Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
i am not calling out cyber bullying in the context of any political debate.......i am saying that the now early twenty somethings have been bought up on probably 6 hours of social media a day.....facebook , snapchat , twitter, tumbler etc etc......it is so much easier to type bollocks on a message forum than say it face to face....in my opinion we are going to be dealing with a lot of maladjusted people in the coming years....i think social media has a lot to do with that , the yoof of today seem to be barely capable of speaking properly, let alone interact with other generations....strange situation.

So when you said

when the opinions differ and heated debate ensues it is labelled cyber bullying

You weren't actually saying that heated debate gets labelled as Cyber bullying?

As for this post: I encounter a fair few twenty somethings and late teens and find them perfectly able to maintain a conversation as well as any other generation. I am not going to try and make predictions about the future but this stuff seems to be the same guff add people were saying when we were watching too much tv and playing too many video games.

I am not convinced the phenomenon you are describing is accurate now or in the near future.

The one shining light for social media is that it contains far more good news than traditional media who just seem to want to peddle fear and mistrust.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Well actually if you don't think they're on some crusade to label any newspaper they don't like as any kind of (ist) or (ophobe) then you've really lost the plot of the thread. I couldn't give a flying fvck about their mission. I'm saying the whole labelling of something as racist, hateful or whatever label you want to put on it because it doesn't suit your beliefs and to try and publicly try and make companies in some way feel it's bad to be associated with that paper is pathetic.

The thread had a plot?

Anyway, they are perfectly within their rights to do what they are doing, and it seems a fair few people agree with them.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So when you said

As for this post: I encounter a fair few twenty somethings and late teens and find them perfectly able to maintain a conversation as well as any other generation. I am not going to try and make predictions about the future but this stuff seems to be the same guff add people were saying when we were watching too much tv and playing too many video games.

I am not convinced the phenomenon you are describing is accurate now or in the near future.

The one shining light for social media is that it contains far more good news than traditional media who just seem to want to peddle fear and mistrust.

was not using the word debate in a political sense particularly.......as you are a teacher you may experience the youth of today when they are at their more lucid i.e , in the classroom discussing a lesson or on the sports field partaking in sport....this is when people in general are at their best , when they are active.....you cannot tell me that any good is coming out of kids spending 5 or 6 hours a day staring blankly at social media pages.....they are not discussing global warming or syria , you can bet on that ....social media , i pads , smartphones , tablets whatever , are in my opinion a massive dumbing down tool for our youth....much like giving a baby a dummy.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree with the second part of your comment but I don't recall any instances of heated debate being labelled cyber bullying. They are two pretty distinct things from what I can see.

There is an area known as the "merge" in aerial combat,you may be familiar with it,basically it's when two or more combatant jet fighters are at the boundary of beyond visual range and within visual range when engaging each other..(normally fighters operate at radar ranges).

From what i can read on this thread you are correct,they are two different things,however when we allow for the merge factor,then it's within that grey area so to speak that the two can cross over....

One Man's or Woman's version of heated debate,is another's Bullying? Maybe that could explain things..

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So when you said

your last sentence is bang on btw.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
was not using the word debate in a political sense particularly.......as you are a teacher you may experience the youth of today when they are at their more lucid i.e , in the classroom discussing a lesson or on the sports field partaking in sport....this is when people in general are at their best , when they are active.....you cannot tell me that any good is coming out of kids spending 5 or 6 hours a day staring blankly at social media pages.....they are not discussing global warming or syria , you can bet on that ....social media , i pads , smartphones , tablets whatever , are in my opinion a massive dumbing down tool for our youth....much like giving a baby a dummy.

what's the excuse for us then? being on a laptop typing away at 6am :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
There is an area known as the "merge" in aerial combat,you may be familiar with it,basically it's when two or more combatant jet fighters are at the boundary of beyond visual range and within visual range when engaging each other..(normally fighters operate at radar ranges).

From what i can read on this thread you are correct,they are two different things,however when we allow for the merge factor,then it's within that grey area so to speak that the two can cross over....

One Man's or Woman's version of heated debate,is another's Bullying? Maybe that could explain things..

also the person's own ability to distinguish between a debate and actually being bullied........for instance BF'S and my own opinion of things are frequently juxtaposed , that's fine ....if we were all of the same opinion on things it would be boring as buggery.....i have an opinion and i respect the views of others.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
your last sentence is bang on btw.

On that point, going a bit OT. I despise the Sun but they do what they do very very well. Often their human interest, and finally type stories are brilliant. No other tabloid comes close with the humour angle. It's a shame they can't do more of it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If this group were merely rallying against those who disagree with them then surely they would be targeting quality right leaning papers too.

Their facebook page has this group as jointly against the sun, express and mail because it believes their coverage of immigration is divisive.
They are claiming lego has buckled under their own pressure and will no longer advertise with the Mail. They hope more pressure will stop other advertisers
They are targeting the advertisers, i would say its clear the ultimate aim can only be to shut down the revenue stream of advertising for these 3 newspapers, you accomplish that then you will no doubt shut down the publication.

They are simply against the opinions of these publications though. If you don’t like what they are saying fair enough, make your own publication, counter their opinions and show everyone how they are wrong if you are able……but don’t try and shut down the free press because you don’t like what they are saying……doing this is creepy as hell.

There is a growing trend by so called SJW`s to shut down opposing views so they cant be heard in the first place, not only is this very sinister it is also very dangerous as it forces viewpoints you dont want to hear underground.

There are legitimate avenues you can pursue if you think one of these newspapers has reported something incorrectly.

Also from their facebook page is this in the about section

Frequently asked Questions

1. What does Stop Funding Hate stand for?

Freedom of speech and freedom of the press

We fully support freedom of expression, and freedom of the press

You could have fooled me

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
also the person's own ability to distinguish between a debate and actually being bullied........for instance BF'S and my own opinion of things are frequently juxtaposed , that's fine ....if we were all of the same opinion on things it would be boring as buggery.....i have an opinion and i respect the views of others.

That opinion is forged in the fires of life and life experience,which again brings us back,rightly,to your highlighting of the effects of social media -

Classroom is great,but practical can never be replicated in the classroom.

Now i admit my English and Grammar could be better and a classroom would be best for me.

Allow me to quote what an old teacher of mine used to say,it's stuck with me to this very day and i learnt it in a classroom while at college years ago (his name i have long since forgot).

"It's all a variation on a theme,nothing more sinister than that."

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

No I disagree, the way people communicate is changing but I am not convinced it is on the whole a change for the worse. As mentioned social media opens up a lot of positive ideas for discussion. Something that traditional media failed to do. Today's youth are just as inquisitive and interested in things as previous generations and have a far wider range of resources to feed that interest. I can only base my view on what I experience but I don't think things are that bad.

Out of interest do you think that NSC is dumbing us down to any degree?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

i can tell you one thing for certain, if there is a debate to be had you are far more likely to pick up valuable real information from both sides on NSC than you would in the media

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Their facebook page has this group as jointly against the sun, express and mail because it believes their coverage of immigration is divisive.
They are claiming lego has buckled under their own pressure and will no longer advertise with the Mail. They hope more pressure will stop other advertisers
They are targeting the advertisers, i would say its clear the ultimate aim can only be to shut down the revenue stream of advertising for these 3 newspapers, you accomplish that then you will no doubt shut down the publication.

They are simply against the opinions of these publications though. If you don’t like what they are saying fair enough, make your own publication, counter their opinions and show everyone how they are wrong if you are able……but don’t try and shut down the free press because you don’t like what they are saying……doing this is creepy as hell.

There is a growing trend by so called SJW`s to shut down opposing views so they cant be heard in the first place, not only is this very sinister it is also very dangerous as it forces viewpoints you dont want to hear underground.

There are legitimate avenues you can pursue if you think one of these newspapers has reported something incorrectly.

You could have fooled me

I agree with you it is a bit creepy and worth noting, but they're not shutting down an opinion, and to shut down theirs would be hypocrisy.

They're well within the line in my opinion.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
No I disagree, the way people communicate is changing but I am not convinced it is on the whole a change for the worse. As mentioned social media opens up a lot of positive ideas for discussion. Something that traditional media failed to do. Today's youth are just as inquisitive and interested in things as previous generations and have a far wider range of resources to feed that interest. I can only base my view on what I experience but I don't think things are that bad.

not at all.....we are mostly adult fans of the same football club who are here to discuss results , news and anything else we chose to discuss as adults , can you see the difference between us and 14 & 15 year olds spending 5 hrs a day on instagram or facebook........or a nine year old spending his entire weekend playing mine craft and actually getting stressed out over his score....?? these are real and quite common occurrences and it is as much to do do with the parents as it is do do with the kids........we are clearly approaching this subject from completely different angles and i'm starting to wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse....do you have kids of your own....feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
not at all.....we are mostly adult fans of the same football club who are here to discuss results , news and anything else we chose to discuss as adults , can you see the difference between us and 14 & 15 year olds spending 5 hrs a day on instagram or facebook........or a nine year old spending his entire weekend playing mine craft and actually getting stressed out over his score....?? these are real and quite common occurrences and it is as much to do do with the parents as it is do do with the kids........we are clearly approaching this subject from completely different angles and i'm starting to wonder if you are being deliberately obtuse....do you have kids of your own....feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

Could it be us parents on NSC ignoring them? well maybe be some but i agree with both you and badfish..

My 18 year old drives and works but spends hours on social media too...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

You could have fooled me

So they are not targeting quality right leaning papers then. This suggests to me that it is more than just about whether they agree with them or not. Clearly they have an issue with the methodology that the three papers share.

Personally I think it is good that companies are starting to consider who they are linking their brand to. And that people are considering theses things when making their purchases. We don't have much power in the modern capitalist world and it is about time we exercised what we do have and made considered choices when spending our moment

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I agree with you it is a bit creepy and worth noting, but they're not shutting down an opinion, and to shut down theirs would be hypocrisy.

They're well within the line in my opinion.

i didnt say shut down their opinion that would indeed be hypocritical, i literally just said though a better option would be to form your own publication and counter opinions you dont agree with. debate is far healthier than shutting down opinions you dont agree with.

seeing that their game is to hurt these papers with revenue stream what purpose are they serving if to not ultimately change their opinion or shut them down.......surely they arnt doing it for lols

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Could it be us parents on NSC ignoring them? well maybe be some but i agree with both you and badfish..

My 18 year old drives and works but spends hours on social media too...

obviously done him no harm then........parents get the job of bringing the kids up......some people occupy and teach their kids on a daily basis .....some give them an ipad at the age of 3.......!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here