Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea v Sunderland

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Which even in our lowly football management skills we had discerned before even a ball had been kicked that day. He was a traitor to the club and his only ambition was to elevate Gustavo Poyet. And if I sound bitter it's because here was a guy given the opportunity to manage a great club with a wonderful stadium and support from TB..... and he got greedy and blew it!
I'm sorry for Black Cats they don't deserve another :tosser: but that's what they've got. On the upside I can't help thinking that now he must surely wish he'd kept his egotistic ambition in check, kept his mouth shut and not put himself about like a desperate prostitute. Well done Swansea :lolol:

Good post. You've hit the nail on the head. It's a great shame the way things turned out. Like, I would imagine, the vast majority of Brighton supporters, I was more than happy at the way the team was progressing under Poyet's management until the above happened and things turned sour. I have liked Sunderland ever since I saw them beat Leeds in the Cup Final many years ago. I stood with their fans, who were great. I feel sorry for the predicament they are in now. Whether Poyet can turn things around for them, I don't know, but I guess it won't be long before he does to them what he did to us and makes it only too obvious that he feels he is worthy of bigger and better things. I don't hate him but I have, sadly, lost all the respect for him I once had.

Last edited:

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I'm thankful for what Gus did here and long term I hope he has a successful career as a manager.

However, I hope he fails at Sunderland as he genuinely needs taking down a peg or two

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Erm EVERYONE seems to be forgetting this is pretty much how Gus started with us, before embarking on one of the best 3 year periods in our entire history.

Hilarious watching all the bedwetters on here, although also quite sad that so many are so immature and ungrateful, ironically displaying the characteristics most accuse Gus of being.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Erm EVERYONE seems to be forgetting this is pretty much how Gus started with us, before embarking on one of the best 3 year periods in our entire history.

Hilarious watching all the bedwetters on here, although also quite sad that so many are so immature and ungrateful, ironically displaying the characteristics most accuse Gus of being.

If anyone disagrees with you they are immature and ungrateful. Get off your high horse. He did well with us to start with but left us in the lurch and abandoned his job. I will not forgive him for leaving our club the way he did. I wish him no ill but no luck either and hope he fails miserably at Sunderland. If you cannot deal with that, go and cry in your room.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If anyone disagrees with you they are immature and ungrateful. Get off your high horse. He did well with us to start with but left us in the lurch and abandoned his job. I will not forgive him for leaving our club the way he did. I wish him no ill but no luck either and hope he fails miserably at Sunderland. If you cannot deal with that, go and cry in your room.

We have NO ****ING CLUE what happened between January and March last season. Aa lot of attitudes towards Gus who gave us an incredible 3 seasons are immature and ungrateful , nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with me. Just comes across as incredibly childish.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
We have NO ****ING CLUE what happened between January and March last season. Aa lot of attitudes towards Gus who gave us an incredible 3 seasons are immature and ungrateful , nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with me. Just comes across as incredibly childish.

We all saw what he said in interviews. Anyone could deduce what was going on. Do you seriously believe he was totally behind the club?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Which even in our lowly football management skills we had discerned before even a ball had been kicked that day. He was a traitor to the club and his only ambition was to elevate Gustavo Poyet. And if I sound bitter it's because here was a guy given the opportunity to manage a great club with a wonderful stadium and support from TB..... and he got greedy and blew it!
I'm sorry for Black Cats they don't deserve another :tosser: but that's what they've got. On the upside I can't help thinking that now he must surely wish he'd kept his egotistic ambition in check, kept his mouth shut and not put himself about like a desperate prostitute. Well done Swansea :lolol:

Agree with this. All thrown away by one man's almost psychotic impatience to reach the Premier League.

Wish him well, but glad he's not at our club now, and is someone else's problem.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

totally disagree. We heard what he did to bloom, we heard his commments about EPL jobs, us hitting the ceiling etc.

he had no loyalty and we gave him everything, he thinks he is much bigger than the club, and i hope time shows this is not the case.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And if Sunderland move to a brand new stadium, triple their crowds, invest 10 times more in the next 3 seasons than they did in total in the last 10, I have every confidence that Gus will give them one of the best 3 year periods in their history.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Sunderland apparently

According to those who were there it wasn't. it was Swansea fans; and I say that as one of the many who were disgusted at the sacking of Di Canio.
The way Paolo Di Canio was portrayed and perceived outside of The North-East is completely out of line with the truth. The media were determined to destroy him from the moment he got the job, and they succeeded. They also succeeded in making the country believe he was nothing but a wild-eyed madman who failed miserably. He isn't and he didn't; he was sacked after just 13 matches before he'd had a chance to do more than begin the massive task of rebuilding our wreck of a team. Rarely can a manager have been fired with so many of the supporters still fully behind him.
I'm fully behind Poyet but I think we've lost an even better manager in Paolo.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
According to those who were there it wasn't. it was Swansea fans; and I say that as one of the many who were disgusted at the sacking of Di Canio.
The way Paolo Di Canio was portrayed and perceived outside of The North-East is completely out of line with the truth. The media were determined to destroy him from the moment he got the job, and they succeeded. They also succeeded in making the country believe he was nothing but a wild-eyed madman who failed miserably. He isn't and he didn't; he was sacked after just 13 matches before he'd had a chance to do more than begin the massive task of rebuilding our wreck of a team. Rarely can a manager have been fired with so many of the supporters still fully behind him.
I'm fully behind Poyet but I think we've lost an even better manager in Paolo.

Fair enough. I could have sworn they reported it as the sunderland fans on the BBC but I could be wrong.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
i wonder why he picked bardsley in his first game.

Whatever the reason he could hardly have made a more misguided decision. Bardsley is loathed by the overwhelming majority of Sunderland supporters and should never have been allowed anywhere near the first team again. I suspect Kevin Ball might have suggested Bardsley's return, and if so Poyet will surely be wary of Ball's next bit of advice.
Poyet must act quickly to rid the club of some of the poisonous elements who've seen off more than one manager before him. Bardsley, Gardner, Larsson and O'Shea are four for starters who should never play for Sunderland again. If we have to pay up their contracts in full or pay their entire wages while they go on loan to a Championship club, then do it. But hope B&HA aren't tempted to bring any of them in.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

Leaving the do I/don't I want Poyet to succeed to one side, I disagree with the first part of this post. We were just inside the relegation zone of League 1(2009/10) with players like Murray, Forster, Bennett etc, who were far better than most players in this particular division. Sunderland haven't got the players to turn this around. Especially in the Premier League where you are up against Chelsea one week and Man City the next. They're rock bottom. If Poyet does somehow pull it off then :bowdown:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Erm EVERYONE seems to be forgetting this is pretty much how Gus started with us,

apart from his first game with Brighton being a 3-1 away win to an in form Southampton, the parallels are uncanny.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A couple of weeks ago I received a misdirected text from a Sunderland fan to his mate excited at the thought that they might get Poyet in, today I have just received another one saying "The club were wrong to sack Di Canio bring him back Poyet has no idea. How fickle are football fans.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whatever the reason he could hardly have made a more misguided decision. Bardsley is loathed by the overwhelming majority of Sunderland supporters and should never have been allowed anywhere near the first team again.

You'll soon find out that Poyet doesn't really give a shit what the fans think. He'll probably threaten to go home or to a golf course when you make your feelings felt from the stands too. You'll have get your head around the fact that you are now part of the Gus Poyet Project, you are also a stepping stone...if he can get you winning again.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poyet's acid test will come next season. Sunderland are going down and Poyet does not have the experience to save them. He will bang the drum about the players he inherited etc etc. But next year starting in the championship(if he hasn't walked or been sacked) he will have the prem payments, the fan base, the stadium and a start from scratch. Then we will all see what he is all about, or if he really just did an average job here with all the tools he had at his disposal.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Didn't realize that was actually there biggest defeat of the season, against a mid table side. Clearly done something in his first fortnight on the training ground. Interesting first team selection as well I thought...Very Poyet indeed.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The way things are going for us at the moment, we might not even be meeting Gus in the Championship next season (if they go down) lol

If we do meet Sunderland next season though, it will be an interesting mixed reaction judging by the comments on here, Im not sure how I will react, maybe an expressionless subdued slow clap haha

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here