Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That Glenn Murray is a very good player

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Brilliant, A new manager decides to play up to the press and impose fines on his diving players, this after nearly two seasons of some of the finest dives from professional footballers you are likely to see and we have a Palace **** claiming because of this they are not cheats!! The hypocrisy from this club from the Chairman Parish, who wanted Ashley Young suspended, down to this fan who after two fines is now pronouncing the club don't cheat is unbelievable. Is Parish going to send out back dated fines to the likes of Zaha for last season now you have this new policy, really laughable.
Hypocrisy?

You are of course fully aware you had Ashley Barnes playing for your team? And how Brighton had a reputation for shall we say "continental agriculture" in terms of tackles.

I suggest you go back and look at the penalties last season and count how many we were given and why they were given. Tell you what, we could give you a list as long of penalties we weren't given thanks to Zat Knight's claims of cheating and Ginger Tosser's radio campaign.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Brilliant, A new manager decides to play up to the press and impose fines on his diving players, this after nearly two seasons of some of the finest dives from professional footballers you are likely to see and we have a Palace **** claiming because of this they are not cheats!! The hypocrisy from this club from the Chairman Parish, who wanted Ashley Young suspended, down to this fan who after two fines is now pronouncing the club don't cheat is unbelievable. Is Parish going to send out back dated fines to the likes of Zaha for last season now you have this new policy, really laughable.

Noticed your big Jessie went down easily, maybe he had a pair of Zaha's boots on.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Noticed your big Jessie went down easily, maybe he had a pair of Zaha's boots on.

To be fair he felt a massive shitter was clinging on.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yeah and Jerome Thomas went down easily when he could have won the game for you. Comedy gold.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hypocrisy?

You are of course fully aware you had Ashley Barnes playing for your team? And how Brighton had a reputation for shall we say "continental agriculture" in terms of tackles.

I suggest you go back and look at the penalties last season and count how many we were given and why they were given. Tell you what, we could give you a list as long of penalties we weren't given thanks to Zat Knight's claims of cheating and Ginger Tosser's radio campaign.

The fact is players of all/most clubs do it. Pulis was right about it being a poison in the game. Alas, I don't think he was correct in saying that we're nearly rid of it.

I genuinely don't believe any club is worse at it than any other - some clubs may just end up with more players who are adept at it at any one time. i certainly don't believe any clubs are actively coaching their players to do it.

The Cameron Jerome incident shows just how fine a margin it is - the defender only just managed to pull his foot back in time. Another few centimetres and Jerome would have had what he needed to trail his leg over and obtain the much-desired penalty. On another day, or with another defender he'd have been successful, Murray would have slotted home the resultant penalty and Palace would be 2 more points closer to safety.

I really think it is only going to stop when fans unite to condemn it, leading the way by targeting their own players who seek to cheat, and doing so even when the cheating has been responsible for a positive match result. If players were being booed by their own fans for cheating, it would surely change attitudes on the pitch finally.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The fact is players of all/most clubs do it. Pulis was right about it being a poison in the game. Alas, I don't think he was correct in saying that we're nearly rid of it.

I genuinely don't believe any club is worse at it than any other - some clubs may just end up with more players who are adept at it at any one time. i certainly don't believe any clubs are actively coaching their players to do it.

The Cameron Jerome incident shows just how fine a margin it is - the defender only just managed to pull his foot back in time. Another few centimetres and Jerome would have had what he needed to trail his leg over and obtain the much-desired penalty. On another day, or with another defender he'd have been successful, Murray would have slotted home the resultant penalty and Palace would be 2 more points closer to safety.

I really think it is only going to stop when fans unite to condemn it, leading the way by targeting their own players who seek to cheat, and doing so even when the cheating has been responsible for a positive match result. If players were being booed by their own fans for cheating, it would surely change attitudes on the pitch finally.

It would stop if the FA gave out suspensions retrospectively for cheating, or trying to cheat the refs based on viewing video footage of incidents after the game.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I don't actually blame Palace players for diving. Zaha is a very skillful player, who draws defenders into challenges, so he does 'win' penalties. But he does also dive a fair bit. Murray is a diver too. He helped us win promotion with his dives, and he (along with Zaha) did the same for you. If Palace didn't cheat their way to several penalties last season, they wouldn't have gone up. So I'd imagine most Palace fans are pleased their players got away with it so many times.

I put 100% of the blame for diving on FIFA. They make the rules. If I was in charge, players wouldn't dive, because they'd get a lengthy ban each time they did it.

I still resent the lazy remarks that we dived to win a lot of penalties last season, when exactly? The softest one was against you at home and there was still an ounce of contact. There may have been other soft penalties but they weren't dives, more soft decisions for handball for example.

These things go in cycles IMO, under George Burley and later Dougie in 2010, we conceded 14 penalties I think that season. This season we've also conceded a fair amount of penalties, 3 of which were either outside the box or very harsh, the problem is on here some people choose to forget that.

As you said though, you've not been ommited from this either, Murray won you a fair amount of penalties, as did Leon Knight a few years before, all this bitterness is just hypocrisy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still resent the lazy remarks that we dived to win a lot of penalties last season, when exactly? The softest one was against you at home and there was still an ounce of contact.
I'd say there was more than an ounce of contact in the first one - the problem with it was that Murray had hit the ball to his left, and then instead of running towards the ball, he ran towards Kuszczak. It was clever, and he used to do it for us. The worst one I remember was at yours the season before, when Zaha went down after receiving no contact at all. There were a few others I saw on tv, where Zaha would use his skill and speed in the box, and run at a defenders leg to try and get a penalty, but I can't remember particular incidents that didn't involve us off the top of my head.

the problem is on here some people choose to forget that.
Well yes, you're not going to get the fairest reviews on here.

As you said though, you've not been ommited from this either, Murray won you a fair amount of penalties
I think Murray does it, and I think Zaha does it. One of those did the same for us, and the other no longer plays for you. I wasn't suggesting it's a Palace thing, it's just my opinion that you've won more than your share of dodgy penalties in the last couple of years.

all this bitterness is just hypocrisy.
I'm not bitter, I just call it as I see it. I doubt many here are bitter, a lot of us like to slag off Palace when given the chance, that's all.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'd say there was more than an ounce of contact in the first one - the problem with it was that Murray had hit the ball to his left, and then instead of running towards the ball, he ran towards Kuszczak. It was clever, and he used to do it for us. The worst one I remember was at yours the season before, when Zaha went down after receiving no contact at all. There were a few others I saw on tv, where Zaha would use his skill and speed in the box, and run at a defenders leg to try and get a penalty, but I can't remember particular incidents that didn't involve us off the top of my head.

Well yes, you're not going to get the fairest reviews on here.

I think Murray does it, and I think Zaha does it. One of those did the same for us, and the other no longer plays for you. I wasn't suggesting it's a Palace thing, it's just my opinion that you've won more than your share of dodgy penalties in the last couple of years.

I'm not bitter, I just call it as I see it. I doubt many here are bitter, a lot of us like to slag off Palace when given the chance, that's all.

But again though Triggy, you've chosen to mention an example from the season before, one which even Poyet accepted due to the fact Buckley went down like a tonne of bricks, didn't he also dive recently too? Everyone has won dubious penalties though to paraphrase your post.

I'm happy to accept we had some generous decisions go our way last season but the most contentious of the lot was Murray's and Palace fans accept it was fortunate, we really should have had another penalty in that match though from another Greer assault on Muzza. Apart from that, there was not one single penalty we won that came from a dive, find one and I'll buy you a pint next time I'm back in Brighton :drink:

I would suggest that a fair amount of people on here are bitter, Murray + the fact we pipped you to promotion and it would hurt a lot if I were in that position.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But again though Triggy, you've chosen to mention an example from the season before
Well obviously I remember the incidents against us better.
one which even Poyet accepted due to the fact Buckley went down like a tonne of bricks
I don't care what Gus said. Managers aren't truthful, they say what they think is best for them to say at the time, it rarely has anything to do with reality. I think Brighton fans in general also thought Buckley's penalty that day was soft. But I was referring to Zaha, and his reputation.

didn't he also dive recently too?
Not that I'm aware of? Did he get a penalty?
Everyone has won dubious penalties though to paraphrase your post.
Of course many players have won penalties, but some players earn a reputation for going down easier than others. Like Suarez and Bale, and Zaha in the Championship, it's often the skillful ones that are fouled a lot, that start to anticipate challenges and dive a bit.

I'm happy to accept we had some generous decisions go our way last season but the most contentious of the lot was Murray's and Palace fans accept it was fortunate, we really should have had another penalty in that match though from another Greer assault on Muzza.
There was another? You're probably right, I've been blocking that day from memory.

Apart from that, there was not one single penalty we won that came from a dive
:lol: pull the other one.
find one and I'll buy you a pint next time I'm back in Brighton :drink:
Ok. Would it be ok if you buy it, and then **** off? I don't actually want to be with a Palace fan while enjoying my winnings.

Only kidding.

I wouldn't really accept a drink from a Palace scumbag.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Really impressed with glenns second half display yesterday , hes nearly back to his best .

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still resent the lazy remarks that we dived to win a lot of penalties last season, when exactly? The softest one was against you at home and there was still an ounce of contact. There may have been other soft penalties but they weren't dives, more soft decisions for handball for example.

These things go in cycles IMO, under George Burley and later Dougie in 2010, we conceded 14 penalties I think that season. This season we've also conceded a fair amount of penalties, 3 of which were either outside the box or very harsh, the problem is on here some people choose to forget that.

As you said though, you've not been ommited from this either, Murray won you a fair amount of penalties, as did Leon Knight a few years before, all this bitterness is just hypocrisy.
Zaha's 6 yellow cards for 'simulation' during 2012/13 is pretty damming though.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Hypocrisy?

Yes Hypocrisy.

We are not a club, who has a chairman going public, claiming another clubs player should be banned for diving against his club to win a game, like Parish with the Ashley Young incident. This after a season of gaining a large number of penalties in a season that these penalties almost certainly aided his club in promotion.
I am not a supporter on another clubs message board trying to claim the same club are not cheating because after nearly two seasons of diving the manager decides to fine the players, because he does consider some Palace players cheats, or why would he fine them for diving?
I hate to see Brighton players do it and Murray did it for us, Barnes also was guilty of trying this. But where are the quoted Tony Bloom condemnation of another clubs player doing this against the Albion. Where are the Brighton fans posts on another clubs message boards claiming we are not a cheating club because our players have been fined by the clubs management for doing exactly that cheating.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here