Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland BAN coins and STEAL away supporters money!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
So Saturday we had 8 of us with differing levels of of competence when it comes information technology. So its not easily solved and it definitely not easier than bunging someone a crisp note.
No it's not easier but not insurmountable surely. Not sure of your ages but I am 66 and happy to use technology and yes I always liked my cash and physical ticket but the world has moved on.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No it's not easier but not insurmountable surely. Not sure of your ages but I am 66 and happy to use technology and yes I always liked my cash and physical ticket but the world has moved on.
No it's not insurmountable but why would you go out of your way to make your life more difficult when you don't have to?

Cash is slowly becoming obsolete but it's far from gone yet especially as someone mentioned on this thread if you work in the trades which includes a couple of our group.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Dinosaurs never had cash - it wasn't invented for thousands of years after they died out - probably about the same time as sneering and snobbery were invented........
How do you know?
What would remain of a cash based society after 65+million years?
For all we know the birds watch us playing football and think "pah, as if football was invented in the 19th century."
The only thing we know for sure is that the T-Rex didn't play cricket.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
No it's not insurmountable but why would you go out of your way to make your life more difficult when you don't have to?

Cash is slowly becoming obsolete but it's far from gone yet especially as someone mentioned on this thread if you work in the trades which includes a couple of our group.
Just wondering. What advantage is there in using cash in the trades? Other than the obvious colluding to avoid paying tax I mean. Is it because related services like skips prefer cash on delivery/collection maybe?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Just wondering. What advantage is there in using cash in the trades? Other than the obvious colluding to avoid paying tax I mean. Is it because related services like skips prefer cash on delivery/collection maybe?
I'm not a tradesman so couldn't possibly comment.....But I think you've probably answered your own question there.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Dinosaurs never had cash - it wasn't invented for thousands of years after they died out - probably about the same time as sneering and snobbery were invented........
Always makes me laugh when people say this, as if having all your transactions stored and available to view is a good thing. Many people rely on cash.

Cash will always be king.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Always makes me laugh when people say this, as if having all your transactions stored and available to view is a good thing. Many people rely on cash.

Cash is complete anathema for those of us i) under the age of about 50, who ii) are not trades.*

* and, I suppose, iii) aren't on the bugle...

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
ridiculous but we already have the metal detectors so it could presumably be easily deployed. It would most certainly feel like steeling money. Ok its coins not notes so you can still carry notes in your wallet which for me is only sensible as its only the Amex that insist on being cashless. My journey to and from my involve cash payments and i need coins for car parks and vending machines and many other reasons that notes cannot provide. So what do we do with our coins in change hand them over? exchange them for an IOU, put them into a charity pot of our choosing? The latter I suggest it the very least to expect. I'm a cash person, I hate the cashless approach but this just seems OTT as others have said there is CCTV and stewards and ppl to catch the coin throwers. I could understand it if as a steward I spot a fan with collections of say small coins as if about to go to the bank - yeah that looks like a collection of missiles but odd coins in change, what pocket doesn't have these?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Could you please tell that to my country as I like cash but it is borderline useless here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Lots of people.

Our typical match day involves a taxi to the pub paid for by cash. Whip in the pub paid for by cash. Taxi to the ground paid for by cash. Taxi home paid for by cash.

In fact the only time cash isn't used is at the ground because we've got no choice now.
What sort of pub do you go to?? And for what?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

The simple answer is because some idiots use coins to throw at other fans so they have been identified as a potential offensive weapon in the context of football grounds and the trend is increasing and not just at Sunderland. Personally seems to me to be more logical than taking bottle tops away.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Cash is complete anathema for those of us i) under the age of about 50, who ii) are not trades.
Out of interest, if I was under 50 and asked a mate to get me a butty at dinnertime because he was going out and I wasn't, how would I recompense him in a way that is neither more expensive nor less convenient than bunging him a couple of quid?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Cash is complete anathema for those of us i) under the age of about 50, who ii) are not trades.*

* and, I suppose, iii) aren't on the bugle...
I am 55 and try to avoid cash as much as possible. And don't get me started on those stupid modern notes that simply won't fold up. I hate them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here