Team for Wednesday

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Mattock and Reyes in is a given surely. El Abd alongside Greer as Dunk has had two shockers and at only 19 needs a break now ?
Gus might put El Abd at right back though if he wants to try Reyes in midfield again which would give Dunk a reprieve.
A rest for Calderon maybe ?
Surely he has to try Vokes and CMS up front together sooner or later.

Ank or Brez

El Abd Greer Dunk Mattock
Bridcutt
Sparrow Reyes Razak
CMS Vokes Lua Lua

This is what I fancy.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he will play Casper. Gus does seem to adopt a one bad game and you're out approach IF he has options.

Also disappointed in Noone yesterday.

To be fair it's been 3 poor games in a row for Brez now, by my count. Was FANTASTIC before that, but seems to be losing confidence fast at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Take Dunk out of central defence and we lose our quickest centre back and best in the air.

I would paid him with El Abd. But that won't happen.

You are obviously joking his ability in the air is one of his poorest aspects of his game, having said that he is slightly better than Greer but neither are as good as El Abd or when fit Elphick but perhaps better in other aspects.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Ankergren
Reyes Greer El Abd Mattock
Lua Lua/Buckley Bridcutt Razak Barnes
CMS Vokes

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I have real concerns about playing elAbd for the simple reason that his shenanigans up against Carroll yesterday will have made him a marked man for every centre forward and every referee - red card waiting to happen.

That said Dunk has now had two very poor games in a row. Maybe the virus he suffered or maybe just a long season catching up with a very young player. He needs some serious 1 to 1 time with the gaffer to persuade him how good he can be and to lift his confidence. We have to learn too that you cannot play three centre backs with Greer, Dunk and elAbd all in the centre no-one knew what they were doing. Get back to Greer and one other so they have their own space to cover and can settle back to playing the way they know how.

In the last few games Brezovan has gone from being confident in handling the ball to trying to punch and palm it away a la Ankergren. I can only think that the responsibility for encouraging goalkeepers to view their engagement with the football as a non-contact sport to be the responsibility of the goalkeeping coach :(

Would I give him another game to sort his head out or would I replace him now? Bearing in mind that the replacement has to be Ankergren (otherwise you might as well say to him that his Albion career is finished now) I think I would talk to him and make it clear that he either takes charge of his area or he gets dropped. I am not convinced from the limited reports that we have heard that the new keeper is ready. Once again the keeper is our crisis position.

Midfield, defensively almost takes care of itself with Razak coming in, quite probably in place of Bridcutt if he is injured but otherwise stepping in for Navarro. Attacking midfield seems to depend on whether Buckley is fit. He certainly looked well off the pace yesterday. Assulin if he is match fit will surely start with, I would hope, Vicente but if Gus views that as being too attacking away from home then probably Noone as he is probably marginally more capable chasing back than Kaz.

Up front we now have more problems than before we brought in Vokes. He came to partner CMS but they haven't played together largely because Barnes has done an excellent job defending from the front. However, with two high quality full backs now in place (sorry Calde but you are going to see a lot of the bench for a while) we have to give the pairing a try. I am Barnes' biggest fan and I don't think he deserves to be dropped but if we don't develop a more potent attacking threat we are not going to threaten the play-offs.
The result is everything on Wednesday as Hull will be viewing this as a potential walk in the park - "sling over a few crosses and it's job done"

The side for me?

Brezovan

Reyes Greer Dunk Mattock

Buckley/Noone* Bridcutt/Navarro* Razak Assulin

Vokes CMS

subs: Ankergren Barnes Vicente Calderon KLL

*dependant on injuries

MarkJoyce

Jan 17, 2012
-------David Gonzalez-----

Reyes----Al-Abd-----Dunk-----Matock

----------Bridcutt-----------

Buckley------Vincente-------Lua Lua

CMS-------Vokes

Subs: Brezavan, Greer, Calderon, Caskey-Forster, Noone, Navarro

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love the way everyone is leaving Barnes out. Have you not been following Gus's team selections this season?

Barnes is my favourite player at the moment for the way he has adapted and grown his game but given the talents we now have in midfield and a new found strength at full back the time has come when we need to find out if we can play a fluid 4-4-2 with CMS and Vokes paired together. No-one regrets more than I do that this means Barnes has to drop to the bench but it is time to find out whether we can utilise the genuinely outstanding talents now available to us. If we keep him in the starting XI playing his current role we limit our potential to develop further

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
------------------ Gonzalez --------------------
Reyes ---- Greer ------ El Abd ------ Mattock
Buckley ---- Bridcutt --- Razak ------ Lua Lua
------------------- Vicente ----------------------
-------------------- Vokes ----------------------

Highly unlikely, but wishful thinking on my behalf.

That is hell of a team on paper.

D

Deleted member 18477

brez

reyes - greer - el abd - mattock

sparrow - bridcutt - razak

assulin - vicente

CMS

subs: Calde - JFC - Buckley - LuaLua - Vokes (thats right no keeper! stick Calde in goal if we have to!)

rested: Noone, Barnes, Dunk, Casper etc etc
keep it tight, pass, pass, pass approach and lets have another cardiff performance.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Assulin ---- Bridcutt --- Razak ------ Lua Lua
----------------- Mackail-Smith --------------------

Ankergren
Calderon
Sparrow
Vicente
Buckley

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
no point leaving out cms if vokes starts , otherwise what was the point of getting a player like him in to provide service for cms , Bridcut may get a rest (poss injured anyhow)

Anchorman
Calderon
Greer
Dunk
Mattock
Buckley
Razzak
Sparrow
Lualua
Vokes
Cms

Noone
Breadvan
Vicente
El Abd
Barnes

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Assulin ---- Bridcutt --- Razak ------ Lua Lua
----------------- Mackail-Smith --------------------

Ankergren
Calderon
Sparrow
Vicente
Buckley
I quite like that biut no sure about Gonzalez having never seen him play but other than that it looks a good side. Dont think it will happen though as Gus likes Barnes.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I really fail to understand why people want Gonzalez in goal, a keeper nobody has seen play. Brez has been doing fantastically for us in goal recently (bar yesterday) so I can't understand why you would replace him with an unknown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports