Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer 2015 transfer window thread

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Or more accurately, since Poyet left.Oscar got us to the play offs with an average squad

Yes. We went downhill 2 places in the league in 2013/14 and then a further 14 in 2014/15. Oscar was a bloody disaster with his average squad of Ulloa, Upson, Ward, Lingard, Buckley, Kus and so on. Glad we got that season out of our system.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
No argument that we finished 20th last season, and self evidently have a weaker squad than 2012/13 and 2013/14. We do. But conversely its also ridiculous to say *everything'*s gone wrong since May 13th 2013. It hasn't.

And i'm not writing off next season on the basis of a single player 's agent talking up his client . Can't trust an agent. Especially one who's so free and easy with quotes to the press as this one. Or concluding that the transfer window is a disaster on basis that we haven't made a signing in mid June and nobody decent will "come here". Or insisting that it must be because the club lack ambition (ie: we're tight with cash). As that would be both a) woefully premature or b) plain wrong.
PS: Icy , from what i can tell, was downbeat when we made the play offs in 2013/14 so he's a tough man to please :)

Derby have signed 4 quality players already and it's not even July yet and that's what we need to do if we want to challenge this season or otherwise it will be another crap season like Last season

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Yes. We went downhill 2 places in the league in 2013/14 and then a further 14 in 2014/15. Oscar was a bloody disaster with his average squad of Ulloa, Upson, Ward, Lingard, Buckley, Kus and so on. Glad we got that season out of our system.

If we don't want a repeat of the shocking transfer window we had last season we need to start signing the quality players we need if we want to be anywhere near the top half of the table

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Pointless criticizing the club when [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] is about as he works for the club unofficially

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009

Are you suggesting that Gus' squad was improved upon when OG took over? Because all teams strive for improvement as opposed to standing still or making do. IMHO OG worked miracles getting that team to the playoffs. As it transpired we were miles away from being capable of getting promoted anyway - Derby underlined that.

Irrespective of what opinions you have over last summers transfer dealings it was an unmitigated disaster. We haven't had a productive transfer window since Gus left and I believe that that's because he was able to convince players to come here above other teams. He was a draw on his own. Do you think that CH has that pull? Do you think Brighton as a location possess that? Not sure I do.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Are you suggesting that Gus' squad was improved upon when OG took over? Because all teams strive for improvement as opposed to standing still or making do. IMHO OG worked miracles getting that team to the playoffs. As it transpired we were miles away from being capable of getting promoted anyway - Derby underlined that.

Irrespective of what opinions you have over last summers transfer dealings it was an unmitigated disaster. We haven't had a productive transfer window since Gus left and I believe that that's because he was able to convince players to come here above other teams. He was a draw on his own. Do you think that CH has that pull? Do you think Brighton as a location possess that? Not sure I do.

And perhaps not fully appreciated at the time

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Must admit i'm a little concerned we haven't signed anyone yet. Was hoping for couple of new faces by now ready for when the rest of the squad to report back for pre-season training.

I don't want a repeat of the opening home game against Wednesday where we had an appalling squad put out. That really set the tone for the rest of the season for me. August was a terrible month and the build up to it.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Whatever side of the agreement you are on, can we not agree that we need a minimum of 6 decent signings to enable us to compete in this league and with pre season being two weeks away I would suggest that 3/4 need to be in place before then with the rest bar the odd one before the season starts. That is some serious work needed. I, for one, remain to be convinced that the club are up to it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Whatever side of the agreement you are on, can we not agree that we need a minimum of 6 decent signings to enable us to compete in this league and with pre season being two weeks away I would suggest that 3/4 need to be in place before then with the rest bar the odd one before the season starts. That is some serious work needed. I, for one, remain to be convinced that the club are up to it.

this.....well said

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, 6 needed.

+1 to replace Dunk
+1 so we can send Walton on loan
+1 to enable COG to go back up North.

So much to get done, the sand is running quickly through the hourglass.
:nono:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

So under Oscar our squad improved and we played better football did we? NO. We still had the majority of the Poyet play off team but Bridge had already decided he was better off elsewhere, Bridcutt and Buckley's interest had disappeared and the football we played was awful, we scraped into the play offs and got utterly humiliated by Derby, let's not pretend it was a vintage season.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I wonder if the supporters of clubs in the PL have the same discussions. Can any team expect a top four other then Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool.
My point is that I am sure teams like QPR, Derby,Forest,Boro,Wolves,Burnley and Hull, some with Loads of money to spend and some with Parachute payments will offer a lot more money then us, then add in a few other clubs who see money as no object to getting players in. At some point a lot of you are going to have to accept that we are a mediocre club in the league and the only way we will get out of it, is to get players coming through the academy who we can sell on at huge profits and gradually build a team to compete at the top end of this league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I
I wonder if the supporters of clubs in the PL have the same discussions. Can any team expect a top four other then Chelsea, Man C, Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool.
My point is that I am sure teams like QPR, Derby,Forest,Boro,Wolves,Burnley and Hull, some with Loads of money to spend and some with Parachute payments will offer a lot more money then us, then add in a few other clubs who see money as no object to getting players in. At some point a lot of you are going to have to accept that we are a mediocre club in the league and the only way we will get out of it, is to get players coming through the academy who we can sell on at huge profits and gradually build a team to compete at the top end of this league.

Well said Mr Barber but please can you let Mr Bloom know this as I imagine he still thinks we are going to have a squad capable of challenging for the top six :wink:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I

Well said Mr Barber but please can you let Mr Bloom know this as I imagine he still thinks we are going to have a squad capable of challenging for the top six :wink:

Did we not hear something similar at the beginning of last season. What we need is a manager with vision and that is capable of getting half decent players in and making them decent players. The question this season, is Chris is the right man to take this club forward?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did we not hear something similar at the beginning of last season. What we need is a manager with vision and that is capable of getting half decent players in and making them decent players. The question this season, is Chris is the right man to take this club forward?

I'm going for "not that impressed so far" and the two managers we did have who I felt had what was required both wanted out, which is a worry. We are stuck with CH so we have to get behind him, I wonder how much his hands are going to be tied by the quality of players we will end up with though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here