Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea created the blue print for a passing championship side

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
The divisions best hold up player (Danny Graham) and forward (Scott Sinclair). Nobody else even came close to them when they were on form. Their style of football wasn't the main reason they went up, it was the quality of their squad. Their midfield was tough and hard to break down, but they also chipped in with a lot of goals (Darren Pratley in particular).

he wasn't at Swansea when they were in the Championship

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
And you got to realise, when you do go up you will replace the players who aren't good enough and fill the gaps with La Liga talent (Gus' contacts) and the system will become 50% better again.

Dec 29, 2011
Nope and I think that is the biggest difference between our sides in the Championship (we changed again), he used Dyer and Sinclair to hug the touch line so we always had huge width and a pressure reliever for the defence. Dobbie played behind the striker for us. If you had someone like a Tom Ince on one wing and Buckley the other, I think you could replicate us in our third season.

In our second season we were extremely defensive and only scored 40 goals the entire season.

Have you ever seen Lualua play? He's explosive and very pacey, likes to play on the touchline and get balls in the box. Sounds like the person we need on the left.

Out of interest what set-up did you have in your 2nd or third year in the Championship? Was it a 4-3-3 similar to ours? How did Dobbie fit in to the 4-3-3 style?

I like Bridcutt, but he's not as good as Joe Allen.

Can't compare the two, they do different jobs.

Out of interest what set-up did you have in your 2nd or third year in the Championship? Was it a 4-3-3 similar to ours? How did Dobbie fit in to the 4-3-3 style?

Swansea were quite fortunate to stumble on a winning combination in the second half of our promotion season. Dobbie was a bit part player until Brendan Rogers decided to play him as an attacking midfielder with the excellent Fabio Borini ahead of him.

Dobbie is very much a confidence player who carries momentum from a good goal or decent performance into the next game. We wouldn't have got anywhere near the premier league without him and his key performances, particularly in the play-offs. Unfortunately, when sitting on the bench I think his confidence takes a knock and he probably tries too hard when he comes on the field - invariably f***ing things up in the process.

It's no good playing him as a lone striker as heading the ball and holding up play are not in his game.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Good thread this as it's got a couple of decent Swansea posters giving excellent feedback.

I'm a bit surprised no one has given the really simple answer of 'Scott Sinclair' yet. Of course one player doesn't make a team and the answer really isn't that simple, but in that promotion season he was phenomenal, as his goal tally suggests. I'd be curious to know if anyone has a figure for his assists as well?

Patience has to be the best answer we're seeking here though. Trust in Gus!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think the main difference is speed. Albion are often ponderous and other teams are happy for us to knock it around at the back and our forward players must be so frustrated waiting for the ball or waiting to make their moves.

When we pass quickly, and we can do it, we look devastating. Sadly most of the slow stuff comes from Greer who appears to be having an awful run (or should that be walk?)

Dec 29, 2011
Swansea were quite fortunate to stumble on a winning combination in the second half of our promotion season. Dobbie was a bit part player until Brendan Rogers decided to play him as an attacking midfielder with the excellent Fabio Borini ahead of him.

Dobbie is very much a confidence player who carries momentum from a good goal or decent performance into the next game. We wouldn't have got anywhere near the premier league without him and his key performances, particularly in the play-offs. Unfortunately, when sitting on the bench I think his confidence takes a knock and he probably tries too hard when he comes on the field - invariably f***ing things up in the process.

It's no good playing him as a lone striker as heading the ball and holding up play are not in his game.

Do you watch the Albion play at all? The description you gave of Dobbie (bench player, comes on tries too hard) is spot on. I was wondering if that's your prediction or you have actually seen him play recently.

I've not seen Brighton play since Dobbie has transferred, but always keep a close eye on match reports.

Dobbie was at a similar point in his career in Swansea. He then had a run of games due to formation changes / injuries / suspensions and then it suddenly clicked for him. Hopefully it'll happen again for The Albion

Last edited:

Forkbeard

Aug 30, 2012
If you can do the same and wait another season then you'll do the same as us. It took us 3 seasons, you're in your second now.

Not quite the full story there Bri. It did indeed take us three seasons. It also took us three managers.

Martinez introduced the passing football, but we were too weak defensively to mount a serious challenge in his first season. Sousa then came in and made us very, very tough to beat at the cost of sacrificing almost all attacking flair, and again we came up short. Rodgers managed to combine the two styles. More on the defensive end, but with the added bonus of Sinclair scoring as many goals as he did.

Without seeing more of you play it's tough to say what the differences are between you and us as we were, although I'd strongly recommend playing Dobbie in the "Number Ten" role and just letting him get on with it, and ignoring Orlandi completely.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nope and I think that is the biggest difference between our sides in the Championship (we changed again), he used Dyer and Sinclair to hug the touch line so we always had huge width and a pressure reliever for the defence. Dobbie played behind the striker for us. If you had someone like a Tom Ince on one wing and Buckley the other, I think you could replicate us in our third season.

In our second season we were extremely defensive and only scored 40 goals the entire season.

That was under Paulo Sousa wasn't it? The defence was pretty strong but few goals scored. Dobbie behind Mackail-Smith with LuaLua (or someone better and naturally left footed, perhaps even Orlandi) and Buckley on either side with Hammond and Bridcutt in the centre would be the formula. But NOOOOOOO. Frustrating, it seems so obvious. The defence is fine, Bridcutt and Hammond would be naturally suited to that role, but Gus just can't bring himself to attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here