Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sunak and his Spring statement.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
seems more interested in making soundbites, funny takes, than getting into details. which is a shame as she's quite well qualified from her background.

edit: the SNP lady is getting into those details much more.

The last of Corbyn's bitches.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about the eloquence/clarity of Scottish speakers - Dewar, Darling, John Smith, Blackford, John Reid.

Must be something about their old education system, they're great orators.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It's alright, once the economy recovers, all the brexit stuff is over and we're a stronger economy, the government will do some quantitative easing, increase inflation and reduce the debt (whilst making the poorer and those government employees worse off) This is how it's done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But is it right that only 12% of the land mass in this country is developed?

Driving up the A24 and over by Crawley as well, there’s been huge amounts of building, just a shame the first time buyers weren’t put into the equation.

It doesn't help when banks won't lend on mortgages by stating the repayments of £950 a month is too much for someone already paying £1000 a month rent.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria

Driving up the A24 and over by Crawley as well, there’s been huge amounts of building, just a shame the first time buyers weren’t put into the equation.

Only 1% of the UK’s land is used for homes and gardens.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

more like 8%, less depending on how you count things like parks and golf courses.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
seems more interested in making soundbites, funny takes, than getting into details. which is a shame as she's quite well qualified from her background.

edit: the SNP lady is getting into those details much more.

Gone are the days when being well qualified mattered when getting a job in politics.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Only 1% of the UK’s land is used for homes and gardens.

Therefore, to quote Bill Archer, do we not have the wherewithal to build homes that youngsters can buy at an affordable cost?

Apparently Worthing has one of the biggest gaps nationally between average wages and average house prices?

I would have thought Brighton and Hove would have been bigger?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I only caught bits of it whilst lawn cutting …heard NI threshold increased and income tax reduced …but nothing for pensioners that don’t pay (or pay very little) ..have I missed anything on that subject

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Therefore, to quote Bill Archer, do we not have the wherewithal to build homes that youngsters can buy at an affordable cost?

Apparently Worthing has one of the biggest gaps nationally between average wages and average house prices?

I would have thought Brighton and Hove would have been bigger?

There's still a bit of industry in Worthing area

Btn is just IT/service industry. big difference income wise.

As for Ritchy Ballsacks satatement with 5p off a litre . . . . . . . so tats 58p/litre duty, plus 20% VAT means he's still raking in as much more as he's he's offered back.

They don't serve us they serve themselves.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
have to say promise for 1p off income tax, when raising NI by similar, is pretty pointless exercise. the only substantial positive seems to be the deficit will be reduced, by virtue of not spending much if any of the excess revenues.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The statement didn't do what I wanted for the poor.

But (and I await the nsc avalanche) boy I hate the diction and speaking style of Rachel Reeve. It grates, it's a wall of noise, no pauses, completely overriding the message.

Shirley, Starmer has better alternatives? Labour has had a wealth of charismatic orators in the last 25 years.

I completely disagree. Johnson was backslapping Rishi like he'd won them the next election before Reeves poured cold water on this false bravado.

She delivered Labour's message whilst delivering some lovely lines: "The truth is Britain can't afford the Tories", " The Chancellor is just Ted Heath with an Instagram account" and her rather longer " Alice in Sunakland" piece.

Better than the awful John McDonnell and dull Annaliese Dodds.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I only caught bits of it whilst lawn cutting …heard NI threshold increased and income tax reduced …but nothing for pensioners that don’t pay (or pay very little) ..have I missed anything on that subject

The 1p off income tax is just a promise (remember how they promised to leave the Triple Lock?) for 2024 (just before the election) so not definite. The higher threshold for NI is up £3000.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Furlough was not cheap. Still staggering that a Tory government provided the level of support they did. I'd be surprised if even Corbyn had done what they did. Right thing for the economy and jobs but we will be paying for that for the next 30 years.

The level of furlough that a Conservative Govt. provided was simply staggering - and as you say the right thing to do for so many jobs and industries.

Shame so many Companies (and individuals) took the p**s and committed fraud - and got away with it - a shame too that the Govt. seems completely disinterested in attempting to get any of it back.

It will take a generation to pay back.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
have to say promise for 1p off income tax, when raising NI by similar, is pretty pointless exercise. the only substantial positive seems to be the deficit will be reduced, by virtue of not spending much if any of the excess revenues.

It's only a promise of 1p off income tax in two years time whereas NI is going up 1.5 now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Income tax cut not till 2024

The deficit will be reduced by high inflation yes, not the debt as Sunak falsely stated

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The level of furlough that a Conservative Govt. provided was simply staggering - and as you say the right thing to do for so many jobs and industries.

Shame so many Companies (and individuals) took the p**s and committed fraud - and got away with it - a shame too that the Govt. seems completely disinterested in attempting to get any of it back.

It will take a generation to pay back.

as i read somewhere, the problem is showing claims were fraudulent. the rules were so wide open that the majority of suspected false claims would be defendable if contested in court. and at best you'd fine the business, which could then close, so nothing recovered. the numbers are all guess work and projections anyway so who knows how much was genuine or false.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Income tax cut not till 2024

The deficit will be reduced by high inflation yes, not the debt as Sunak falsely stated

i think a point was made about the debt as % of GDP reducing, not the amount. the amount isnt going down for a decade.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here