Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Take him or leave him- Rooney 3 game ban

Should Rooey go or not

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So 25% of the time you don't have to be the best team. Sounds like we have a chance to me.

Realistically, how many teams in the tournament would beat us more often than we would beat them if we played them ten times?

Spain
Netherlands
Possibly Germany

Not sure there is anyone else who would, I think it would be fairly even between us an Italy / France / Portugal.

So we do have a chance.

Still cant see it happening though.

25% means we have a 1 in 15 chance of that 25% along with the other teams behind the favourites.

Your list of who we would beat more if we played 10 times is also massively optimistic:
Portugal, our record since 1986 is P8 W1 D3 L4 (inc. friendlies & pens)
France, our record since 1984 is P9 W2 D2 L5 (inc. friendlies)
Germany, our record since 1990 is P9 W3 D1 L5 (inc. friendlies)
Italy, our record since 1990 is P6 W1 D1 L4 (inc. friendlies)
Sweden, our record since 1990 is P9 W1 D5 L3 (inc. friendlies)
Netherlands, our record since 1988 is P10 W1 D6 L3 (inc. friendlies)

I could go on but I'm out of time...

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And we have never beaten one of the top countries in the knock out stage of Euros/WC outside of England.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Possibly Germany? Possibly? This is the team that beat us 4-1 less than two years ago
To be fair, it should have been 2-2 at the break, and would have been a different game. Germany were the best counter attacking team in the tournament.

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
Interesting stats seagull when you put it like that we look terrible! Still though, i believe we have enough to win it! especially wen you think of teams that have won it over the years! You never know what can happen, and the fact that the whole country is expecting absolutely nothing, that might just stand in out favour! And Rooney has to go!!!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
So 25% of the time you don't have to be the best team. Sounds like we have a chance to me.

Realistically, how many teams in the tournament would beat us more often than we would beat them if we played them ten times?

Spain
Netherlands
Possibly Germany

Not sure there is anyone else who would, I think it would be fairly even between us an Italy / France / Portugal.

So we do have a chance.

Still cant see it happening though.

I think Germany would beat us 9 times out of 10. I think they might win the whole tournament, their team is immense. As for Italy, France and Portugal I reckon they would beat us at least 7 times out of 10.

I'm not even sure that in a major tournament (and that's the key context) we would beat teams like Russia, Sweden and Croatia more times than they would beat us.

Agreed - we do have a chance, but it's a small one.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Can't believe that the majority are against taking Rooney. Capello will have a squad that will contain 20 outfield players FFS! When you consider that only 15-16 of them will even kick a ball in the group games, then I think that we can more than accommodate our best attacker not being available until the knock out stage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here