Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Denouncing others? Do you hear yourself? :D The only reply you could muster to his post was a childish, "yeah well you own two houses so there"

Hypocrisy isn't your forte is it? :lolol:

You are quite right, it is not my forte. I answered like for like, had you bothered to read what he wrote, and also, I don't come on here like you spouting about other's so-called intolerance, and then demonstrate exactly that trait myself -this is the difference.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Nothing at all. Rothaus, Augustiner, Berliner Berg, Schopperbrau, Heidenpeters and BRLO are all favourites but I like variety and the UK does some damn fine beers.

I used to go to camra pubs before I went to the fatherland, as a neighbour was a fanatic on finding exactly the right ale. And quite happily drank it. But since the move , I have only ever drunk German beer or lager when I run out over here. But do agree -variety is the spice of life.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It is a free country it is their choice what they campaign against.

As mentioned before there is absolutely nothing stopping you starting a campaign group against puritanical wahhabism.

If you don't like it, ignore them.

So why don't they just simply ignore the DM, by your logic? But of course that is not what you want, is it? JCFG is advised to ignore something when it suits you, and the pressure group can campaign as they see fit. And they can, of course, as it is a free country, where hypocrits can offer double standards.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
So why don't they just simply ignore the DM, by your logic? But of course that is not what you want, is it? JCFG is advised to ignore something when it suits you, and the pressure group can campaign as they see fit. And they can, of course, as it is a free country, where hypocrits can offer double standards.

Christ knows where you got that interpretation from. Can you point out in any of my posts where I said I supported them?

They are campiagning for something they believe in; you, I and JCFG have the choice on whether to support them or not. JCFG suggested campaigning against Saudi wahhabism of which I replied that there is nothing stopping him from starting a group to do that; again whether you, I or JCFG support it or not. What do you suggest? That we just follow campaigns that you support? That we just follow campaigns I support? That we just follow campaigns JCFG support? Would you prefer it if there were no campaigns whatsoever and we just followed every decision government, big business and the media make?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'll take pressure group as it clearly is. As an aside Some of the right wing pant-pissers on this thread would have you think pressure groups have never existed before.

Pressure groups are okay as long as they pressure an opinion that they agree with.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yep, I would agree with that actually. I don't vote Tory but I recognise that there some very decent Conservatives and in fact one of the most liberal steps this country has ever taken - the introduction of gay marriage - was the work of a Tory prime minister.

A discussion perhaps for another day is that the left-right political spectrum is probably past its sell-by date as a means of looking at political viewpoints. There have been some interesting articles on that subject since the Brexit vote.

From observing debates on NSC, the left right spectrum is more of a means to divide and label. It is used to create assumptions and generalisations to argue about so as one can avoid discussing what people actually say. Strip away this paradigm and we just start to realise that actually there is more in common that binds us than differences that divide us.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Absolutely this. I read several different newspapers and I'm quite shocked at how extreme the Guardian can be and how at odds with it's own marketing image the actual content is. If anything it's as bad or worse than the DM (not a paper I choose to read because I like old fashioned news, not gossip and celebrity culture) appears to be. Yet it's not lampooned to anywhere near the same extent. Of course all papers are politically biased. Yet I find The 'Tory'graph isn't as imbalanced as the Guardian these days. The sad thing is papers are rapidly becoming so polarised it switches people off from reading them or accepting extreme views only. That's not healthy. I might be one of them if it weren't still for the excellent sports coverage.

I used to read the Times but became fed up with feeding the coffers of Rupert Murdoch, the publishing world's Peter Mandleson

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Who'd even heard of 'Stop Funding Hate' yesterday morning? 32 pages and rising on here and published and broadcast on media outlets both here and abroad. It's been a good 24 hours for them, whoever they are.

Yes so much for shutting down debate, they seem to have done a bang up job of creating some.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I agree and i agree with [MENTION=14225]AWAYDAY[/MENTION] it's happened over the many centuries too,now we all know the atrocities that happened in WW2,it was documented by video,however it makes you wonder how many so called truths in the past were lies,repeated enough times to become the absolute truth,on any matter....i digress slightly

The wife and I watched The Stanford Prison Experiment film last night and it is fascinating what happens to individuality, morality and social norms when certain pressures are put upon them. Learn to manipulate said pressures and anything can become truth. If i can find the time i would like to do some follow up reading in this area of psychlogy, any suggestions from NSC (I seem to remember reading some studies of the behaviours of football crowds some years ago)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The wife and I watched The Stanford Prison Experiment film last night and it is fascinating what happens to individuality, morality and social norms when certain pressures are put upon them. Learn to manipulate said pressures and anything can become truth. If i can find the time i would like to do some follow up reading in this area of psychlogy, any suggestions from NSC (I seem to remember reading some studies of the behaviours of football crowds some years ago)

I cannot recommend anything of the top of my head,but i think i will give that a go,that has got me curious...It's true i guess it's why we all should perhaps take a step back on occasion and ask ourselves why a certain situation has presented it's self the way it has.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I cannot recommend anything of the top of my head,but i think i will give that a go,that has got me curious...It's true i guess it's why we all should perhaps take a step back on occasion and ask ourselves why a certain situation has presented it's self the way it has.

Great film but scary as hell. Let me know what you thought would be interesting to get your take on it.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Great film but scary as hell. Let me know what you thought would be interesting to get your take on it.

Will try and fit it in sometime this week and would like to-having just read up on it,it seems up my street...i wonder also what the outcomes would have been iF for example a fee was paid of say $1m to each participant to take part..

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is a free country it is their choice what they campaign against.

As mentioned before there is absolutely nothing stopping you starting a campaign group against puritanical wahhabism.

If you don't like it, ignore them.

Absolutely I don't remember saying it wasn't.

Concern for personal safety and friends and family might possibly give me pause for thought. I expect starting a campaign against wahhabism would involve some kick back ... usual death threats, possible violence etc.

Ignore them or make use of my right to free speech commenting about/criticizing them.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Interesting that we've had nearly 400 posts without anybody explaining the details.

Since 2013 Lego have had a promotional deal with the DM whereby the latter give away free kits with their Saturady and Sunday newspapers. This involves two methods:

1. Small pieces wrapped within the cellophane of the newspaper.
2. Larger kits that require cutting out a coupon. This method involves a third party, WH Smith, who store the items until redeemed by the coupon. These packs, often valued around £5 and not usually available on their own, are distributed in limited numbers and are available on a first come, first served basis.

Here we have:
1. Lego providing free kit.
2. WH Smith providing the retail and storage.
3. DM being purchased to provide access to the free gift.

The only business making money at this point is the DM. My guess is that Lego are not entirely altruistic in giving away their products for free and thus have a deal with the DM whereby they are recompensed some of the value. In ending the agreement Lego are not losing a great deal and neither are the DM who will only lose the extra sales they gained via the promotional tie in, some of which they gave over to Lego anyway. The latter gain a nice little PR victory.

I'd also add that stopfundinghate appear to have made little headway with some of the other major corporate advertisers.

You can all go back to calling each other left wing/right wing ( delete as applicable) morons.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
There was much TV coverage of why so many folk voted for Trump -the pictures of long-forgotten derelict factories told their own story. The situation in which so many people in the USA found themselves was such that they didn't need their views to be shaped by any paper. The Establishment had already done that. As you sit in your quaint Sussex village, pontificating about Brexit, it might be an idea to remind you that UKIP scored heavily in areas where there is huge immigration - folk can see all around them how their area has changed, and this too does not come from a paper. Papers may cement your views, but I put it you that you are the result of your upbringing and your experiences of life.
And what are the worrying parallels, to which you refer?

According to one very detailed analysis I read (not in the Guardian so people don't need to get over-excited), the break down of the results in the USA actually showed that voting among the poorest sections of society was split pretty evenly between Trump and Clinton, so 'long-forgotten derelict factories' are a red herring. There were only 2 issues that consistently marked out Trump voters that were less present in the Clinton vote: concerns over immigration and concerns over terrorism. If people are voting because they are convinced they are directly, adversely affected by immigration then that seems fair enough - even if there may be a multitude of other reasons for their own personal failure to succeed. However, Brexit showed that many of the areas that voted 'out' most overwhelmingly were those where there are the lowest concentrations of foreigners. It's not much of a jump to believe that's the same in some of the most rural areas of the USA. So what motivates many of those voters is actually fear, rather than personal experience - a fear whipped up by sections of the media in both countries. As for the worrying parallels, you really need it explained? The demonisation of sections of society based on race/religion as a focus for all our ills?

Anyway, I will sit here in my quaint Sussex village of Brighton (?), with my friendly Spanish neighbours on one side and cheerful Portuguese neighbour on the other (who replaced the nice Polish couple that used to live here) and reflect on how dreadful it must be for all these people who have the misfortune to be surrounded by immigrants.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
...However, Brexit showed that many of the areas that voted 'out' most overwhelmingly were those where there are the lowest concentrations of foreigners. It's not much of a jump to believe that's the same in some of the most rural areas of the USA. So what motivates many of those voters is actually fear, rather than personal experience - a fear whipped up by sections of the media in both countries. As for the worrying parallels, you really need it explained? The demonisation of sections of society based on race/religion as a focus for all our ills?

A narrative based on pulling emotional strings rather than fact.

I don't mind folks basing decisions on emotion, i do it regularly, we all do. What i find insidious, is dressing it up as fact, by pretending to be a factual publication, as in the DM.

So some don't like change, i get it, vote the immigrants out, but don't pretend it's something it isn't.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
According to one very detailed analysis I read (not in the Guardian so people don't need to get over-excited), the break down of the results in the USA actually showed that voting among the poorest sections of society was split pretty evenly between Trump and Clinton, so 'long-forgotten derelict factories' are a red herring. There were only 2 issues that consistently marked out Trump voters that were less present in the Clinton vote: concerns over immigration and concerns over terrorism. If people are voting because they are convinced they are directly, adversely affected by immigration then that seems fair enough - even if there may be a multitude of other reasons for their own personal failure to succeed. However, Brexit showed that many of the areas that voted 'out' most overwhelmingly were those where there are the lowest concentrations of foreigners. It's not much of a jump to believe that's the same in some of the most rural areas of the USA. So what motivates many of those voters is actually fear, rather than personal experience - a fear whipped up by sections of the media in both countries. As for the worrying parallels, you really need it explained? The demonisation of sections of society based on race/religion as a focus for all our ills?

Anyway, I will sit here in my quaint Sussex village of Brighton (?), with my friendly Spanish neighbours on one side and cheerful Portuguese neighbour on the other (who replaced the nice Polish couple that used to live here) and reflect on how dreadful it must be for all these people who have the misfortune to be surrounded by immigrants.

I don't think many Out voters have a problem with nice Spanish/Portuguese /Polish etc neighbours. What part of controlled immigration is hard to grasp.
Whilst you like me are sitting pretty in their own property, plenty of youngsters in their 20/30s are living with their parents and have no chance of getting their own property. Just paying very high rents if they can afford to move out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here