Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Funding Hate - Pathetic!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm certainly with you on this even if we disagree (I think) on the effect of immigration to this point. I don't believe there's been much in the way of mature debate within this country about how to cope with the challenges the modern world is presenting - and frequently attempts to do so are hijacked by the more extreme sides of the political spectrum, whether it's labelling open discussion of race and religion as 'racist' or whipping up jingoistic sentiment to win votes. My personal belief is (probably - these things can change) that there's nothing to be gained from countries isolating themselves and that a fairer distribution of wealth at all levels - local and global - is more likely to lead to a peaceful society and world. By definition, there will always still be winners and losers - but if the 'winners' have even some limited compassion and will to help those that are less well off, it's bound to help. I expect that makes me more 'left' than 'right' - but, as I find most high profile politicians self-serving and hypocritical, I don't really align myself to any one party right now.
I agree. You highlight lack of mature discussion. You are correct that good people remain quiet for fear that they will be overruled and castigated by those to the left and the right. We are now in an unusually strange situation. Decades of political correctness is kind of enduring, or at least the sense of it, whilst the 'overthrowing' of establishment ideals, Brexit/Clinton has ruptured the PC safety valve and what is gushing out is a mixture of good, bad and ugly. Opponents of liberalism are easily branded as right wing extremists wherever they are on the spectrum whilst what remains of the old order are left reeling from the sudden withdrawal of values which they have, up to now, considered to be of a permanent nature in the modern world.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm certainly with you on this even if we disagree (I think) on the effect of immigration to this point. I don't believe there's been much in the way of mature debate within this country about how to cope with the challenges the modern world is presenting - and frequently attempts to do so are hijacked by the more extreme sides of the political spectrum, whether it's labelling open discussion of race and religion as 'racist' or whipping up jingoistic sentiment to win votes.

I suspect it's because

a) No one has got the foggiest what to do
b) That debate is probably far scarier than scapegoating immigrants

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I agree with much of your reasoning. But my point is, capitalism is failing all over the world. We cannot simply keep consuming as we are and increasing our numbers and expect no repercussions. Our model for success is a disaster and it's only going to get worse if we keep on the way we are. The flight of migrants from Africa, for instance, who I have a great deal of sympathy for, is as a result of overpopulation, political instability, a changing climate and buses if encouragement most notably from Mrs Merkel. We should be doing more to help migrants, not becoming ever more involved with bombing countries we don't like. Probably true. Our economy is far too closely tied to house prices.

is it indeed? Seems very odd that millions from the third world or wherever, are desperate to get to a failing system.

I think you will find that Britain funds the camps in Turkey and elsewhere for Syrians very generously. And given the huge rise in our population, it would seem also that we have done our bit over the years. But we ought not to bomb Chad, Iran, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Pakistan, India and Somalia.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
is it indeed? Seems very odd that millions from the third world or wherever, are desperate to get to a failing system.

I think you will find that Britain funds the camps in Turkey and elsewhere for Syrians very generously. And given the huge rise in our population, it would seem also that we have done our bit over the years. But we ought not to bomb Chad, Iran, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Pakistan, India and Somalia.

Our system is doomed if we carry on like we are at present. I didn't say that we weren't very much better off than most places where the migrants are coming from, that is why I have sympathy with them.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
To be fair to them, the Daily Mail is a disgusting, hate-filled rag with journalistic standards to rival the Argus.

Their front page today was a story about a woman who was "demonised" (their word) because buying formula milk doesn't count towards her getting free parking at Tesco.

Great crossword though

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
They could have demonstrated on Monday.I don't suppose any of them have a real job!
And Nigel Farage could have waited until Monday for his gold encrusted smugathon with Trump. Or even worn a poppy. But strangely that particular outrage has been ignored by the same papers that were so keen to fabricate a story about Jeremy Corbyn 'dancing a jig'.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And Nigel Farage could have waited until Monday for his gold encrusted smugathon with Trump. Or even worn a poppy. But strangely that particular outrage has been ignored by the same papers that were so keen to fabricate a story about Jeremy Corbyn 'dancing a jig'.

Maybe he was at the BBC and nowhere near any war memorials :facepalm:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Maybe he was at the BBC and nowhere near any war memorials :facepalm:
At the BBC? No he skipped remembrance day and went to the US instead because clearly it was more important to enhance his ego by being seen gurning in a gold-plated lift with his fellow 'ant-elitist'.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
From what I've read - and the numbers seem to stack up having checked elsewhere - net migration to this country in 2015 was around 160,000 people. That's adjusted to remove overseas students, who the Government (and newspapers) count as they're here for more than a year. However, they tend to go home after their studies - having contributed handsomely to the cost of running our universities (paying around 3x as much, apparently).

So, 160,000 people. That's 5-6 Amex Stadiums full with the whole country to fit them in.

I'd suggest that if our various political leaders are unable to maintain a system that can cope with that (bearing in mind that the vast majority of these immigrants are taxpayers too), then they're the ones who should be taking the flak.

It's a smokescreen that hides their own failings.

But was not Cameron lambasted for failing to keep below the 300,000 figure for net migration? And are the goverment now tightening up on foreign students, precisely as the system is so abused, because they don't go home. I am not sure your figure is correct, but year on year, the numbers mount up. The idea that 160,000 are easily spread out over this huge country is somewhat far-fetched, is it not? Do recent arrivals not wish to join family members, co-religionists etc in areas which already have high levels of immigration, thus creating an ever bigger divide, and increasing strain on infrastructure.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Farage is not an elected leader of a uk party and is not obliged or wanted at the Cenotaph any more than Nick Griffin or Screaming Lord Sutch.

Maybe you should ask why Gerry Adams does not attend as he has been elected.

Nice bit of double standards here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Farage is not an elected leader of a uk party and is not obliged or wanted at the Cenotaph any more than Nick Griffin or Screaming Lord Sutch.

Maybe you should ask why Gerry Adams does not attend as he has been elected.

Nice bit of double standards here.
Yes, it's funny to see the Farage haters get excited as he wasn't there. Had he been there, imagine the complaints. It was the same with Brexit. Just before the vote, no remainers wanted Farage anywhere near power. After the referendum, many wanted him to be involved in the negotiations. You're right, double standards.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, it's funny to see the Farage haters get excited as he wasn't there. Had he been there, imagine the complaints. It was the same with Brexit. Just before the vote, no remainers wanted Farage anywhere near power. After the referendum, many wanted him to be involved in the negotiations. You're right, double standards.

I was (still am) a remainer, and I wouldn't want Farage anywhere near negotiations, liaising with Trump on our behalf or anything else. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I don't know any remainers who would want him so involved.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was (still am) a remainer, and I wouldn't want Farage anywhere near negotiations, liaising with Trump on our behalf or anything else. I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. I don't know any remainers who would want him so involved.
That's why I said 'many'. Several people on my Facebook were suggesting that it was a disgrace that Farage wasn't involved and also there were some on NSC who were arguing the same thing. I imagine that is fairly representative of the more outlandish sections of the remain vote. Much like some posters here were complaining that he should have been at the cenotaph, he is such a figure of hate to the extremists that they will take any opportunity to slag him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here