Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure you're aware but there is a road called the A23 you can use instead, or are you going to campaign for them to remove traffic from that route because it gets in your way?

I'm not sure you're aware but if you bought a mountain bike you cycle up the hill and wouldn't have to use the road at all thus not putting yours and other peoples lives in danger. Or is that not as 'challenging'

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
It's not a great road for cars.
It's a local 'icon' for cyclists.

But it's a road not a cycle path, which is why I steer clear.
Ditchling is more of an annual trip out, nothing more.

What specific reasons do you have for driving it?
(Genuine question I don't know the other roads across the Downs, but I'm sure there's plenty more car friendly roads, than that one)

It's football related. Takes me 20 minutes to get to the Amex by going that way. 40 plus if I go all the way out to the 23

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not sure you're aware but if you bought a mountain bike you cycle up the hill and wouldn't have to use the road at all thus not putting yours and other peoples lives in danger. Or is that not as 'challenging'

If I was riding a mountain bike I probably would go off road but it's a bit tricky to ride a road bike off road. Mountain biking and road biking are two completely different experiences but then I wouldn't expect you to understand given the fact you started this ludicrous thread in the first place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's football related. Takes me 20 minutes to get to the Amex by going that way. 40 plus if I go all the way out to the 23
Still being genuine.
Are Ditchling & the 23 the only routes available.
I can see the 23 being a match day problem, if you're not P&R'ing it

It's just the beacon such a crap road for cars, at the best of times.

D

Deleted member 18477

hmmmm. Did you know that the top cyclists (Wiggins etc.) all consume somthing like 8/9000 (that's about FOUR times the recommended daily average) when training/racing.

Anyway, calories IN exceeding calories OUT makes you fatter. To lose weight you either UP the exercise (in any/all it's forms) or DOWN the calories (or a combo of both). Depending on your metabolism, you may NEED to do exercise to realistically lose weight. Some eat loads and never put on weight, some eat not a lot yet can't shift those pounds. Also, as you get older your metabolism can slow down. That's why you get fatter in your 30/40/50/60s even though you may not eat any more (and/or exercise any differently) than you did in your 20s.

Yep calories, like I said. If you did no exercise and ate the correct amount of calories that your body needs to maintain then you wouldn't get fat. Exercise links in to weightloss yes and thats why Wiggins needs 8000 calories to maintain doing what he does.

P.s. intermittent fasting is where it's at! f*** that 6 meals a day shit to keep your metabolism rocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

It's interesting that you call their cycling 'potentially dangerous' when, by your own clear admission ("I'm forced to overtake"), it's you that is indulging in more potentially lethal behaviour.

But what you've said there is that it's the fact that sometimes it might take 22 minutes while you wait for an appropriate moment to overtake rather than 20 that's driving your gut-wrenching angst?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This motorcyclist got an assault conviction.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Why? cycling isn't the only form of exercise you know? Plus it's calories that make you fat not lack of exercise...

anti-cyclists always are.

yes thats right, and cycling burns off those calories....

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've cycled up there plenty of times.

Though I do tend to pull in every now & again if there's a queue of cars building up. (not for the cars who sit right on your rear wheel and pass within an inch of your handlebars though, they deserve to be delayed)

:wink:

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not a cyclist (if there was cycle lanes around where I live I would cycle) but you could attempt to be more patient. And no one is forced to overtake when it is not safe to. If you want to risk your life and other people's life just to get to your destination a little bit quicker, you ought to have a good look at yourself. And do you really think, that at a time that Britain is becoming full of fat people, you should put a ban on something that keeps people in good shape?

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Fantastic measured response. Its for the bloody cyclists safety as well! Why don't they save up all the money they save on road tax to build their own little path?! That way everyone is happy...

Jesus - road tax does not exist. Anyway let's ban cars from Ditchling Beacon

It’s often assumed that ‘road tax’ pays for Britain’s roads. In fact, it’s general and local taxation that pays for roads. Proceeds from Vehicle Excise Duty – a tax on vehicles, not a payment for use of roads – goes into the Consolidated Fund, the coffers of the Treasury. ‘Road tax’ – a ring-fenced pot of cash raised by motorists and to be spent on roads – was created in 1909, mortally wounded in 1926 by then Chancellor of the Exchequer Winston Churchill and no longer ring-fenced by 1937. Up until 1926, British roads had been – partially – repaired by the monies that accumulated from the tax on motoring. During the motorcar boom of 1896-1936, the British road network grew by just 4 percent, and the great majority of those new roads that were built were paid for not by motor taxation but from local authority funds.

The road tax pot was called the Road Fund. This was administered by a Road Board. The Road Fund had been set up in the 1909/10 Finance Act, part of Lloyd George’s famous ‘People’s Budget’.

“The brunt of the expense at the beginning must be borne by motorists, and to do them justice they are willing, and even anxious, to subscribe handsomely towards such a purpose, so long as a guarantee is given in the method and control of the expenditure that the fund so raised will not merely be devoted exclusively to the improvement of the roads, but that they will be well and wisely spent for that end.”
Budget speech of then Chancellor of the Exchequer, Lloyd George, April 1909

Lloyd George introduced a graduated tax on cars, based on their horsepower, and a tax on imported oil. Motorists had to pay an annual amount into the Road Fund. Lloyd George gave a pledge to motorists: the Road Fund money would be ring-fenced, to be spent only on road maintenance projects. This ring-fencing was deeply opposed by the Treasury and by Customs & Excise. A Customs official wrote in 1909: “The plan of ear-marking special taxes for special purposes is open to serious objection.”

Ring-fencing of taxes was heretical then, and it’s still heretical now (the TV licence fee, ring-fenced to pay for the BBC, is the exception that breaks the rule).

However, Lloyd George ignored his officials:

“I want to make it clear…that expenditure undertaken out of the fund must be directly referable to work done in connection with the exigencies of the motor traffic of the country.”

The Road Board, created by the Development and Road Improvements Bill, published in August 1909, gave grants from the fund to local authorities to repair roads damaged by motorists. Even in the early days of motoring, roads were mostly paid for by general and local taxation. Paying Road Fund dues was never a fee for using a road, it was a fee to be paid out to local authorities for the damage done to roads by motorists. A Customs memo of 1908 said the “increased taxation of motors…” would “aid in restoring local roads damaged by motors licensed in other areas.”

Lloyd George said the Road Fund’s “first charge” was for improvements after damage done by cars; “power to build new roads” was only secondary.

William Plowden, in his 1971 book ‘The Motor Car and Politics, 1896-1970′ said:

“What was striking about the Road Fund was not its failure, but – given the heretical principles on which it was based – its survival: into the mid-1930s in practice, into the mid-1950s in form, and into the present day as a weapon of political argument.”

No new roads were ever built by the Board, and it sponsored few major improvements; much the largest part of its grants (over 90 percent in all) went towards small scale improvements in road surfaces. In 1919 the Ministry of Transport was created with a Roads Department. The Road Board became superfluous and was disbanded. The Road Fund continued to exist, but not for much longer.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Surely this should be banned, it's potentially lethal. Pretty much every weekend cars are backed up and forced in to dangerous overtakes. Fair enough for the London to Brighton but I'm seriously thinking about campaigning to stop it happening all year round. Only s matter of time before someone gets badly hurt!

I agree with you. The worst cyclists are the club members, three wide ten deep. Impossible to overtake the selfish fools.

However maybe we could compromise with the strange ones by banning cars 9am-12pm at weekends or making it one way for cars...towards Falmer at all times.

It's not easy to overtake anywhere on ditchling beacon even for safe drivers. You may have plenty of time to overtake but if the nob-end on the other side of the road is doing 80mph your screwed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
The worst thing about it is, there just isn't another route in to Brighton. Not even one two miles away, that isn't even a dual carriageway, or has easy exits to all parts of Brighton and Hove, really Brighton truly is lacking some sort of A road for people looking to get in to town quickly, I demand my road tax money is spent on this immediately and maybe a bypass, we need one of those too. /QUOTE]

This

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here