Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sycamore Gap Tree

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Famous tree, featured in films (Robin Hood) and generally just very well-known and loved, and some twat has cut it down overnight.

What is wrong with some people?!
No!! Never been to the spot but I know exactly the one you’re talking about and it’s rightly famous. So many people adding nothing to this world but misery and destruction. I mean, I know it’s only a tree but you can be sure it contributed more to this world than the human that destroyed it! And to what purpose?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is sad.

I do wonder at the press release put out though - saying that there is 'reason to believe it was deliberately felled'.

It would be hard to 'accidentally' take a chainsaw to a tree.

1695895408241.png

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Somehow this tree had passed me by. Seeing the image in the report of when it was standing it’s easy to see why it was much admired and loved by so many.

Utterly moronic to cut it down.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why would you do that? Seems the whole world is just turning feral.
It's just some ****. Not the whole world. I'm still nice. Lovely in fact.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
if it was one of the most photographed trees in the world then it would have had hoards of people going there. Its not a leap to think therefore that is is a disgruntled land owner/farmer weas annoyed that his sheep are disturbed/ gates left open/ litter etc.

I don't think Columbo will need to be called in on this one.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
if it was one of the most photographed trees in the world then it would have had hoards of people going there. Its not a leap to think therefore that is is a disgruntled land owner/farmer weas annoyed that his sheep are disturbed/ gates left open/ litter etc.

I don't think Columbo will need to be called in on this one.
I don't think so. This is in one of the most beautiful sections of Hadrians Wall. Sycamore gap was just one of many photo opportunities. I have a sneaking suspicion this is an act of revenge by some sad sap of a bloke, looking to get revenge on a woman who has slighted him and who was fond of the tree.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Yeah, while there’s always been idiots in the world, I’ve always consoled myself with the fact that they’re a minority.

I’m seeing so much in our politics, our culture and the general population that disturbs me, I’m wondering if the scales have tipped the other way.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

16-year-old male arrested.
16 so a youth, and it will only be a charge of criminal damage. :down:

I hope someone, somewhere can teach him the value of heritage. No doubt, he was caught through bragging to his mates (although that is purely supposition)
Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here