Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Ban cycling up Ditchling Beacon?

So I should get off my bike and push it up instead?

The cyclist would get to the top quicker if they dismounted at the car park at the bottom and pushed their bikes up the footpath. The distance is probably 1/5 of that by road and consequently a lot quicker.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
The Highway Code will help you again here. It's available from all good bookshops, or for free on the web.

Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

•do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
•take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution
•where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
•in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority
•be prepared to stop at traffic control systems, road works, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights as necessary
•try to anticipate what pedestrians and cyclists might do. If pedestrians, particularly children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you

Wow!!!! You are an actual legend!! You responded to a post about a previous comment not making any sense with your own post that has absolitely NOTHING to do with the subject matter of the post you just quoted!

That breaks new ground. You Sir, take a bow...................TAKE A BOW!!!!!

:bowdown:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have thought stopping traffic going up there would be more fitting for a proper AONB.

Ha. Yeah, or perhaps build a swanky football ground on it. Not really the best forum to talk about aonb's is it.

Personally agree with the OP. it's my route to the amex and the cyclists are a pain in the arse.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Wow!!!! You are an actual legend!! You responded to a post about a previous comment not making any sense with your own post that has absolitely NOTHING to do with the subject matter of the post you just quoted!

That breaks new ground. You Sir, take a bow...................TAKE A BOW!!!!!

:bowdown:

I must admit I didn't actually notice there was a mistake in the post you quoted - I read it as trying in the first place! I am bowing as we speak.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
I cycle nearly everyday both for work and pleasure and generally have no problem at all interacting with car drivers where we seem to be able to share the road (inc Ditchling Beacon). However after some comments on this thread I think I have got it all wrong and really should be fear for my life every time a car comes near me in case it's one of you guys who think cyclists are the lowest life form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The cyclist would get to the top quicker if they dismounted at the car park at the bottom and pushed their bikes up the footpath. The distance is probably 1/5 of that by road and consequently a lot quicker.
That all depends on how quickly you can cycle up it. :biggrin:

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
That all depends on how quickly you can cycle up it. :biggrin:

I think this thread would have stopped on page one if cyclists were doing 15 - 20 mph up the beacon. Some of them must take close on an hour to get up there.

It does not really bother me, they cause a minute or two's delay. There are many more on the hill these days. I cannot remember the last time I went up there and there was not a few cyclists. Go back just a few years and they were rare beasts testing themselves on the hill.

I do think that one will get seriously hurt soon though, just because of the numbers involved, and the few twats on both sides of the argument who will not compromise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do think that one will get seriously hurt soon though, just because of the numbers involved, and the few twats on both sides of the argument who will not compromise.
I'd image that sentiment, carries through to well over 75% of all vehicle/cycle incidents.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I think this thread would have stopped on page one if cyclists were doing 15 - 20 mph up the beacon. Some of them must take close on an hour to get up there.

It does not really bother me, they cause a minute or two's delay. There are many more on the hill these days. I cannot remember the last time I went up there and there was not a few cyclists. Go back just a few years and they were rare beasts testing themselves on the hill.

What compromise is being suggested ? As a car driver and a cyclist I think both should have the right to use the hill with full awareness of the other and using cautious speed as on other roads, perhaps some more warning signs for cyclists and a reduction in speed whether it be cyclists/cars going up/down, any other suggestions ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports