Summer 2015 transfer window thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So you're calling it now. *Every* signing we make this summer. And we will make 7-8 signings, several of which will involve £m fees and astonishingly high wages... given TB, Hughton, Barber have all said they're spending this summer. *All* of them won't be decent players ?
Is that correct ?
To be fair, I don't think he's saying that at all. But when the club identifies a suitable player we want to get in, make a fairly sizeable money offer which the selling club accepts, offer the player at least average, or slightly above, Championship wages (and we have you as the ultimate authority on that!) and the player turns round and says, "No, I don't want to go to Brighton", that is a cause for concern.
I'm sure that as you say TB, PB and CH will be going hell for leather to make up for last summer's disaster, and they'll be doing everything right, including being willing to splash the cash - but if players are just turning round and saying, "Nah ...... not Brighton" ........ what then?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't you ever think that maybe we are not really that good at football matters at this club? We have been so fecking ineffective and head in the sand since Poyet left with the acquisition of players, whilst selling off anyone decent? I know I am a negative ******* but you seem to remain so positive despite the evidence being quite damning. I have seen absolutely nothing in the last two seasons to suggest that we are about to turn things around. Please don't quote the playoffs under Oscar, we got there in spite of the club's efforts rather than because of them.

No, I don't expect us to sign table topping players is the short answer...

I've no idea if Hughton can turn round this squad. its a tall order. i've also no idea if they will be play off contenders. Not many clubs do go from 20th to the top 6. (Palace went from 17th to Prem in one season so there you go).

But to suggest that the club won't be buying players this summer, won't be seeking to strengthen the squad, won't be paying incoming players 10s of thousands a week in line with the high wages we pay compared to most champ clubs, that they aren't competitive and almost certainly that several of em will cost millions in fees. As thats what players cost. And Bloom will be funding it. With millions of his own money.
Then you're in denial. It will happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, I don't think he's saying that at all. But when the club identifies a suitable player we want to get in, make a fairly sizeable money offer which the selling club accepts, offer the player at least average, or slightly above, Championship wages (and we have you as the ultimate authority on that!) and the player turns round and says, "No, I don't want to go to Brighton", that is a cause for concern.
I'm sure that as you say TB, PB and CH will be going hell for leather to make up for last summer's disaster, and they'll be doing everything right, including being willing to splash the cash - but if players are just turning round and saying, "Nah ...... not Brighton" ........ what then?

You then have to ask why? Lack of perceived ambition and motivational management would be my guess

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

that is just to dreadful to contemplate, at this moment in time the silence is really deafening

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
What else could happen ? We're going to start the season like Blackpool with a quad of 16 players ? , Bloom is lying ? Recruiting a striker doesn't involve a £m fee ? , we're going to be able to get players to come here without carrying on paying wages higher than most of the championship.

We might buy the wrong players. We might buy em too late. THey might be duffers. But they will be on expensive contracts. There will be 6-8 of em. and some will involve big fees. A couple might be on season long loans from the Prem. Like every other club in the league. except we spend more than most of em. What do you think will happen ?

Icy thinks they couldn't possibly be decent players. I'm sticking my neck out and hoping/praying/predicting a few of em just might be.

If Icy is basing his thoughts on the previous 3 or 4 transfer windows I'd suggest he's got good reason to be slightly downbeat.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've no idea if Hughton can turn round this squad. its a tall order. i've also no idea if they will be play off contenders. Not many clubs do go from 20th to the top 6. (Palace went from 17th to Prem in one season so there you go).

But to suggest that the club won't be buying players this summer, won't be seeking to strengthen the squad, won't be paying incoming players 10s of thousands a week in line with the high wages we pay compared to most champ clubs, that they aren't competitive and almost certainly that several of em will cost millions in fees. As thats what players cost. And Bloom will be funding it. With millions of his own money.

No, what I am saying is that I expect us to sign players who are not good enough to be in a team aiming to get promoted, because they will go to clubs that sell them the real possibility of promotion. I have no doubt Bloom will be telling us our squad is the most expensive in history come late August, I just don't expect them to be anything more than the journeymen we recruited last season. Spending lots of money doesn't mean that you are going to get it right.

Please please please let me be wrong and be gobbling humble pie in the next month or so.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting that we are not moving heaven and earth to get good players in, I just don't think the Albion is that attractive in comparison to other clubs who seem to have a real ambition to get out of this league, rather than looking for excuses as to why they can't compete, every time transfers are mentioned. It sends out a very dour message.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At the end of the day, Ali wasn't the only player we were signing.

His agent was playing us, we weren't dancing to his tune and set a deadline. I suspect he was never going to sign for us, but was using our interest for other deals.

Fair enough, we did the right thing all along, from being ambitious with targetting him, to not getting strung along by his agent's antics.

But we still have NUL signings, which is getting to be a problem the closer we get to pre-season starting.

So let's get Murphy signed ( and not see him go to Bristol City ), get a left back, get Seb Blanco on loan, sign Rasmussen or another striker, and get it done soon.

And of course sort out the other players we need.

Judging by recent posts you'd have thought that though wouldn't you ...makes me laugh some of the remarks..same old same old

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Icy isn't saying the won't be trying to buy better players, won't be seeking to strengthen the squad and won't be spending money, he's suggesting the club CAN'T do these things at present as we don't seem to be as big a draw as we were 2 years ago.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No, what I am saying is that I expect us to sign players who are not good enough to be in a team aiming to get promoted, because they will go to clubs that sell them the real possibility of promotion. I have no doubt Bloom will be telling us our squad is the most expensive in history come late August, I just don't expect them to be anything more than the journeymen we recruited last season. Spending lots of money doesn't mean that you are going to get it right.

Please please please let me be wrong and be gobbling humble pie in the next month or so.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well we are talking one player, and his agent well and truely played us. I don't think at this stage we can extrapolate this to our other deals. If Murphy goes to Bristol City then maybe we start to worry about a trend...

But we need to get some signings in soon.

Otherwise we'll be travelling to the mountain training camp in a taxi...

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Icy isn't saying the won't be trying to buy better players, won't be seeking to strengthen the squad and won't be spending money, he's suggesting the club CAN'T do these things at present as we don't seem to be as big a draw as we were 2 years ago.

Its interesting isn't it ....wasnt Coppell saying we would struggle to get players in to compete in the championship with us being at Withdean....we now have the Amex and the super duper training ground and the perception is we cant attract quality players

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If Icy is basing his thoughts on the previous 3 or 4 transfer windows I'd suggest he's got good reason to be slightly downbeat.

No argument that we finished 20th last season, and self evidently have a weaker squad than 2012/13 and 2013/14. We do. But conversely its also ridiculous to say *everything'*s gone wrong since May 13th 2013. It hasn't.

And i'm not writing off next season on the basis of a single player 's agent talking up his client . Can't trust an agent. Especially one who's so free and easy with quotes to the press as this one. Or concluding that the transfer window is a disaster on basis that we haven't made a signing in mid June and nobody decent will "come here". Or insisting that it must be because the club lack ambition (ie: we're tight with cash). As that would be both a) woefully premature or b) plain wrong.
PS: Icy , from what i can tell, was downbeat when we made the play offs in 2013/14 so he's a tough man to please :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well we are talking one player, and his agent well and truely played us. I don't think at this stage we can extrapolate this to our other deals. If Murphy goes to Bristol City then maybe we start to worry about a trend...

But we need to get some signings in soon.

Otherwise we'll be travelling to the mountain training camp in a taxi...
I presume you're talking about Grabban?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
N
PS: Icy , from what i can tell, was downbeat when we made the play offs in 2013/14 so he's a tough man to please :)

No I was mightily impressed with what Oscar did and enjoyed the season as it was a triumph over adversity. You misunderstand me, people keep dismissing last season as a one off after two play off seasons, I am just saying we got to the playoffs, under Oscar, without having a squad strong enough to expect to go all the way. When Oscar upped and walked it started the alarm bells in my head and it's all been downhill since then, obviously just IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports