Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sunak and his Spring statement.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Do you not think that this is a strange comment coming from someone who has multiple buy-to-let properties, which sure helps to exacerbate the shortage of houses?

I realise I'm open to criticism BUT how on earth does having rental homes exacerbate a shortage of houses?

There is a very clear (and always will be) and healthy demand for rental accommodation, I don't apologise for providing this

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's the Guardian so it's hardly going to be glowing praise but this bit stood out:

The increase in the NICs threshold was welcomed by experts such as the Institute for Fiscal Studies’ Paul Johnson as a sensible simplification, as well as a tax cut, bringing national insurance in line with income tax.

Yet, as the OBR pointed out, these much-vaunted tax cuts only reverse one-sixth of the tax increases the Johnson government has announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eight-of-hand-hardship-ahead-spring-statement

they dont highlight what those tax rises come from. about half from Corporation Tax, and quarter from NI increase for social care, policies widely supported (well NI was until it happened). rest is fiscal drag, a popular ruse by chancellors not rising the allowance with inflation.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Issues put out are cost of the land and building costs

Re-use brown field sites that are seen investments and left empty

Re-use 'empty homes' which are left to rot and would be upgradeable for a lot less money (note they might not be fully energy efficient but its a start.

Make more kit 'houses' which will be a lot cheaper to build on site.

Finally , i would consider myself a supporter of the 'environment' but a loss of some extra 'green' land ( we are really talking small amounts) would help but might not be necessary if brown sites are used.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Re-use 'empty homes' which are left to rot and would be upgradeable for a lot less money (note they might not be fully energy efficient but its a start.

Finally , i would consider myself a supporter of the 'environment' but a loss of some extra 'green' land ( we are really talking small amounts) would help but might not be necessary if brown sites are used.

yep. housing really is one of the dumbest problems in this country, because the solutions are so easy and obvious. we just lack any political will from successive governments to take a strategic view and take action. 10% new building would produce over 2m properties for about 0.4% of the land, though there is insufficient action for reclaiming brownfield too. land tax is lothesome but might work here.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I realise I'm open to criticism BUT how on earth does having rental homes exacerbate a shortage of houses?

There is a very clear (and always will be) and healthy demand for rental accommodation, I don't apologise for providing this

25% of Tory funding is from landlords, so they are politically influenced to maintain a housing shortage and keep rents high for their donors. Not to mention all the NIMBYs in the Tory heartlands....

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Student housing which is empty for a third of the year. Holiday rentals, Air B&B etc. all housing removed from the market for people needing permanent homes.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

The demand for rental primarily exists because they can't afford to buy. Barely anyone renting over the age of 25 wants to be renting. They can't afford to buy because of the lack of supply to meet the demand. This is caused in part because of the stock being taken up by the already well off, buying up property, hiking the rents and giving people no choice but to rent.

You shouldn't apologise for providing for this demand. But a sensible government, not funded by landlords, shouldn't apologise for blowing this way of making money out of the water with punitive taxation.

Same goes for airbnb

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
25% of Tory funding is from landlords, so they are politically influenced to maintain a housing shortage and keep rents high for their donors. Not to mention all the NIMBYs in the Tory heartlands....

Quite probably but they've never had a penny from me!

Student housing which is empty for a third of the year. Holiday rentals, Air B&B etc. all housing removed from the market for people needing permanent homes.

All true but who among us haven't been a student in rented accommodation or taken a holiday let at some time or other?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The demand for rental primarily exists because they can't afford to buy. Barely anyone renting over the age of 25 wants to be renting. They can't afford to buy because of the lack of supply to meet the demand. This is caused in part because of the stock being taken up by the already well off, buying up property, hiking the rents and giving people no choice but to rent.

You shouldn't apologise for providing for this demand. But a sensible government, not funded by landlords, shouldn't apologise for blowing this way of making money out of the water with punitive taxation.

Same goes for airbnb

To be fair, the Conservative party have stripped away many of the benefits and incentives from the B2L sector. Something I agree with.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
sounds like the old 'no matter how bad things are under the Tories - it would be worse under Labour' mantra

Inflation through the roof, fuel prices through the roof, borrowing through the roof, cost of living through the roof even though the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. From the same people who gave you 10 years of unnecesary austerity

But yeah, they're doiing a great job otherwise ???

Not getting into an argument about it, it’s a poisoned chalice . I was just expressing an opinion and commenting on how Labour politicians seem to think they’d do a better job. They may do but it’s easy to snipe when you aren’t the ones running things and actually having to make a difference. No doubt it would be exactly the same from the Conservatives if Labour were in power. That’s all :shrug:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't know if I missed another thread but what were people's experiences of the fuel duty cut? I have watched the garage on my way to work to up 2p per day followed by 1p. Wednesday it was £1.66.9 for unleaded. Thursday after the duty cut? £1.67.9

Only one garage in my area went down the whole 5p. Needless to say, they got my business. Whilst I can't argue with the sentiment of the duty reduction, this always seemed likely.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't know if I missed another thread but what were people's experiences of the fuel duty cut? I have watched the garage on my way to work to up 2p per day followed by 1p. Wednesday it was £1.66.9 for unleaded. Thursday after the duty cut? £1.67.9

Only one garage in my area went down the whole 5p. Needless to say, they got my business. Whilst I can't argue with the sentiment of the duty reduction, this always seemed likely.

I’ve read reports of garages putting the price up in the morning and then reducing it after 6pm, as if the duty applied, but leaving the price as it was the day before.
Quite how true that is I’m not sure.

boik

Where I live, we had a questionnaire about potential sites for housing within the village that we could vote on. There we 20 odd sites. When the results were released, the top 3 sites were brownfield sites. When the list was published next for us to whittle it down, those brownfield sites had conveniently disappeared leaving only greenfield sites. Heard on the grapevine that developers all said they couldn't make enough on the brownfield sites due to clear up costs and other restrictions.

There should be lots of opportunities to redevelop in town centres due to shop and office closures, but developers seem to prefer greenfield sites and planners seem to give in to them too easily.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Where I live, we had a questionnaire about potential sites for housing within the village that we could vote on. There we 20 odd sites. When the results were released, the top 3 sites were brownfield sites. When the list was published next for us to whittle it down, those brownfield sites had conveniently disappeared leaving only greenfield sites. Heard on the grapevine that developers all said they couldn't make enough on the brownfield sites due to clear up costs and other restrictions.

There should be lots of opportunities to redevelop in town centres due to shop and office closures, but developers seem to prefer greenfield sites and planners seem to give in to them too easily.

Then serve them with compulsory purchase orders and build council houses on them.

mass private development needs to be stopped it does nothing good for the country or its people.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well one positive if the spring statement was learning the name of the shadow chancellor…not sure about the Ted Heath gag though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To compare and contrast here’s the German response to the fuel price increase.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-unveils-measures-to-tackle-high-energy-prices/a-61243572

“The German coalition government has agreed to a set of temporary measures to help people in Germany deal with the high energy costs that have been exacerbated by the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
The measures include a one-off energy tax-relief payment of €300 ($330), a three-month reduction in the tax on fuel and a three-month reduction in the cost of monthly tickets for public transport.”

The 9 euro monthly public transport ticket is what I have my eye on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here