Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Uni Students against Falmer - Now confirmed.

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
i was at that ugm there were about five people by the end of it. and i argued so hard in our favour. apparently we will go on their campus coz they have cheap beer. it has to go to their council before it can be approved.
i had an interview at brighton uni last wednesday the women i spoke was really in favour.
i have told u before that dan glass is an enviromentaly freak but does it concern anyone that he is also running for president of the whole nus next year

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
How about they get rid of the uni's if they want an area of outstanding natural beauty? These students must take a degree that doesnt require use of the brain such as Drama :thud:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
BensGrandad said:
The general public outside of students and possibly their families dont.

The club will want to sell tickets to them when the ground is built

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
What about the university TEACHERS? Are they on board the Falmer bandwagon? After all, the students might be gone in a couple of years but the teachers and professors will still be there and will be taking advantage of the educational aspects of the new stadium?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
after a vote consisting of just 40 people.

Mr Glass said: "We've been wanting to get this off the ground for years but there hasn't really been the interest.
And there is now? :dunce:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Barrel of Fun said:
Students at the University of Sussex are set to fight Albion's plans for a new football stadium at Falmer after a vote consisting of just 40 people.

"We also have concerns about the increase in traffic and disruption to student life on campus. We are not against the club having a stadium but it needs to be in the right place."

Mr Glass admitted the union had failed to drum up enough support for the motion in the past. He said: "We've been wanting to get this off the ground for years but there hasn't really been the interest.

"http://www.theargus.co.uk/display.var.1273092.0.students_to_fight_albions_falmer_plan.php[/url]

Comments can be left on the Argus site...

All 40 of them...:angry:

"disruption to student life on campus".. having studied at Sussex Uni, I can state that student life on campus largely consists of drinking heavily and sleeping it off...oh and eating veggie sosmix.

Downloaded Penguin said:
What about the university TEACHERS? Are they on board the Falmer bandwagon? After all, the students might be gone in a couple of years but the teachers and professors will still be there and will be taking advantage of the educational aspects of the new stadium?

My Father was a lecturer at University of Sussex. He would most certainly approve of The Stadium location, MOST ESPECIALLY there! The opportunity for students FAR outweighs the 'green aspects'!
A field on the outside edge of our City does represent natural beauty, but in order for the overall health of Brightonians to prosper, learn, and appreciate the countryside in the first place - they should combine psysical and mental health with that.
WHAT BETTER for the Uni AND the City of Brighton and Hove, than to have a prime sport facility for entertainment, and the studies of health and human physiology and biology.

The Americans are running STREETS ahead of us in these departments now at Harvard and Stanford - while we lag behind with tired and age-old attitudes.

All these books are published in America; http://www.physiology.org/

Do any of these (apparently quaintly luddite) British students think the Americans get their knowledge without reference to sports?

Well here's a CLUE;- AMERICAN UNIVERSITIES HAVE STADIUMS ON THEIR CAMPUSES THAT ARE OFTEN SUPERIOR TO OUR PROFESSIONAL SPORTS FACILITIES!!

Like they say in the States - "GET WITH THE PROGRAM" and "GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER" !

It's this sort of small thinking that will keep our country down, the brains leaving, and continuing insignificance on the internation front.

sad.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hi folks! Haven't been on NSC for years :wave: , but this has really got my goat so I thought I come on here now... Everyone send emails to this plonker, please, but keep them constructive, explaining the benefits of the stadium and the lack of alternative sites.... No-one here has pointed out that instead of arable monoculture there will be more woodland, presumably with bat and bird boxes; vastly improving the biodiversity of the area.

Notters

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My email:

Dear committee,

This morning I was dismayed when I walked past a newsagent with a billboard displaying "students vote to oppose Falmer Stadium" and I felt compelled to contact you. Unfortunately I am no longer a student, but I live with three (two at Sussex, and one at Brighton), all of whom are strongly in favour of the proposed Community Stadium. Having attended both of the public enquiries relating to the stadium, and carried out a study as part of my degree, feel that I am in a reasonable position to comment.

Your key objection seems to be that the proposed stadium conflicts with the proactive movement of the University towards green issues, and the possible designation as an "eco-uni". Perhaps you are not aware that currently the site consists largely of herbicide, pesticide and insecticide-polluted monoculture, whereas when the stadium is constructed, the associated tree planting with the provision of bird and bat-boxes will vastly improve the biodiversity of the area.

There will be wide-ranging economic and social visits for both Sussex and Brighton Universities. When I studied at Nottingham University, varsity football matches were held at the City Ground (home of Nottingham Forest) and attracted crowds of up to 10,000; wouldn’t it be fantastic if the Brighton and Sussex teams could play each other at Falmer? Brighton and Hove Albion will only be playing around 30 matches a season at Falmer, coinciding with quiet times at the Universities. Most of the time, Stadium facilities will be available for the use of students. There seems to be a great fear that a hoard of football hooligans are going to come and vandalise your Campus, but as presently at Withdean, the Club will work closely with the University in order to minimise any negative impact. Many residents in Withdean have actually been pleasantly surprised work that has been done in the area, for example fans voluntarily litter-pick after games and there is now less rubbish around than there was before the club moved in. Most fans travel to Withdean by sustainable means and this will have to be the same at Falmer, in accordance with the government’s contemporary planning legislation. The Falmer is ideally suited to this, with the proximity of the railway station.

Both Brighton and Hove Albion and Sussex University are fundamental to the vitality and vibrancy of our beautiful City. They both attract people from across the country to invest in the local area. Fans visiting the City will provide business for the hotels, restaurants and bars in the winter (during the football season) when otherwise they would generally be quiet, thus helping to make seasonal jobs permanent.

I find it very concerning that around 0.3% of your student should be able to make a decision on such an important issue. Fortunately, the planning process has already run its course and your actions will hopefully not affect this vital project. The two public inquiries can be summarised quite concisely:

1st: Falmer is not an ideal site for a stadium, but Brighton (with a conurbation population of around 480,000 people) is one of the largest cities in the developed world without a decent stadium, and it needs one.

2nd: A study into the possibility of other sites. 26 sites looked at, Falmer is the only workable one, therefore the Stadium must be built at Falmer.

You may not be aware that this month the Albion received the Community Club of the year award from the Football League, for their role in helping thousands of Sussex residents with literacy, numercy and IT skills. I hope you can reconsider you viewpoint, considering all the evidence. I believe the Community Stadium in Falmer is vital for the whole of the community.

Guess I'd better get back to work...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Heres mine.

Dear Student

Delighted as I am to see that unrealistic, flawed and self serving non politics are still the order of the day on campus I would like to point out the following:

No on listens to students.

That is all.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Dear Students.

Instead of getting involved in stuff that in three years time you will have moved away and have no interest in....get on with your studies you sponging twats.

Yours truly

Buzzer said:
and if they're so environmentally friendly why don't any of the students ever seem to recycle their crap? Just leave it out for the seagulls to get at all the microwave food crap they all eat. :angry:

Oh yeah I forgot that part, lets leave out our bin bags about 2-3 days before the dustmen come, so that the Herring Gulls and Foxes can pick and peck at the bags leaving rubbish strewn all over the street.
Oh and don't forget, don't bother to clean the mess up and leave it for the street cleaners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here