Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Can't believe people are getting all bent out of shape about this shit. On Monday lots of people will by the Daily Mail and lots of people will buy Lego.

The world keeps turning - even if fragile folk on Facebook / wherever get all emotional about it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have never bought the Daily Mail nor even read it. I am completely indifferent. This constant agitation against this newspaper seems to me to be more a coded attack on ordinary people (the readership).
Well go and read it, and then try telling me the readership are ordinary people.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The thing that irritates me most about the whole Brexit/Trump/daily Mail thing is the argument that they somehow represent the "ordinary people".

I can assure you I am extraordinarily ordinary and I can't see the appeal of any of the above.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I get your point but, as I despise the Mail and pretty much everything it stands for, I might not be able to give a balanced response. Out of interest, did you hear about their article about the judges who made the decision on Brexit recently. To me that was a classic example of why I hate the Mail.

Was one of those days mate where you could pull onto petrol station forecourt which has the papers out the front and clearly see the political bias in every single newspaper on sale...should have set them out on the displays on either the left or right.....there was no centre ground that day for sure!!!
Don't worry mate....I have the same distain for the Guardian.....so get your point!!

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
A lot of people who take the high ground and call themselves progressives are now being called out for what many actually see them and their ideas as, regressives.

I tend to find people who self identify as 'progressives' to be some of the most intolerant, closed minded muppets you could possibly find.

A silver lining to some of the OTT reaction to Brexit and now Trumps win has been watching their prejudice and contempt for those with a different opinion laid bare for all to see.

Their sense of entitlement and self righteousness is truly gob smacking :facepalm:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
d90d6ba8d67bc0b3c63f1d92faa0acb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Was one of those days mate where you could pull onto petrol station forecourt which has the papers out the front and clearly see the political bias in every single newspaper on sale...should have set them out on the displays on either the left or right.....there was no centre ground that day for sure!!!
Don't worry mate....I have the same distain for the Guardian.....so get your point!!

Exactly. All about opinions. If I read a paper, it is the Guardian. I genuinely think it is the most balanced but realise many others have different views on it.

I agree all the papers showed their bias with the story but, for me, the Mail, Sun and Express had horrible articles, from memory one of them called the judges traitors and another focused on one of the judges being gay (which surely is irrelevant to the story). It saddens me they are the most read newspapers in the country.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I tend to find people who self identify as 'progressives' to be some of the most intolerant, closed minded muppets you could possibly find.

A silver lining to some of the OTT reaction to Brexit and now Trumps win has been watching their prejudice and contempt for those with a different opinion laid bare for all to see.

Their sense of entitlement and self righteousness is truly gob smacking :facepalm:

Well said sir!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

you left out hypocrisy

lovetrumps (1).jpg

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Exactly. All about opinions. If I read a paper, it is the Guardian. I genuinely think it is the most balanced but realise many others have different views on it.

I agree all the papers showed their bias with the story but, for me, the Mail, Sun and Express had horrible articles, from memory one of them called the judges traitors and another focused on one of the judges being gay (which surely is irrelevant to the story). It saddens me they are the most read newspapers in the country.

Love threads like this.... Funny how we all bitch, moan and get divided over such shit.......but come Friday night at 7:45 we'll all be united (well Albion if you want to be picky)!!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The thing that irritates me most about the whole Brexit/Trump/daily Mail thing is the argument that they somehow represent the "ordinary people".

I can assure you I am extraordinarily ordinary and I can't see the appeal of any of the above.

So who exactly do you think represents the 'ordinary' people? (Apart from people that agree with you, of course).

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Love threads like this.... Funny how we all bitch, moan and get divided over such shit.......but come Friday night at 7:45 we'll all be united (well Albion if you want to be picky)!!!!

Agreed. That is what's so great about football. It unifies so many for one cause. Looking forward to getting back to proper football on Friday

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The article to which there is a link below includes a table of statistics on complaints to the Press Complaints Commissionin 2013. It shows the Daily Mail as having about twice as many complaints against it as any other Newspaper, and very nearly double the percentage upheld at about 36%.

I would want to uphold the Freedom of the Press, but when a paper knowingly and repeatedly lies through its teeth or deliberately prints inflammatory garbage, it's a shame nothing can be done about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/professor-brian-cathcart/pcc-complaint-statistics_b_4701685.html

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The article to which there is a link below includes a table of statistics on complaints to the Press Complaints Commissionin 2013. It shows the Daily Mail as having about twice as many complaints against it as any other Newspaper, and very nearly double the percentage upheld at about 36%.

I would want to uphold the Freedom of the Press, but when a paper knowingly and repeatedly lies through its teeth or deliberately prints inflammatory garbage, it's a shame nothing can be done about it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/professor-brian-cathcart/pcc-complaint-statistics_b_4701685.html

where does it say 36% of complaints are upheld.
i might need to clean my specs but i cant see it

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton

All I take from articles like that is that is further proof that society today has become so ridiculously pathetic and soft that the very idea that something has hurt someone's feeling or made them a little upset is virtually akin to murder.
It seems like we've bred a generation of people who believe they are blameless for anything in their life they don't like or disagree with. But are determined to be 'offended' by anything and everything at every possible opportunity.
The fact the thread is about a protest group against papers like the mail.....it's no surprise the numbers of complaints are up as there are so many more 'victims' of hurt feelings or even worse.....the offended!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
At the risk of biting, do you not agree that people have the right to express their opinion? Democracy doesn't mean you have to take it on the chin and shut up about it.

Especially in the case of the Brexit lies, and the Trump campaign of hate. Would you have demonstrated against the Nazi party in Germany? Or would you have happily and blindly gone along with it, regardless of how you felt? If so, that says more about you than the people who take a passionate stance for what they believe in.

Also worth saying that more of the low turnout in America DID NOT vote for Trump, he got 200,000 fewer votes nationwide. At least Brexit actually won!

as long as people have the right to express their opinions then others have a right to object to those opinions ...no ...?? we either all enjoy free speech....or no one does...yes...?
the media will then have a right to report in words and pictures any results of such conflicting opinions although one would have to ask ones self how the video of the 5 or 6 black youths in the states attacking what appeared to be a 60 year old white man and stealing his car whilst screaming " he voted trump"... is supposed to be digested...!!
at what point does freedom of speech turn to freedom of action...ie....belting and robbing someone who has a view contrary to that of your own...? as some people of said in the "press" a lot of people just aren't brought up right these days.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Unless you have other statistics, I think you will find that the 36% is the percentage of total complaints that are attributable to the DM.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here