Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sycamore Gap Tree

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
On a serious point, sick of this kind of mindless act repeatedly happening. No juvenile did this in 200 years before, this idiot needs to be made a special example of. Name shame and hopefully as a consequence their life will be f***ed. I couldn’t care less if it was, tired of so called “kids” causing so much harm and pain before they usually go on to cause much more as adults!!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Nice - got out and about a decent amount then. I'm in Rights of way and find myself increasingly keyboard bound...
Oh yes, Teams and laptop land….I’m out tomorrow in my new role … looking forward to it.

Our rights of way officer seemed to spend most of her time stuck behind a laptop too… how things have changed :(

Last edited:

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
I actually went there for the first time during Covid pandemic. UK holiday to Whitley Bay, stopped off on the way at Hadrian’s Wall. I saw that tree once in my life and I’m quite upset / annoyed, goodness knows what the locals think. It’s like someone bulldozing the Long Man of Wilmington or burning down the Brighton Pier. Utterly bizarre and senseless act of vandalism.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Farming and rural enterprise officer.

My remit was woodland creation, so (yes) I’m a little bit miffed.

The irony here is that you probably wouldn’t get permission to plant a replacement bang slap in the middle of a scheduled monument and right in the middle of wader (Curlew) territory… although if it were replaced I’d prefer a native Oak or even a Beech… sadly I think we’ll only be left with the memories and none of us will live to see a mature tree take root & flourish in the gap again 😭

I’m now working as a catchment advisor, planting trees along riparian corridors and restoring rivers to their natural state…

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This sort of thing is the exact reason whi aliens have not visited us. There is very little evidence of intelligent life on earth. Very sad and depressing

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Louis MacNeice

Dec 7, 2015
Yes I remember that they rowed across the Channel, landed on the beach and declared that they should leave immediately in order to get to Nottingham by nightfall. Presumably by Inter-City from FolFolkestone
I think it's even worse than that as I seem to remember the landing being filmed Cuckmere Haven way.

It was a while ago so I could be wrong.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
What 16 year old heads to the middle of nowhere with, presumably, a chainsaw to destroy an incredible, well-known landmark?

I was lucky to visit the tree when walking along the Hadrian's Wall a few years ago with my children, but to see it in the news after felling makes me upset and disgusted by the sheer mindlessness of the young individual :angry:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
On a serious point, sick of this kind of mindless act repeatedly happening. No juvenile did this in 200 years before, this idiot needs to be made a special example of. Name shame and hopefully as a consequence their life will be f***ed. I couldn’t care less if it was, tired of so called “kids” causing so much harm and pain before they usually go on to cause much more as adults!!
They want the fame, he'll be a millionaire on socials in no time.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Apparently the kid had been struggling with their mental health and this was a cry for help from them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here