Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sunak and his Spring statement.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I would suggest that anyone under 40 knows nothing else and these days of flexibility in the work place a mobile phone is all but a necessity.

So I think that sort of talk is a bit silly IMHO.

Or have I been whooshed :)

Yeah absolutely. There's always someone around to make those arguments, that the poor are poor not because of societal and economic pressures but because they bought an iPhone or a TV.

And they're always wrong.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yeah absolutely. There's always someone around to make those arguments, that the poor are poor not because of societal and economic pressures but because they bought an iPhone or a TV.

And they're always wrong.

You’re are course right, they are wrong, it’s 20 Sovereign and white lightning that these people waste their money on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Raising the income tax threshold seems on the face of it a tax break, however, the real Tory motivation is to spur the gig economy where the employer has more power over the employee, encouraging more people working part time and on zero hours contracts. The Tory donors would include big corporates who benefit from a low paid, expendable workforce, thats why they voted against outlawing Fire and rehire. Rishi Sunak's job is to ensure super wealthy billionaires like himself remain super wealthy while the super poor should just be grateful for a few crumbs that fall from the table

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
A bit like handing new affordables in Devon and Cornwall to genuine locals. A great idea.

Then eventually they sell to outsiders for a windfall. Needs to be some control.

On your second point, yes simply that, millions more new homes are needed.

Quite - I have not answer to our housing problem, it feels like the ship has sailed, we no longer see our homes as that, we same them as assets to grow. We use the word 'property' to mean home, it's been 40 years in the making but it's in our DNA now, sadly. My shoulders drop and I let out a metaphorical sigh every time I read a post like "My son/daughter/grandchild can't even afford to get on the property ladder, something needs to be done" etc....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know I’m in the minority here but I like Sunak. Just listening to him being interviewed by a woman who constantly interrupts him when he’s answering a question she just asked :shrug:

The guy is on a hiding to nothing given what is happening and what has happened over the last two years. Shame Labour aren’t in power, they seem to have all the answers

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's the Guardian so it's hardly going to be glowing praise but this bit stood out:

The increase in the NICs threshold was welcomed by experts such as the Institute for Fiscal Studies’ Paul Johnson as a sensible simplification, as well as a tax cut, bringing national insurance in line with income tax.

Yet, as the OBR pointed out, these much-vaunted tax cuts only reverse one-sixth of the tax increases the Johnson government has announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...eight-of-hand-hardship-ahead-spring-statement

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I know I’m in the minority here but I like Sunak. Just listening to him being interviewed by a woman who constantly interrupts him when he’s answering a question she just asked :shrug:

The guy is on a hiding to nothing given what is happening and what has happened over the last two years. Shame Labour aren’t in power, they seem to have all the answers

They’ll have you for this.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
have to say promise for 1p off income tax, when raising NI by similar, is pretty pointless exercise. the only substantial positive seems to be the deficit will be reduced, by virtue of not spending much if any of the excess revenues.
And increasing NI which only applies to employees and employers whilst promising to reduce Income tax which applies to all income - interest on investments, lanlord rents etc - seems regressive. Or have I missed something?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Quite - I have not answer to our housing problem, it feels like the ship has sailed, we no longer see our homes as that, we same them as assets to grow. We use the word 'property' to mean home, it's been 40 years in the making but it's in our DNA now, sadly. My shoulders drop and I let out a metaphorical sigh every time I read a post like "My son/daughter/grandchild can't even afford to get on the property ladder, something needs to be done" etc....

Do you not think that this is a strange comment coming from someone who has multiple buy-to-let properties, which sure helps to exacerbate the shortage of houses?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

sounds like the old 'no matter how bad things are under the Tories - it would be worse under Labour' mantra

Inflation through the roof, fuel prices through the roof, borrowing through the roof, cost of living through the roof even though the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. From the same people who gave you 10 years of unnecesary austerity

But yeah, they're doiing a great job otherwise ???

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Wonder what it would have been if:-

- the government hadn't wasted 10s of millions on dodgy PPE contracts

- the government hadn't allowed SEISS payments to be made to self-employed individuals whose businesses hadn't lost out through covid (tranches 1 & 2)

- the Treasury and HMRC had implemented safeguards against fraud in all the covid support schemes (estimated by the FT at around £15bn)

You are right. Furlough was not cheap. But it could have been markedly less expensive but for incompetent ministers and civil servants.

… and would also have been less expensive but for the shysters who committed fraud around the furlough scheme.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I’ve got nothing against Rishi Sunak as a person. Seems quite personable.

It’s his decisions, actions and values I would be dead set against. The cost of living crisis is well documented and he has done absolutely nothing to help the most vulnerable and those who are in most trouble. The CEO of Iceland yesterday was quoted as saying that people are turning down offers of potatoes and root vegetables from food banks because they cannot afford the fuel to cook them.

We have just been looking at our projected fuel costs for next year from our energy provider. They say our projected annual gas cost - this year £869.57 - next year will be £1560.72. That’s not far off double. Electricity is from £816.82 to £1124.51. We are lucky enough to be able to cope with that. Inflation is predicted to rise from the current however many years high of 6% to more than 9%, and Sunak does say the economy is in for a bumpy ride. But does he do anything to help those who need most help? No. What matters most is promising tax cuts in 2 years time.

I rest my case, m’lud.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
sounds like the old 'no matter how bad things are under the Tories - it would be worse under Labour' mantra

Inflation through the roof, fuel prices through the roof, borrowing through the roof, cost of living through the roof even though the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. From the same people who gave you 10 years of unnecesary austerity

But yeah, they're doiing a great job otherwise ???

Whatever occurs it will always be someone elses fault, they refuse to take responsibility for anything.

Whether you people agree with Tory ideology or not, what is becoming increasingly clear is the government have been corrupt and are actually just not very good at running the show. Many decent people have been kicked out and replaced by nodding dogs

If they were a FTSE100 company their level of governance lack of accountability they'd be smashed to pieces by investors

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here