The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The Orwells second album was released today, Disgraceland. It's really good and I recommend it if anyone wants to listen to something new.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Parquet Courts new album Sunbathing Animals out yesterday, i'll be looking at buying this at some stage today. Very favourable reviews so far.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've decided that I love Shadow, the new album by Little Barrie. By far their best offering, and Barrie Cadogan really can work that guitar!

Bluesy rocky brilliance. They're playing in Brighton next week too, so that's not to be missed.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Sleaford Mods album whilst not as good as Austerity Dogs is an enjoyable listen. Very funny lyrics and for those of us old enough to remember Saturday Mornings on ITV there is a track called TISWAS. Catch then at The Haunt in October- if they bother to turn up that is.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I have recently latched onto Rainbow Kitten Surprise ..... their album Seven + Mary is brilliant in my view.... they are new, and I am quite taken with them.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
2 excellent and very different albums released on Constellation records recently.

Ought - More Than Any Other Day: This is how good I wish Parquet Courts were. Reminds me of me of melodic post hardcore like Unwound, Deerhunter & there is one song on the record that invalidates The Strokes entire career. One of the most assured debut albums I've heard in a while. Infectiously enthusiastic

Hiss Tracts - Shortwave Nights: If you like the slower bits of Godspeed, you're going to love this one!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ought - More Than Any Other Day: This is how good I wish Parquet Courts were. Reminds me of me of melodic post hardcore like Unwound, Deerhunter & there is one song on the record that invalidates The Strokes entire career. One of the most assured debut albums I've heard in a while. Infectiously enthusiastic

Will try this.

Gliding EP - Malka Spigel

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
2 excellent and very different albums released on Constellation records recently.

Hiss Tracts - Shortwave Nights: If you like the slower bits of Godspeed, you're going to love this one!

Ought sounds rather good. Full LP on youtube at the moment (*******s but it's made me buy it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-XwQjKHkE

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The Ought album is fantastic.

Also if you like them as well as Yo La Tengo, Real Estate, Galaxie 500 etc check out the album released by Posse a month or so ago.

Currently Listening to: Ben Frost, Inventions, Moon Gangs, Parquet Courts, Samaris, The Pains of Bring Pure at Heart and the record store day rerelease of The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters (what an album).

A whole lot of electro music got released over the last couple of weeks, Ben Frost and Samaris are well worth checking out if your into that sort of thing.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Bought the Phantom Band new album and going to play it to death this weekend.

niknokseagull

Give us a biscuit
Oct 8, 2003
London
Distant Satellites - The new album by Anathema is very good.

Quite simply. This.
Best kept secret in music. Criminally ignored for so long. Ten albums in, the last 7 of which have been consistently fabulous.

Will also throw another album that arrived on my doorstep on Monday with the above. Tesla's 'Simplicity'. Love, love, love it. And them. Always have. Always will. Playing Islington O2 tomorrow night too. There with bells on.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ought - More Than Any Other Day: couldn't really get on with this - hints of Cloud Nothings, Wilderness, Eagulls, Nada Surf, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, but the songs weren't strong enough for me.

Tuneyards - Nikki Nack: a lot of fun. So much going on that you need a lot of plays to get a handle on it and, by then, you're hooked in.

Gold-Bears - Dalliance: Gedge will not be pleased that they nicked his title. For fans of Pains Of Being Pure At Heart and anthemic twee indie rock. Pretty consistently above average, occasionally fantastic. Worth seeking out for a manic pop thrill.

Pixies - Indie Cindy: actually pretty decent, much better than I expected. For me, better than Trompe Le Monde.

The Proper Ornaments - Wooden Head: for fans of The Byrds, VU, Hopkirk and Lee, first Engineers album, at a push The Clientele and Crystal Stilts. Generally pleasant jangly guitars with nice harmonised vocals. I can't say it'll take your breath away, but there are three or four tracks you would gladly put on a mixtape for public consumption.

Withered Hand - New Gods: I'm sure it would sound lovely in a Zack Braff film, but I found it a bit wearing - kind of acoustic-y singer-songwriter style indie that could have mass appeal given the right exposure. No jagged edges, too well-mannered, not surprising.

I'll get back to you on Sharon van Etten (sorry - very slow on this one) and Strands of Oaks.

Flex Your Head

Gold-Bears - Dalliance: Gedge will not be pleased that they nicked his title. For fans of Pains Of Being Pure At Heart and anthemic twee indie rock. Pretty consistently above average, occasionally fantastic. Worth seeking out for a manic pop thrill.

The Proper Ornaments - Wooden Head: for fans of The Byrds, VU, Hopkirk and Lee, first Engineers album, at a push The Clientele and Crystal Stilts. Generally pleasant jangly guitars with nice harmonised vocals. I can't say it'll take your breath away, but there are three or four tracks you would gladly put on a mixtape for public consumption.

Withered Hand - New Gods: I'm sure it would sound lovely in a Zack Braff film, but I found it a bit wearing - kind of acoustic-y singer-songwriter style indie that could have mass appeal given the right exposure. No jagged edges, too well-mannered, not surprising.

That Gold-Bears album is bloody great, but I'm afraid you lose points for use of the T word. Grrr!

Still not got round to listening to the new Proper Ornaments album yet, but I loved their debut. I'd add bands like The West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band to the mix, and a mid-80's Flying Nun sound, especially on this little beauty.

I think I might prefer them to James Hoare's other, better-known band, Veronica Falls.

Also, I've only heard the new Withered Hand album once in it's entirety, so can't really comment yet, but I've heard a few people mention that it's a real 'grower' (fnarrr etc), none more so than here - http://afogofideas.blogspot.co.uk/

And let's not forget this absolute classic while we're here, still in my Top 10 songs of the century.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I love Jack White. Again and again he reduces passionate, urgent and compelling albums in his many guises.

And he's done it again. Lazaretto is brilliant. As often with him, I wasn't convinced on the first two listens, but now I cannot get it off the turntable. What an album.

What an album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports