Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Terrible i know.........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just can't wish Graham good luck tonight with his 1st game in charge. Sort of hoping Salzberg win tonight which is unusual for me as I generally hope British teams do well in Europe.

You know what? Despite being the most sanguine of supporters, relaxed and looking forward to the new appointment, happy for Potter and all that.....I hope they get their back doors totally smashed in today. It would be hilarious. :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm probably in the minority that I couldn't really give a stuff about English teams in Europe, but would like to see GPott succeed (apart from against us, obvs), starting with a win tonight :shrug:

His departure doesn't change the fact that he's an excellent coach and I wish him well, regardless of how or why he left BHAFC.

This is excactly where I am at. I think Potter is a decent individual who has invested heavily in himself in many ways; he deserves some reward for this and I think it will come. I also hope, and I'm sure he will, manage England one day.

Who knows, he might even start a trend for more enlightened and progressive English coaches which would surely be a good thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I feel ambivalent. I’ll probably catch a bit of it tonight. Seeing him on their dugout will feel a bit surreal. I’ll probably feel a little sad, but then move on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you think you're the victims of some hideous modern football crime, imagine if Boehly had bought the club, renamed it McDonalds Brighton, switched team colours and then said "this is a new club with no history". That was what happened to Austra Salzburg some 15-20 years ago. Under no circumstances would I ever hope that this team wins a football game.

Wouldnt happen in Germany..........oh.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hope Chelsea lose 4-0, honestly not fussed about big British teams doing well in Europe, I also never want Liverpool to win in Europe……:)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is excactly where I am at. I think Potter is a decent individual who has invested heavily in himself in many ways; he deserves some reward for this and I think it will come. I also hope, and I'm sure he will, manage England one day.

Who knows, he might even start a trend for more enlightened and progressive English coaches which would surely be a good thing.

I think he will end up England manager one day - but I’m not certain it’s a job that will suit him.

I believe his style requires the ability to be with the players for a lot of time, and I also think his playing style needs quite a bit of time to bed in - ie I can imagine England going out quite early in his first tournament. I’m not convinced the media would give him the time he’d need to implement his ideas and culture fully with England.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That’s not terrible, it is reasonable.
Years ago I always supported English teams in Europe, when the managers and players were British. Since the Globalisation Of The Prem League, I have lost that support. Now ,apart from Brighton, I could not care.

Exactly. In the 'Good Old Days' we always supported the British teams. Those days are long gone and my allegiance now is to #teamslikeBrighton, i.e. the smaller clubs who are trying to punch above their weight. So when it's a smaller club playing one of the rich global elite I always want the smaller club to win, regardless of their geographical location. So I want Salzberg to win because I don't want to see the super-rich win everything (even though they do). I don't care who the managers are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hope Chelsea lose 4-0, honestly not fussed about big British teams doing well in Europe, I also never want Liverpool to win in Europe……:)

They're the only one I really bother about tbh. I do like the big european nights but I'm not really drawn to any particular club or nation other than Liverpool.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've never really got the whole 'I support English teams in Europe'. Thinking of the sides from our fair shores, most of them have irritated me numerous times over the years with their entitlement or 'big 6' swagger mentality. Wht would I want them to get even more cocky?

Frankly the majority of European football teams have seldom done anything to annoy me, so I'd rather they brought the bill big b*llocks down to earth.

It originated (for me) when we never got a sniff of the top flight, let alone Europe. Like it was some other competition nothing to do with Brighton.

Since I have got used to the idea that our stay in the EPL may not simply be a five minute wonder, and that these other teams are actually now our rivals, my interest in their doing well has reduced simply to whether their success benefits Brighton at all, or not. I figured that a successful campaign by EPL teams raises the EPL cachet allowing Brighton to attract better players. Maybe.

Now I find myself sniggering at, for example, Spuds' injury time 'heartache' yesterday, and being less than bothered about whether Liverpool might snatch a winner against Ajax. In fact, despite Liverpool being my pal Bob's team (ramblings passim), it gave me a certain amount of pleasure to see them lumbering about last night, Maurice Salad enjoying a very rare goal then disappearing again, Trent looking goggle eyed, the little Greek wingback no longer looking in a different (lower) league than his underperforming team mates; Nunez making me feel we dodged a bullet, and then the late sub, young up and coming 43 year old little Jimmy Milner. Christ!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Get over it.

How many Potter and Chelsea threads are there going to be..

It's like pining after an ex that's dump you.

Yeah, but what happens when that ex turns up at your house a few weeks later with the new boyfriend in tow and has sex on your sofa and worst of all shes wearing that red basque that you bought her for Christmas.

still get over it eh :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I dunno. Part of me wants Potter to demonstrate that he really is a top top manager, that we were right all along, and multiple league titles would justify that he made the right decision.

Tonight's result is of course irrelevant in the whole scheme if things, he won't change anything overnight.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think he will end up England manager one day - but I’m not certain it’s a job that will suit him.

I believe his style requires the ability to be with the players for a lot of time, and I also think his playing style needs quite a bit of time to bed in - ie I can imagine England going out quite early in his first tournament. I’m not convinced the media would give him the time he’d need to implement his ideas and culture fully with England.

I disagree. I cannot remember the thread, so if someone can help here I'll be appreciative, but [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]Exile gave an superb overview and what turned out to be an equaly superb Q&A about emotional intelligence a few weeks back. It was fascinating and enlightening and amongst many things he addressed GPott and his suitablilty for the England role far better than I will be able to.

I'll try again and find it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I disagree. I cannot remember the thread, so if someone can help here I'll be appreciative, but [MENTION=3357]brighton[/MENTION]Exile gave an superb overview and what turned out to be an equaly superb Q&A about emotional intelligence a few weeks back. It was fascinating and enlightening and amongst many things he addressed GPott and his suitablilty for the England role far better than I will be able to.

I'll try again and find it.

I don’t doubt his emotional intelligence working very well at international level, dealing with the pressures of major tournaments. I can imagine him being excellent at that.

But how does it address the two pertinent points;

1 - lack of time with the players. Graham seems definitely one to want regular daily time with the players, and likely requires to implement his methods.

2 - lack of patience. We saw how long it took at Brighton. The international equivalent would be England having 2 disappointing tournaments in a row, playing lovely football but not finishing sides off. You really think the media/fans would be patient enough to sit through a Euros and WC on the hope it gets better by the 3rd tournament.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They're the only one I really bother about tbh. I do like the big european nights but I'm not really drawn to any particular club or nation other than Liverpool.

I thought we were talking about British teams….some of their fans don’t seem to know where their team is based :)
I’m not sure if the “Scouse not English” mob also don’t see themselves as British.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don’t doubt his emotional intelligence working very well at international level, dealing with the pressures of major tournaments. I can imagine him being excellent at that.

1 - lack of time with the players. Graham seems definitely one to want regular daily time with the players, and likely requires to implement his methods.

2 - lack of patience. We saw how long it took at Brighton. The international equivalent would be England having 2 disappointing tournaments in a row, playing lovely football but not finishing sides off. You really think the media/fans would be patient enough to sit through a Euros and WC on the hope it gets better by the 3rd tournament.

The thread adressess your first point really well and with a lot of detail. Let me try and find it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Not terrible at all. I don't 'blame' any of them for leaving, but they well and truly shafted us and they know it. I don't think they'd even expect us to wish them well.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
download-1.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Here's an extract, the poster directly answers your question:

Q: Would you say Potter would not make a good England manager as he wouldn't get to work with the players on a daily basis?

A: I think it's probably the opposite - when a relationship is built on solid principles of trust and common understanding there's a bit of a residual effect that lasts a long time. There's research that shows giving someone a significantly positive experience in a work environment for example, that's done without expectation of reciprocation (another part of EI, giving without expectation), can have a tail of 5 years or more in which the recipient will gladly repay the value without you having to even reference whatever favour you did. (Provided you've not done anything in the meantime that's incongruent with your original behaviour...consistency is important.) From an England point of view I can imagine he'd not just go to watch players in games but check-in regularly with them too so each time they met up it'd be part of a continuum of a relationship. New players coming into the team would have to accept that as part of the deal but I doubt they'd have a problem with it. It'd be like bonus pastoral care. Fall out with Tuchel? Graham's on the phone to talk about your holiday in Florida and your dogs and give you space away from pressure cooker of your club because he cares about you as a human. Or even better, rings to ask your advice on something - football related or not, nothing better than that. Then when you all come together again there's no starting-over, it's more of the same. He's consistently demonstrated he's got your interests at heart so of course you respect him and you'll listen to him.

Potter got criticism on here when he apologised to the Man City bench after the LEGENDARY COMEBACK, especially when they'd behaved like twats, but I think it was a bit of a 4D chess move. Not only does he have exceptional integrity and professionalism but he's also aware he might be managing some of the City players one day either at Brighton or elsewhere. How do they think of him now? Undoubtedly as a quality coach who is honest, passionate, and who holds himself to high standards of behaviour. Who wouldn't want to play for someone like that? But also, that consistency piece: he's not just like that when he wants something from you, he's demonstrated he's like that all the time because even after that night and that performance he was humble enough. He's constantly building credit with people whether he manages them or not and again, research shows people who do that in any walk of life struggle the first year or two because people might question their motives or they don't have enough credit to get any benefit from it yet, but over time they almost always reach the top. See Fergie again - he was great at it. Total EI jedi moves with players and every United stakeholder (urgh, hate that word) thinking several steps ahead and never burning any bridges (though others may burn them for you, Stam for example).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here