Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Well one reason would be because people are living longer - maybe we should push them off a cliff at 70. And also because we require more young people of working age with the skills the country needs. Immigration will continue well beyond Brexit regardless.

As for population density, actually, England is pretty similar to Germany although you're right about the other 2. Of course, if we made more effort to improve the infrastructure right across the UK, that could be eased but, yes, the south is crowded. I suppose that's just the downside of being lucky enough to have been born in a successful nation. If it all goes tits up over the next 30 years, we'll probably have a bit more space.
1.2 million extra since 1985. That's over the age of 65. I think the other 6-7 million speaks for itself. Ironically, the older people you suggested should be pushed over the cliff mostly voted Brexit and many remainers and young people made much of that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Also not sure having personal experience of something is a necessary benchmark to form a reasonable opinion.

Quite agree - but if people vote on the basis of their personal experience, their view is worthy of respect. Unfortunately, it appears from recent elections that there must be at least as many who have no personal experience of an issue but make their decision based on distortions of fact, without questioning whether they're being told the complete truth.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
1.2 million extra since 1985. That's over the age of 65. I think the other 6-7 million speaks for itself. Ironically, the older people you suggested should be pushed over the cliff mostly voted Brexit and many remainers and young people made much of that.

Yes, of course, I was serious when I said 'maybe we should push them off a cliff' :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I am not the least interested in a snapshot of immigration. The simple fact is that there are too many people here in a small island with limited resources. I don't care what colour or race the people are either. We are so much more crowded in England than Germany or France or Spain who have far larger countries. Our population has jumped massively in the last twenty years, much driven by immigration, the immigrants also tend to be young and have bigger families. Not good in overcrowding terms. Why have we let our population grow about 8 million since 1980? Why else are house prices so prohibitive. It is a national disgrace.

House prices are only prohibitive in certain areas. Surely now work from home is becoming an option for a lot of business, it won't matter where you live, so you can move to an area where the house prices are less expensive. I pointed out a brownfield area just outside of Sheffield, where a brand new housing estate has been built, to a good standard, with lots of resources, just recently. Only 2% of this country is built on.

We need foreign students paying over £26K to our universities, which, in effect, subsidise our students who pay £9K, otherwise, our youngsters would have to pay a lot more, or close some unis down for lack of students.

We need younger workers to pay taxes, and National Insurance to pay for my State pension, which I paid into for 50 years, to support the pensioners who were old then.

Nobody is trying to put the Mail or Sun out of business, but asking companies not to use advertising space, when they print lies and provocative stories. The IPCC don't hold them to account, so people are. They can always change their editorials; that's what freedom of the press means.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Yes, of course, I was serious when I said 'maybe we should push them off a cliff' :rolleyes:

^ by a quirk of coincidence, that exact scenario was in the 1986 film Whoops Apocalypse:

films-1986-whoops-apocalypse.jpg

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Why are they morons... I don't get it? Don't have a strong view on their arguments but the right to protest is fundamental to our society.

If you have no idea of why I consider vermin demonstrating on Remembrance Sunday morons,then I sincerely hope you are not British.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
House prices are only prohibitive in certain areas. Surely now work from home is becoming an option for a lot of business, it won't matter where you live, so you can move to an area where the house prices are less expensive. I pointed out a brownfield area just outside of Sheffield, where a brand new housing estate has been built, to a good standard, with lots of resources, just recently. Only 2% of this country is built on.

We need foreign students paying over £26K to our universities, which, in effect, subsidise our students who pay £9K, otherwise, our youngsters would have to pay a lot more, or close some unis down for lack of students.

We need younger workers to pay taxes, and National Insurance to pay for my State pension, which I paid into for 50 years, to support the pensioners who were old then.

Nobody is trying to put the Mail or Sun out of business, but asking companies not to use advertising space, when they print lies and provocative stories. The IPCC don't hold them to account, so people are. They can always change their editorials; that's what freedom of the press means.
I agree with much of your reasoning. But my point is, capitalism is failing all over the world. We cannot simply keep consuming as we are and increasing our numbers and expect no repercussions. Our model for success is a disaster and it's only going to get worse if we keep on the way we are. The flight of migrants from Africa, for instance, who I have a great deal of sympathy for, is as a result of overpopulation, political instability, a changing climate and buses if encouragement most notably from Mrs Merkel. We should be doing more to help migrants, not becoming ever more involved with bombing countries we don't like.
Because it is not in anyone who really matters interest to build enough for people to live in.
Probably true. Our economy is far too closely tied to house prices.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you have no idea of why I consider vermin demonstrating on Remembrance Sunday morons,then I sincerely hope you are not British.

Whilst I do see your point, it was Le Pen being given airtime on Remembrance Sunday that some found particularly distasteful. That decision is made even more bizarre when you consider the interview was pre-recorded.

I guess it all hinges on what side of the Le Pen: Fascist or committed patriot debate you fall on.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Whilst I do see your point, it was Le Pen being given airtime on Remembrance Sunday that some found particularly distasteful. That decision is made even more bizarre when you consider the interview was pre-recorded.

I guess it all hinges on what side of the Le Pen: Fascist or committed patriot debate you fall on.

They could have demonstrated on Monday.I don't suppose any of them have a real job!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
User Name

I can only assume that your quote related to something different then. I thought you were talking about the people behind Stop Funding Hate. That said, I'm not really sure why protesting on Remembrance Sunday is a 'no-no', unless we're on about people pissing on the Cenotaph or something? Being British, I thought the major achievement of the war my Grandad fought in was to preserve our freedoms - which would include the right to any peaceful protest, no matter how irritating it may be to the rest of us.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I can only assume that your quote related to something different then. I thought you were talking about the people behind Stop Funding Hate. That said, I'm not really sure why protesting on Remembrance Sunday is a 'no-no', unless we're on about people pissing on the Cenotaph or something? Being British, I thought the major achievement of the war my Grandad fought in was to preserve our freedoms - which would include the right to any peaceful protest, no matter how irritating it may be to the rest of us.
The daily mail has countless times shown a lack of consideration for others. I think protesters could hold off for a day don't you?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But my point is, capitalism is failing all over the world. We cannot simply keep consuming as we are and increasing our numbers and expect no repercussions. Our model for success is a disaster and it's only going to get worse if we keep on the way we are.

I'm certainly with you on this even if we disagree (I think) on the effect of immigration to this point. I don't believe there's been much in the way of mature debate within this country about how to cope with the challenges the modern world is presenting - and frequently attempts to do so are hijacked by the more extreme sides of the political spectrum, whether it's labelling open discussion of race and religion as 'racist' or whipping up jingoistic sentiment to win votes. My personal belief is (probably - these things can change) that there's nothing to be gained from countries isolating themselves and that a fairer distribution of wealth at all levels - local and global - is more likely to lead to a peaceful society and world. By definition, there will always still be winners and losers - but if the 'winners' have even some limited compassion and will to help those that are less well off, it's bound to help. I expect that makes me more 'left' than 'right' - but, as I find most high profile politicians self-serving and hypocritical, I don't really align myself to any one party right now.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

And what do you think your Grandad would have said about people disrespecting a day of remembrance for British war dead?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And what do you think your Grandad would have said about people disrespecting a day of remembrance for British war dead?

He would have said, I disagree with what they say, but agree with the right to say it.

It was at the BBC and nowhere near any war memorials.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The daily mail has countless times shown a lack of consideration for others. I think protesters could hold off for a day don't you?

I think that's their decision. If enough people do believe its distasteful and the timing makes them no better than the Daily Mail, then their protest has been counter-productive. Regardless, as a nation, I'm pleased we have the freedom to protest whenever we feel like it and people can decide for themselves whether or not they agree.

Anyway, this is where I follow the crowd and now dip out and distract myself with meaningless stuff like football. Roll on Friday - it'll make a wonderful change from thinking about the bigger, rather depressing picture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here