Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Uni Students against Falmer - Now confirmed.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
reuters said:
i spoke to dan glass as well he wants to hold a debate with the club to argue out the finer points and put forward their argument with the students preseent to get their opinion and so the union can put forward a truely representative view of the student opinions . said to me that he had been miss quoted to as he said that they tried to make it clear that this was not policy of the union as the ugm did not have enough people there to pass it offically (only 15) and it wont go to council until may.
i think that we should go up there and have this debate it would be away of getting our ideas across and putting an end to this student bashing and football fan bashing from students .
dan is looking at a date.

from what he said to me it wasn't death threats but just threatening emails which is rediculas and should never happen.

the unfriendly comments on the argus page are not helping and it needs to get sorted.

so what do nscers think of a debate up at sussex?

Why on earth would he want a debate with the club? There has been referendums. council votes, two public inquiries, applications for High court judicial reviews and Calderbank arguments in court to get a new decision from a government minister.
Why should the club waste their time with a two bob nobody at a Uni taking a year out to be a NUS rep?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Yorkie said:
Why on earth would he want a debate with the club? There has been referendums. council votes, two public inquiries, applications for High court judicial reviews and Calderbank arguments in court to get a new decision from a government minister.
Why should the club waste their time with a two bob nobody at a Uni taking a year out to be a NUS rep?

He wants a debate with the club so that he can thrash out the franchising rights at the new stadium. Him and his spotty mates are busy in their rooms right now practising their spiel.

"Can I supersize that?"

And if you are talking about your knob, Glass, the answer is quite plainly "NO"

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
he wants both sides of the argument. i know that they should butt out and this is way over due but if the union is going to out forward this motion then the students should know both side of the argument not just the enviromental crap that dan is coming out with.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
reuters said:
he wants both sides of the argument. i know that they should butt out and this is way over due but if the union is going to out forward this motion then the students should know both side of the argument not just the enviromental crap that dan is coming out with.
Tell him to look at all the documents etc that are already in the public domain. Tell him to look at the enviromnental studies, the feasability studies, the presentations, the reports, the council minutes, the votes, the referendums, the campaigns, the marchs, etc, etc, etc. It's a lot because it covers TEN YEARS. I don't want the club or fans wasting one iota of effort debating with someone who is plainly ignorant of the facts. He's a student isn't he? Let him do some research. And tell him because of the strength of feeling he's bloody lucky that all he's had are threats of violence.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
reuters said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with Sussex University students whatsoever to put forward any motion. It's not even the same side of the road as them.

Jul 14, 2003
BN2
A debate's a good idea. Until Falmer happens, there're always going to be students with a view. They're not going to read all of the material in the public domain, and a debate's the quickest way to get real facts to the students, even if it has to happen on an annual basis. (How much longer can this go on?)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Le Premier Cru said:
A debate's a good idea. Until Falmer happens, there're always going to be students with a view. They're not going to read all of the material in the public domain, and a debate's the quickest way to get real facts to the students, even if it has to happen on an annual basis. (How much longer can this go on?)

There have been debates before - including one that Paul Samrah and I won against Keith Taylor (Brighton and Hove Green Party Councillor) and Tom Carr (now deceased for FPC).

The issue is though to have a debate you need a motion and Dan Glass I'm afraid is unlikely to know what that motion should be in balanced terms. His view is totally fanatical eco enviro friendly and he has already shown his naivety in the way he has set out the details to the Argus (exaggerating numbers of attendees etc.). The argus article explains that it must go to another meeting in May so they did cover that point.

But at the end of the day if they need 500 people to sort policy then any debate could be just a time wasting exercise as no decision will ever be reached that is binding on the USSU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here