Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Text message re £400 Energy Bill Support

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But if they pay their landlords a rent inclusive of bills then their bills won’t be going up anyway. The landlord will be paying the higher energy bills and so presumably will be compensated through the scheme.

I pay all in and they have just put my rent up “to cover rising energy bills”. However, the increase is way less than I’d be paying if it were my name on the bills so I will poke up with it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Yes, in theory. Except many landlords will have factored in price rises before the govt interventions.

I pay all in and they have just put my rent up “to cover rising energy bills”. However, the increase is way less than I’d be paying if it were my name on the bills so I will poke up with it.

With energy prices so volatile and so heavily reliant upon state support I wonder whether these all inclusive rentals will become a thing of the past. It sounds very difficult to know who is bearing the brunt of higher prices.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Coincidentally I received an email last night from EDF confirming that from October we will get six monthly payments/reductions of around £67. If most energy suppliers are doing this it should shut down this scam quite quickly

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Coincidentally I received an email last night from EDF confirming that from October we will get six monthly payments/reductions of around £67. If most energy suppliers are doing this it should shut down this scam quite quickly

It’s the same thing. The £400 is paid in 6 monthly installments from October. It’s that money that the scammers are after by playing on people’s lack of understanding that you don’t need to do anything to receive these energy bill deductions.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Got one from mine this morning. I wonder if they are being 'encouraged' to get the message out quickly. Would seem sensible.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Cracking scam. I started filling it in, then it asked for all my credit card details and I backed the **** out of there.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With energy prices so volatile and so heavily reliant upon state support I wonder whether these all inclusive rentals will become a thing of the past. It sounds very difficult to know who is bearing the brunt of higher prices.

Yeah, it’s a bit of a muddle. For my circumstances, I think I’m quite protected against the high rates for now. My landlords own many properties, genuinely in the hundreds. So I guess if they put up everyone’s rent by the 8% they put mine up, they’ll cover the extra cost. I’m fine with that as it’s kind of a win/win. But there will be landlords who only have one or two properties and that is where the costs must have an impact.

But yeah, they’ll have to figure something out to cover as many landlords and tenants I reckon.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I did know of this scam. But when clicking the link my computer shouts at me. Firefox warns me then, if I click ignore, my AVG anti virus kicks in. It's good to think so many are looking after us.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Another about Apple Pay being suspended lots have fallen for this heard it on the wireless. How dim must you be not to even bother checking your actual Apple Pay.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Had the text this morning, I say I had the text it was moved immediately to the spam and blocked folder by mobile operator.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
From October 2022, everyone's energy bill will be cut by £400. This will be applied over six months, with a reduction of £66 in October and November, and £67 every month between December and March 2023.

Thanks to my very own Nigerian Financial Advisor , Prince something or other who gave me this very sound advice for a one off payment of £401.

TNBA

TTF

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My monthly direct debit is about to be cut by £66 for the rebate, but increase by £67 because of the price cap.

[emoji854]

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The mobile companies sell the phone numbers in the first place, I have an emergency phone in the car I don’t even know the number let alone anyone else it receives the occasional scam text.

No they don't. Lists of phone numbers can be bought easily online for pennies. Scammers also use phone number generators, some of which end up being real. You can't avoid receiving these, but as others have said, don't reply or you'll end up on a premium "live" list.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No they don't. Lists of phone numbers can be bought easily online for pennies. Scammers also use phone number generators, some of which end up being real. You can't avoid receiving these, but as others have said, don't reply or you'll end up on a premium "live" list.
They do, the way to stop it on 02 anyway is to log into your account and disable marketing options. Since I’ve done this I’ve not been plagued by nuisance calls/texts. Once a marketing list is out there who knows who gets hold of it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Just got the scam text. The .com address gives it away. The £400 will be adjusted against your direct debit account by your energy supplier.

I understood that the £400 would be paid into my account in six batches of £66/£67, separately from any payments and caps connected with our fuel bills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here