Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superb Cyclist v Land Rover road rage

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Ignoring the pros and cons of cycle lanes, etc... WTF is the driver complaining about? What is the cyclist supposed to have done?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ignoring the pros and cons of cycle lanes, etc... WTF is the driver complaining about? What is the cyclist supposed to have done?
The driver was in the wrong, but the cyclist was an annoying twit, switching multiple times between 'please don't touch me' and 'come on then'.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The driver was in the wrong, but the cyclist was an annoying twit, switching multiple times between 'please don't touch me' and 'come on then'.

Yes, but what started it?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, but what started it?
Not sure if you're being serious. It was started by the driver getting close to the cyclist when overtaking, and then blocking the cyclist, as there wasn't room to overtake in the first place.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Not sure if you're being serious. It was started by the driver getting close to the cyclist when overtaking, and then blocking the cyclist, as there wasn't room to overtake in the first place.

Seriously, the cyclist says "hey, come on", and that's all it takes? Surely there's some previous?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
i hope the driver got in trouble? Cycle lanes are not compulsory and i use them with the kids but when on my road bike don't use them as they usually have too many kerbs

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Worthing has the most cycle lanes of any place I know although they are called pavements as well.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously, the cyclist says "hey, come on", and that's all it takes? Surely there's some previous?
It's pretty clear there's no previous, as they're all cycling along with no cars, then one car passes, and then immediately the Land Rover, which overtakes across the mini roundabout, with no space in front to go, and then pulls in a bit, squeezing the cyclist. I think the reason it only takes 'hey, come on' is that the driver is already annoyed that all the cyclists are on his road, as there's a cycle lane.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Anyway, I think this one takes the biscuit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is the right answer.
2 examples:-

1 - There's a designated cycle path from Havant to Gun Wharf Quay. That's maybe 10 miles.
On the front at Southsea you have the beach, the promenade, then a low wall, a 2 lane cycle road, intermittent concrete bollards, then the road.

2 - Between Clymping and Littlehampton there's a designated wide cycle and pedestrian path, for a mile.
At the river bridge BOTH paths stop, all tarmac stops, there isn't any form of pathway, pedestrian bridge or underpass.
It's the very definition of 'road to nowhere'.

Naturally drivers are frustrated at cyclists not using the path, I would be too.
But it's impossible to use as at the end you have to join fast flowing traffic, 100 yards from a major roundabout.

so we should do away with them unless they are done properly? if this came from the cycling fraternity (a minority of which whine on about needing them) then it might be taken seriously. better to spend the money a few bits of cycle lane around dangerous or busy areas than miles of substandard efforts that go unused.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I do enjoy watching that tw@ headbutting the pavement.

Anyone know the outcome, was the guy prosecuted?

I counted:

- Assault
- Threat to kill
- No seatbelt
- Threatening behavior
- Driving without due care and attention

I'm a driver, pedestrian, cyclist, public transport user and try and get along with all road users. Normally the best way to do that is to defer to the more vulnerable. So, if on a shared cycle/pedestrian path, give way to pedestrians. If driving, give cyclists room. If cycling, don't jump the lights.

I was in Copenhagen last year and it works brilliantly because everyone follows the rules. Taxi drivers give way to cycle lanes on their inside when turning right. Cyclists stop and cross on a signal rather than turning left in the middle of the road. It's not hard.

Here, people's egos get in the way too much.

Just saying.

PG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
so we should do away with them unless they are done properly? if this came from the cycling fraternity (a minority of which whine on about needing them) then it might be taken seriously. better to spend the money a few bits of cycle lane around dangerous or busy areas than miles of substandard efforts that go unused.
Definitely.

My first example, Havant to GWQ is the very best it can be.
There's a bit of scrub land at the top of the M275 that's filled with cars everyday.
Portsmouth commuters drive to there, park, then ride into the city.
Exactly how it should be.

I ought to be writing about that route as if it were from Chichester to Portsmouth, but I'm not.
The A259 from Chi has a white lined sectioned off area with different coloured tarmac, for cyclists.

But what actually happened was red tarmac was just laid directly on top of the original road.
Neither of us know anything about road building, but even we know that's not going to 'stick'.
The fellas laying it must have thought they were given a 'Forth Bridge' job to do.

Sure enough that entire 10-15 mile section is now impossible to ride, forcing the cyclists onto the now narrower roads!

Do it once, do it properly, or don't to it at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here