Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer 2015 transfer window thread

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Pre season starts in two weeks. The transfer story with the most legs is an outgoing one. Bad. Bad. Bad. Again.

No news or leaks isn't necessarily bad news in regards to transfer activity. If we can get deals done quietly without other teams getting wind of them surely it gives us a better chance to get the player(s) signed.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
At some point a lot of you are going to have to accept that we are a mediocre club in the league

Accept mediocrity?

'Oi, you son, yes you over there, give us the ball back, the game is over'.

Accept mediocrity! To do that shows a complete lack of ambition, to do that sends a message of 'happy to be average', shows an absolute absence of winning mentality. We have a world class training facility, the highest quality stadium in our division, the highest attendance's etc, shall I go on?

We are one of the big boys in the Championship, we have to aim high, and then higher again. Our facilities do not give us a God given right to be successful, the give us a responsibility to aim to be successful not accept 'mediocre'. WHEN we get to the Prem we will need to readjust our expectations as we will no longer be a big fish, and in my lifetime we never will be, but you can never stop trying to be the very best you can be, if you do then you might as well put the ball away in the cupboard.

For what it is worth, I think the club have about two weeks to start to demonstrate our ambition. Let's wait and see.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Dear Mummy & Daddy,

Please can I have my Christmas presents early. All my friends are getting theirs early and there may not be any good ones left in the shop. Why can't I have mine now? I promise I'll put them away again until Christmas day. I want to know what I've got, give them to me now or I'll stop being your good little soldier. It's not fair, everyone's playing with their toys, why should they have their toys and not me? What have I done to deserve being treated like this? You're just being horrible to me, you don't like me do you? I hate you and I want my toys now! I want them, I want them! I wish I had a nice Mummy & Daddy like everyone else and not someone horrid like you. This always happens to me, it's just not fair. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So under Oscar our squad improved and we played better football did we? NO. We still had the majority of the Poyet play off team but Bridge had already decided he was better off elsewhere, Bridcutt and Buckley's interest had disappeared and the football we played was awful, we scraped into the play offs and got utterly humiliated by Derby, let's not pretend it was a vintage season.
You argued the squad was average. It wasn't.18 other clubs had squads that secured less points. You said the football was drab. We won a lot of matches and Forest was the most exciting albion match arguably for decades but each to their own. And as for vintage season then in 27 seasons out of the last 30 we've done worse. Interest There's a fair argument to say oscar /club should have done more in getting us over the line especially in the jan transfer window and we could have done without Bridcutt going on strike and yes the squad was showing signs of decline. We can all argue the finer points of that. (Buckley scored a few vital goals for starters) But why make out it was in in any way comparable to last year or most other seasons supporting the club (in the light of that it really was "vintage") .

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Accept mediocrity?

'Oi, you son, yes you over there, give us the ball back, the game is over'.

Accept mediocrity! To do that shows a complete lack of ambition, to do that sends a message of 'happy to be average', shows an absolute absence of winning mentality. We have a world class training facility, the highest quality stadium in our division, the highest attendance's etc, shall I go on?

We are one of the big boys in the Championship, we have to aim high, and then higher again. Our facilities do not give us a God given right to be successful, the give us a responsibility to aim to be successful not accept 'mediocre'. WHEN we get to the Prem we will need to readjust our expectations as we will no longer be a big fish, and in my lifetime we never will be, but you can never stop trying to be the very best you can be, if you do then you might as well put the ball away in the cupboard.

For what it is worth, I think the club have about two weeks to start to demonstrate our ambition. Let's wait and see.

My point was, as far as spending we are mediocre. As for the future, as my post does say and which you decided not to quote as it did not fit in with your rant. Is that the academy is the best way forward and that is where we have to produce the talent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dear Mummy & Daddy,

Please can I have my Christmas presents early. All my friends are getting theirs early and there may not be any good ones left in the shop. Why can't I have mine now? I promise I'll put them away again until Christmas day. I want to know what I've got, give them to me now or I'll stop being your good little soldier. It's not fair, everyone's playing with their toys, why should they have their toys and not me? What have I done to deserve being treated like this? You're just being horrible to me, you don't like me do you? I hate you and I want my toys now! I want them, I want them! I wish I had a nice Mummy & Daddy like everyone else and not someone horrid like you. This always happens to me, it's just not fair. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!

Yeah Mummy and Daddy last year I got my presents weeks, even months after everybody else and to make it worse they were shit ones too.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No news or leaks isn't necessarily bad news in regards to transfer activity. If we can get deals done quietly without other teams getting wind of them surely it gives us a better chance to get the player(s) signed.

It really is not in the interest of an agent to keep a transfer quiet. The Iranian's agent is a good example of this - contacting the press at every opportunity to put pressure on our club to increase the offer. We either deal with agents like him or wait till the end of the window and raid Wigan, Millwall & Blackpool of some of their players.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
And perhaps not fully appreciated at the time

Amen to that. Would love to have seen what Oscar could have done with a bit of support from the club, especially in the January window.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
People keep going on about Derby signing a few players, which they've done and they look a strong bet for doing well (although Clement is untested in management).

However, there are 22 other teams in this league outside us and Derby. Half of them have not even signed a player yet. Why not mention them?

It's frustrating that we've not signed anyone for the first team yet but we're far from alone. For context, if you're going to mention Derby you need to talk about other teams not signing players too.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah Mummy and Daddy last year I got my presents weeks, even months after everybody else and to make it worse they were shit ones too.

LoL! Well said IG.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Must admit i'm a little concerned we haven't signed anyone yet. Was hoping for couple of new faces by now ready for when the rest of the squad to report back for pre-season training.

I don't want a repeat of the opening home game against Wednesday where we had an appalling squad put out. That really set the tone for the rest of the season for me. August was a terrible month and the build up to it.

Oh my was that a bad game

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Oh my was that a bad game

It was indeed; and it set the tone for the rest of an awful season. As a club with ambition to reach the Premier league, we really must do better this year.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You argued the squad was average. It wasn't.18 other clubs had squads that secured less points. You said the football was drab. We won a lot of matches and Forest was the most exciting albion match arguably for decades but each to their own. And as for vintage season then in 27 seasons out of the last 30 we've done worse. Interest There's a fair argument to say oscar /club should have done more in getting us over the line especially in the jan transfer window and we could have done without Bridcutt going on strike and yes the squad was showing signs of decline. We can all argue the finer points of that. (Buckley scored a few vital goals for starters) But why make out it was in in any way comparable to last year or most other seasons supporting the club (in the light of that it really was "vintage") .

A couple of things, I'm not comparing last season to the season under Oscar, last year was awful but Oscar's season wasn't brilliant either but was far better than Hyypia's reign. In Oscar's season we scored a 55 goals in 46 games, the only teams that scored less finished 18th and below, yes we won a lot of games but they were mostly tedious 1-0 affairs, not enjoyable to watch.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A couple of things, I'm not comparing last season to the season under Oscar, last year was awful but Oscar's season wasn't brilliant either but was far better than Hyypia's reign. In Oscar's season we scored a 55 goals in 46 games, the only teams that scored less finished 18th and below, yes we won a lot of games but they were mostly tedious 1-0 affairs, not enjoyable to watch.

Ha ! Yes i do get the point DFP. I'm just pointing out that you're being extremely harsh in your assessment of only our 3rd play-offs season in 30 years.
You must have enjoyed Forest ? , beating QPR ? , Burnley ? the Leicester 4-1 , the 2 goals at the end of Yeovil, beating dirty Leeds ? . Thrashing Charlton ? - oh well. Perhaps not. I can see this is a lost cause !!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ha ! Yes i do get the point DFP. I'm just pointing out that you're being extremely harsh in your assessment of only our 3rd play-offs season in 30 years.
You must have enjoyed Forest ? , beating QPR ? , Burnley ? the Leicester 4-1 , the 2 goals at the end of Yeovil, beating dirty Leeds ? . Thrashing Charlton ? - oh well. Perhaps not. I can see this is a lost cause !!

I can see DFP's point...the only home game I actually enjoyed up to near the end was that Leicester one...apart from that I remember people thinking it was all a pretty turgid affair....in hindsight I think OG did a good job in the aftermath of Poyetgate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As regards OG it was a case of what you wanted entertaining football and lose 3- 2 most games or results and dour 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws. I personally prefer the latter.as I believe the game is about results and I pay money to see them achieve good results however the team play.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
As regards OG it was a case of what you wanted entertaining football and lose 3- 2 most games or results and dour 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws. I personally prefer the latter.as I believe the game is about results and I pay money to see them achieve good results however the team play.

Absolutely, but there's no point trying pretend we played entertaining football under Oscar, effective yes, but not enjoyable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here