because they were in the perfect place and time for it to be the soundtrack to growing up, having fun with mates, getting drunk, footy, antics etc.

I can't stand Oasis.

Even so, from what I know HT likes, I feel he should love TOTBL.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone digging FKA Twigs? Intriguing album.

More than a bit of Fever Ray to it if anyone enjoyed her record, similar sense of space to The XX, something a bit trip hoppy about it at times.

Die Frau bought this the other week and highly recommends it. I love Fever Ray so will give it a whirl.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I love Fever Ray too so might try FKA Twigs, Interpol haven't touched my radar (wrong time, wrong place, definitely wrong age), but I popped into Resident this morning and, amongst other things, picked up their album of the week, which is 'Punish, Honey' by Vessel: half-way through a second listen, and am -- thus far -- very impressed.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Yeah - but isn't that ALL music, really?

Your brain has to be in the right place to take something in, if you get me? For some people Oasis was the most exciting thing to happen in music ever, because they were in the perfect place and time for it to be the soundtrack to growing up, having fun with mates, getting drunk, footy, antics etc.

I can't stand Oasis.

Even so, from what I know HT likes, I feel he should love TOTBL.

Full agreement. We both must have been seriously miserable about the same time! Out of interest, were you a Joy Division fan before you heard TOTBL? I wasn't.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Full agreement. We both must have been seriously miserable about the same time! Out of interest, were you a Joy Division fan before you heard TOTBL? I wasn't.

Not particularly. I liked their "atmosphere" but don't think they have anywhere as many actual good songs as Interpol. And obviously, the endless comparisons annoyed me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Not particularly. I liked their "atmosphere" but don't think they have anywhere as many actual good songs as Interpol. And obviously, the endless comparisons annoyed me.

I can understand why Joy Division/ post-punk fans are sometimes a bit sniffy about it though.

As I say, devils advocate. Some days it's my favourite record ever.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Blasphemy. Turn On The Bright Lights is the best album of the last 15 years. It's got the most incredible, incredible atmosphere. Only Funeral by AF comes even vaguely close for me.

Hang on - I was only saying that the release of a new Interpol album doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I think I actually prefer Antics now. TOTBL is a little bit relentlessly monochrome, although, at the time, I loved it. I remember buying the PDA single and thinking it was the best thing I'd heard that year. Only the very best bands can survive that level of hype though - they fell by the wayside, like The Strokes (who also made a decent attempt at a second album). Their music and sound is now fixed in time for me and I can't imagine buying another album by them - even if it's billed as a return to form.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I have to say that Banks debut album "Goddess" has surprised me. Very good album. Not on the same plane as Interpols incredible return, but a good listen nonetheless - think R&B Electronica

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hang on - I was only saying that the release of a new Interpol album doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I think I actually prefer Antics now. TOTBL is a little bit relentlessly monochrome, although, at the time, I loved it. I remember buying the PDA single and thinking it was the best thing I'd heard that year. Only the very best bands can survive that level of hype though - they fell by the wayside, like The Strokes (who also made a decent attempt at a second album). Their music and sound is now fixed in time for me and I can't imagine buying another album by them - even if it's billed as a return to form.

"Return To Form." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Even it it is, nothing is guaranteed to put me off more. Every Fall album since the mid 80's has been a "return to form."

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
"Return To Form." Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Even it it is, nothing is guaranteed to put me off more. Every Fall album since the mid 80's has been a "return to form."

....what about Oasis albums from number 4 onwards? Has anyone not employed by a music magazine with a vested interest EVER used this phrase? Is there a weaker compliment than this euphemism?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I can understand why Joy Division/ post-punk fans are sometimes a bit sniffy about it though.

As I say, devils advocate. Some days it's my favourite record ever.

Joy Division fans really, really, really need to get into Super Besse. Blew me away completely when I heard them for the first time. And again when I heard they were from Minsk. The chaps at Louder Than War are releasing their album next year.

http://superbesse.bandcamp.com/album/musique-pour-les-enfants

https://soundcloud.com/superbesse/super-besse-3

Not heard the new Fall album but will check it out post-haste.

Last edited:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Interesting. TOTBL will always be one of my favourite records, it has special place in my heart. However, perhaps a bit of devils advocate here- we're about the same age I reckon, was it a case of right place, right time?

Music usually is about time and place and certain records irrespective of their musical merit will always stay with you because of the memories they bring. As someone who also owns TOTBL but grew up in the era where all their influences come from it really didn't resonate with me and it is now in 'store' in my household because I rarely play it and I needed room on my CD racks for stuff I did. Their second album was the first one I ever downloaded in full but deleted it a long time ago because I rarely played it and it bored me a bit.

You have to accept that most bands have probably a couple of albums in them before the zeitgeist moves away leaving them the option of continuing to bring out the same type of stuff but with diminishing quality or heading in a new direction and losing a shed load of fans who want them to continue to do the former

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I love Fever Ray too so might try FKA Twigs, Interpol haven't touched my radar (wrong time, wrong place, definitely wrong age), but I popped into Resident this morning and, amongst other things, picked up their album of the week, which is 'Punish, Honey' by Vessel: half-way through a second listen, and am -- thus far -- very impressed.

Purchased it myself this morning, as noted in post 456, along with preordering Gazelle Twin, on the third listen now.

[yt]4RhJY9ZeYqw[/yt]

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Does FKA Twigs sound like Fever Ray? Hmm..interesting what different people hear in songs. I think she sounds more like a weird hybrid of Prince and XX. But it's a mighty fine album, whichever way you hear it and fully-deserving its Mercury nomination.

A couple of albums that I couldn't see mentioned - apologies if I've overlooked a review on here:

Mirel Wagner 'When The Cellar Children See The Light of Day' - Finnish female singer/songwriter who has drawn lots of comparisons with Nick Cave (Murder Ballads-era).

Erland and The Carnival 'Closing Time' - a much more pop-driven album than previously but quality is very high.

Tricky 'Adrian Thaws' - I'm extremely biased about Tricky, album-wise the man can do no wrong for me and this is another instant classic. You'll not find him breaking away from his tried-and-tested formula - an album lead tune that's both extremely personal and powerful, a quieter tune (usually with female vocals), a re-invented cover, an all-out rock tune...but he does it so well that I always enjoy listening to him. I think it's the honesty and candour that he expresses with his tunes.

Orenda Fink 'Blue Dream' - File this under the same heading as Sharon Von Etten, Lana Del Ray, Marissa Nadler, Mazzy Star. I'm a real sucker for this genre.

I'm extremely disappointed with Sinead O'Connor's new album though. I'm just not feeling the love. It sounds a tad too safe and far too within her comfort zone for me.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Currently waiting for my green vinyl EP to turn up from this lot, Thee Tsunamis, another all girl group who appear to have some Cramps and a fascination for old B movies in their DNA. Third track (Around 5 minutes) is the best, there are not enough songs in the world about falling in love with 9ft swamp monsters.

[yt]jSTAyAWOLZA[/yt]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'm a ridiculous Interpol fanboy and love even their 3rd and 4th, with all their massive flaws. The new album DOES evoke the mood of the first 2 and is worth a listen...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

See also:

R.E.M.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here