Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take him or leave him- Rooney 3 game ban

Should Rooey go or not

• Total voters

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Take him, I think we're being defeatist if we're saying we won't get out of the group stage, we may as well not turn up. If we get out of the groups and come up against superior opposition we will regret leaving him at home. We've also got a 23 man squad which is plenty big enough even if you've only got 22 available for the first 3 games, if people are that hung up about it then just take 2 keepers.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
By the time he is able to play the team without him would of got through so deserve to play. f*** him

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
The obvious answer is take him to the tournament. I can't believe people are saying anything different.

We know we're going to have to get through the group without him. Having an extra striker on the bench in those games isn't a MASSIVE deal. However, getting through and then not having our best player available would be. Clearly he has to go. The only circumstances I can think of where this wouldn't be the case is if we go into the tournament with two or three other strikes all carrying injuries.

Turkey v Croatia
Estonia v Republic of Ireland
Czech Republic v Montenegro
Bosnia v Portugal
Already through to the finals, alongside co-hosts Poland and Ukraine, are Spain, Germany, Russia, Italy, France, Holland, Greece, England, Denmark and Sweden.

Pick the three teams you'd want to get where you'd expect to walk the group.

I'd expect
Pot 1 - Poland and Ukraine, are Spain, Germany
Pot 2 - Russia, Italy, Holland, England
Pot 3 - Greece, France, Denmark and Sweden
Pot 4 - play-off teams.

Potentially could get Spain, France and Portugal.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
By the time he is able to play the team without him would of got through so deserve to play. f*** him

Exactly, you're saying to the team play well get us through to the knockout games then one of you will be dropped so Rooney can play.

What about if one of the strikers gets injured in the first game ? Then you are a player light if you take Rooney, no player should be in the squad unless they can play a part in the whole tournament.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Take him. IF we get through, then we'll need him against 'better' sides.

I do have to wonder if he had been German, French or Spanish whether his ban would have been for three games.

Much as I think Rooney brought it on himself, and it is hard to disagree with the three-game ban based on the actual incident, I do agree with you. They really hate us, any excuse to stick the knife in.

I'm imagining a sort of General Melchet-stylee kangaroo court.

"I've got these letters of mitigation from Rooney and the FA saying about his dad being arrested the day before, but he played on for his team - I don't think we'll be needing those today. Where's the black cap?"

Stumpy Tim

I can't believe there are people saying we shouldn't take him because we probably won't get through the group stages. If we're not going there to win it then why bother turning up? We'll take Rooney as we'll need him in the knock-out stages if we have any chance of beating the Germans, Dutch or Spanish.

If we're not going there to win it can we pick a couple of 16 year olds so they get the experience. And not Zamora as he's too old to be getting experience for the next major event

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Leave him.

-We're not going to win the tournament, with or without him, but with him the press build up our chances and everyone loses perspective, and the backlash from another failure will be worse than is fair
-When rooney is in the team we rely too much on him, leaving him behind gives the team a chance to show they are that, a team, not support players to rooney. I personally believe teams should not be built around one player, and that a team that can play as a cohesive unit can be better than one that plays good players in ways that are set to show off one great player.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
when are we going to start developing for future tournaments. The fact is Germany and Spain look nailed on, so my question to the FA, why take the John Terry's etc with their guaranteed games. Lets take a young developmental side, give them games on the big stage and start building for the future!!

Its not rocket science, Germany have done it....how longhave Spain taken to get where they are now?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Even if we get through the group stages and he is brought in...

One, he'd be busting in on a winning or relatively successful side
Two, his head would be a mess for having to sit out three games - with the possiblity of having gone to Poland/Ukraine and offering nothing - meaning that...
Three, his temprament would still be unreliable

As for 'playing well against better sides' in the knockout stages, when did he ever do that?

Leave him at home.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Take him. Like it or not he is one of our best players. Due to the bizarre uefa seedings im sure we will be a high ranking team and could qualify and to be able to bring him into the team fresh and wanting to play could really hurt the other teams

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
it is hard to disagree with the three-game ban based on the actual incident ...... any excuse to stick the knife in.

That is called having your cake and eating it, old chap.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not sure how you can make a decision right now. Depends on who is in form and smashing the goals in May 2012. At present you'd have to take him, because we're not exactly blessed with options.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here